Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old July 18th, 2010, 05:43 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation
The Book of Goblin Cutters

The Book of Goblin Cutters

Warriors of Eberron – Collection D2 – Ogre and Goblins

Spoiler Alert!

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check the HeroScapers Gallery or Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio (adapted from home page): The Goblin Cutters are one of the most fun squads. They have a sneaky combination of Goblinesque powers that allow them to work well with many different armies. They might not last long, but they could cause a lot of havoc before they fall!

A: Powers like “Warforged Resolve,” "Tough," and "Scatter" still work even if the figure is effectively "rolling zero."

Scurry: Disengage
Q: Do Goblin Cutters take leaving engagement attacks?
A: Goblin Cutters take leaving engagement attacks just like other figures unless they are moving due to Scurry, which requires another Goblin Cutter to be destroyed by a normal attack from an opponent’s figure.

Scale: Why not use Climb X2?
Q: What is up with Scale? Why not just use Climb X2?
A: The powers are not the same. Scale can help a Goblin Cutter only climb up 4 levels at a time (with an effective height of 5), whereas Climb X2 would allow them to climb an additional level.

Synergy Benefits Received
Torin: Evil Eye Protection
As Small Utgar figures, the Goblin Cutters may benefit from Torin's EVIL EYE PROTECTION Defensive Ability.
Synergy Benefits Offered
Horned Skull Brutes: Expendable Rabble
Because the Goblin Cutters are small Goblin figures, a Horned Skull Brute may use EXPENDABLE RABBLE to sacrifice a Goblin Cutter in order to ignore a wound.
Terrain Benefits Received
-N/A
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Competitiveness of D&D Figures

Goblin Cutters - What’s Your Army Idea?

How Much D2 are You Buying???
Power Rankings

Jexik: Goblin Cutters- They've almost got the Roman problem. Too cost effective for their own good. B+

OEAO: B+

Cleon: Tier 7 (59/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B+

Unit Strategy Review
- TBA (hint: use more than one squad!)

Last edited by superfrog; March 15th, 2019 at 07:03 PM. Reason: vc added
Old July 18th, 2010, 07:03 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Book of Goblin Cutters

It couldn't matter less than it does with these guys, but I'm thinking now that we have Torin, he should probably be listed under Synergy Benefits Received.

Quote:
TORIN : EVIL EYE PROTECTION
As Small Utgar figures, the Goblin Cutters may benefit from Torin's EVIL EYE PROTECTION Defensive Ability.
It should also be listed for the Phantom Knights. Which, now that I think about it, is totally my job . . . And I'm off. Nice job.

~Spite, gonna go fix it
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:46 AM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnyFlame View Post
Mob Attack: Defending with Zero
Q: If I surround my opponent’s figure with at least three Goblin Cutters and cause it to roll zero defense dice, does it get to activate powers which require a defense roll?
A: At the moment, the ruling is that powers like “Warforged Resolve” still work even if the figure is effectively “rolling zero.”
I don't like the wording of this "clarification." Whether you accept it or not, the design team (and pretty much everyone else on this board) agree that having your defense dice reduced to zero by a power that reduces defense rolls by a set value is completely different from a power that unequivocally prevents you from rolling any defense dice ever. So allowing your bias to flavor the clarification by saying "at the moment the particular ruling is such and such" is pretty low in my opinion.

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencerjared View Post
Quote:
Q: If I surround my opponent’s figure with at least three Goblin Cutters and cause it to roll zero defense dice, does it get to activate powers which require a defense roll?
A: At the moment, the ruling is that powers like “Warforged Resolve” still work even if the figure is effectively “rolling zero.”
I don't like the wording of this "clarification." Whether you accept it or not, the design team (and pretty much everyone else on this board) agree that having your defense dice reduced to zero by a power that reduces defense rolls by a set value is completely different from a power that unequivocally prevents you from rolling any defense dice ever. So allowing your bias to flavor the clarification by saying "at the moment the particular ruling is such and such" is pretty low in my opinion.
I made it as clear as I could, and will add the official FAQ once it comes out. I did not intentionally add bias, nor did I add anything incorrect, I only tried to indicate the way I understood it. How would you word it?
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fencerjared wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Maybe I'm being too sensitive about the wording, and perceiving bias where there is none. I don't know how the Book submission process works; if all content has to be vetting by a moderator, then there shouldn't be any issue. Further, no one else has commented on my statement or your rebuttal, so I can't tell whether my opinion is shared or not.

Personally, I would say something along the lines of: "Even if the Goblin Cutters reduce a figure's defense dice to zero with Mob Attack, any abilities that figure has that trigger after a defense roll will still activate. Such powers include but are not limited to Scatter, Warforged Resolve, and Tough."

"While there is a lower class, I am in it, while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." - Eugene V Debs
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:40 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Just take out the words "At the moment, the ruling is that". It's unnecessary.
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A: Yes

Fixed. That is all the answer it needs.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old July 19th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Just take out the words "At the moment, the ruling is that". It's unnecessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
A: Yes

Fixed. That is all the answer it needs.
Also, either of these would work better than my unnecessarily long clarification.

Old July 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Just a process note: as one of the Moderators for the BOOKS, I coordinate and vet the new BOOKS for format, but, being a community project, the community has the editing process; and we can see it at work right here. <smile>

Last edited by Revdyer; July 20th, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:23 PM

The Books belong to the community, so I changed it although I still think it was fine the way it was. There is no right or wrong interpretation anyway, just a consensus, which "is what it is" right now.

Curious, would anyone be riled if I said "At the moment, the Yankees are in first in the AL East?"
Old July 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
The Books belong to the community, so I changed it although I still think it was fine the way it was. There is no right or wrong interpretation anyway, just a consensus, which "is what it is" right now.

Curious, would anyone be riled if I said "At the moment, the Yankees are in first in the AL East?"
That could change, rolling zero dice is still rolling for the purpose of defensive abilities....that will not change. No ruling needed or forth coming. Otherwise great job BurnyFlame.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape

Last edited by xraine69; July 19th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:18 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

No, but I would be riled if you said, "At the moment, there are 9 innings in a standard Major League Baseball game." There is an implication that the rule is variable or may soon change.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units