Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Notices

Old July 24th, 2015, 12:26 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
What General would each Planeswalker follow?

I've never played "Magic: the Gathering" card game and I am reluctantly planning to acquire and learn this new "Arena of the Planeswalkers" game because it is so similar to "HeroScape." Honestly, I am hoping (probably in vain) for some sort of HS revival, but I don't really expect that to happen. Call me a pessimist.

Anyway, looking ahead to possible C3V custom cards for the five figures in AotP, what Valhalla General would you expect each of them to follow? My first impulse is to put all of them under Utgar because that's whom all the other '___-walkers' are aligned with, right. j/k ~~lol~~ Actually I was thinking that perhaps:

Chandra Nalaar (RED Mana) . . . might follow Utgar, just to coordinate her color scheme with his cards.

Nissa Revane (GREEN Mana) . . . would follow Ullar because that's where the other Elves congregate.

Jace Beleren (BLUE Mana) . . . probably follows Jandar because their names both start with ehletter "J" and also match the blue stat cards.

Lilana Vess (BLACK Mana) . . . I'm not sure if she would swear allegiance to Vydar or Vakrill; how evil do you think she really is hanging around with all those undeads.

Gideon Jura (WHITE Mana) . . . This is even a bigger problem for my ignorant self; so I'm guessing that he would follow either Einar or Aquilla.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; July 24th, 2015 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Added last name for the five PW's
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:13 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
General Confusion

Chandra could fit under Utgar or Einar (but not likely) or maybe Aquilla. Red is about burning your opponent's life total as quickly as possible and lots of attacks with very little defense. No general fits her quite well but gun to my head I pick Aquilla since it's the most likely to have all Chandra's dragon and fire biz.

Nissa is Ullar. Easy.

Jace is Vydar. Blue is all about trickery so Vydar fits the best.

Liliana is Utgar or Valkrill. Slight lean to Utgar. Black is about death and killing things but tends to be more orderly which fits more with Utgar than Valkrill.

Gideon is Jandar or Einar but most likely Jandar. White is the closest thing that Magic has to Jandar.

~Dysole, noting that really a Green/Red would fit Aquilla best, a White/Red or White/Blue would fit Einar best (maybe White/Black), and a Black/Red would fit Valkrill best
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:46 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: What General would each Planeswalker follow?

@Dysole - Thanks for the insights. I just wanted to start the ball rolling with a lighthearted discussion. I'm sure that there will be plenty more to talk about in the months ahead.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 24th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Chandra is tough. I think an argument could be made for Ullar as well, with Frenzy and creatures with 0 defense. If Aquilla is the wild side of Ullar mixed with the tribal element of Utgar, then I guess I like Aquilla for her as well. Einar for her is a non-starter with it's discipline theme.

~Aldin, thinking she's really a non-evil Utgar more than anything else

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 24th, 2015, 02:44 PM

G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby! G1shark rolls all skulls baby!

I vote Chandra to Aquilla for rebellious tribal women unite.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity, I have erased that line."
Old July 24th, 2015, 03:58 PM

McHotcakes knows what's in an order marker McHotcakes knows what's in an order marker McHotcakes knows what's in an order marker

I've put some thought into this and this is where I stand on the general alignments.

Gideon- Jandar. I don't know much about his character but he is described as having a strong sense of justice and that seems right up Jandar's alley.

Jace- Ullar. I know some say being tricky makes him a shoe in for Vydar, but he honestly is a much better fit for Ullar. Jace is an academic and a scholar which is more of Ullar's style. The wizards are known for their intelligence, Charos is said to be the smartest dragon in history, Dead eye Dan is very well educated, and the Shaolin Monks are known for their wisdom. Ullar is the brainy general and Jace would fit in great with him. Not to mention Jace is a good guy and Vydar is a little too wishy washy for Jace to pledge allegiance to.

Chandra- Aquilla. Aquilla is known for being wild and free, and that also describes Chandra to a t. She is a rebel who despises authority and just wants to live her life free from oppression.

Nissa- Aquilla. I know this is an unpopular opinion considering in heroscape elf=Ullar, but there are almost always two types of elves in fantasy, the high elves, who are very regal and wise. These are the ones that Ullar recruits. And the Wood elves, elves who are much more wild and isolated from the world. Nissa-falls into the Wood elf category. She hates civilization and is a nature mage. Not to mention she has dabbled in dark magic, something an Ullar warrior wouldn't do.

Liliana- Utgar. Yes she uses the dead as soldiers but that doesn't make her a Valkrill follower. Heroscape generals pick soldiers based on why they fight not how. The difference between Utgar and Valkrill is Utgar wants to conquer the world and Valkrill wants to destroy it. Liliana uses her necromancy to conquer enimies and she wants to ultimatley become powerful enough to live forever. And immortality isn't really something Valkrill, a guys who wants to end existence, is really interested in.

My Customs My Super Customs
I see you quiver with antici...
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 24th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Nissa with Ullar and Jace with Vydar are no brainers, definitely agreed there.

