Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 1st, 2013, 05:42 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness
How to Build a Heroscape Map From Scratch! New Map!

Building a Heroscape Map from Scratch!

As a Heroscaper with limited time and a lot of parental responsibilities, I have always wanted to have "ready to play" permanent copies of classic maps.

I puzzled over the best way to achieve this for about a year and this is the solution I came up with.

First I had to select my base material. I thought that the insulation sheets that are 4'x8'x1/2" would work, but after making some small test models, it was quickly apparent that the thickness is about 1/4" too large for HS maps. I finally settled on laminating two sheets of foamcore, which makes a thickness of 3/8" which is VERY close to HS map dimensions. It is a bit annoying to have to laminate each set, but foamcore has the benefit of being WIDELY available.

Second, I had to figure out how I could position each layer so that it would line up with