Liliana is 100% Utgar. She's in the traditional "power at any cost" mode, and fits in right alongside Cyprien and his ilk.

Chandra... I lean toward Aquilla. Freedom and action, emotion and a lack of civilization. Chandra chafes under any authority, so that's all appropriate. Jandar is also an option, though, for those same reasons, and possibly Einar if only for how much she'd like the Gladiators.

Gideon, at this point, leans toward Einar for me. 1) He's from Theros, a world themed around Ancient Greece. 2) He's strongly martial, and is most associated with Akros and the Boros, two soldierly/militaristic groups. 3) He's the most "down-and-dirty" Planeswalker, which I think suits Einar's low-tech, low-magic style. I do see a lot of Jandar in him, though, so it's a toss-up.
Old July 27th, 2015, 10:47 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

What I'd go with:

Gideon: Einar. White Mana is often associated with order, or justice. It doesn't have to include heroics. Some examples of White Mana include money, or "Taxing effects." Einar's army is often formed of Disiplined troops, which symbolizes order. Einar often chooses honorable warriors, with little to no mercenaries, showing a high sense of justice.

Jace: Vydar. Blue Mana typically includes traits of subterfuge, such as "Counterspells". Blue seeks to secretly achive its goals, waiting until the time is right to unleash its master plan. Blue is one of the most adaptable colors, with its talents ranging from good to evil, lawful to chaotic. Blue is nuetral, like the General Vydar, who is a paragon of Blue.

Lilliana: Utgar. Black is about death, decay, zombies, and doing whatever it takes to win. Black is ruthless, and will sacrifice its own resources and life, even its freedom, to win. Utgar is ruthless. His Hivelords chomp on his Nagrubs, using them as expendable snacks to eventually win. Utgar's troops are Relentless, and will fight to the end to win.

Chandra: Valkrill. Red is one of the more chaotic colors, often doing whatever it feels like, and not what it should do. Red's power comes from passion and emotion, not laws or resources. Red will do whatever it takes to satisfy the desires of its beating heart. Valkrill has been attributed with pure chaos, something Red is one of the best at. Red aims to do whatever it likes, whenever it wants, and wherever it is. Red has the greatest sense of "Attitude", meaning it doesn't care what you do, as long as it get what it wants.

Nissa: Aquilla. Green revolves around nature, and its ideals. Only the fittest shall survive, the weak are just merely prey to feed the strong. Green uses brute force to overcome all obstacles, no strategy or complicated plots needed, just sheer power. Aquilla is nature incarnate. She has an army packed with Predators, like Green. She preys on her weaker enemies until she has reached natural balance. Green has no time to think or use knowledge. Green is fast and can overtake you in a matter of seconds, like Aquilla's greatest armies. Green is a force of nature, like Aquilla.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old July 28th, 2015, 04:36 AM

betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Chandra: Valkrill. Red is one of the more chaotic colors, often doing whatever it feels like, and not what it should do. Red's power comes from passion and emotion, not laws or resources. Red will do whatever it takes to satisfy the desires of its beating heart. Valkrill has been attributed with pure chaos, something Red is one of the best at. Red aims to do whatever it likes, whenever it wants, and wherever it is. Red has the greatest sense of "Attitude", meaning it doesn't care what you do, as long as it get what it wants.
You were pretty spot on with most of them, with some being debatable, but I had an issue with this pairing. I'm not trying to step on your toes, all of this is just speculation anyway. Valkrill's units and general theme don't sell the "I do whatever I feel like" kind of chaos. It seems more like the "Burn the world, burn it all and then when we're done set ourselves on fire so that all is pure chaos. HAHAHAHA!" kind of chaos. With the information in your paragraph I'd put Chandra in Utgar, Vydar, or Aquilla myself.

Just my
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:40 PM

aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby! aquamaniac27 rolls all skulls baby!

My current WIP customs look like this:

Gideon: Einar (Disciplined soldier)
Jace: Vydar (Tricky mind mage)
Nissa: Ullar (Green elf)
Chandra: Utgar (Chaos, emotion, fire. This was a tough call.)
Liliana: Valkrill (She may summon undead, but her power stems from a deal with a demon, and corruption and death are her main weapons.)
Old August 22nd, 2015, 06:31 PM

blooded scion is surprisingly tart

I think the generals would be forced to follow the planeswalkers.
All Your Plane Belong To Us!
Old August 24th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamaniac27 View Post
My current WIP customs look like this:

Gideon: Einar (Disciplined soldier)
Jace: Vydar (Tricky mind mage)
Nissa: Ullar (Green elf)
Chandra: Utgar (Chaos, emotion, fire. This was a tough call.)
Liliana: Valkrill (She may summon undead, but her power stems from a deal with a demon, and corruption and death are her main weapons.)
Questions (as a non-Magic player)

Is White in Magic linked to honor, valiancy, etc. (Jandar)? Or more to discipline and domination (Einar)?

Is Liliana and Black linked to a "let the world burn; destruction is the only goal" attitude (Valkrill)? Or to a desire to subject all things to our evil power (Utgar)?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender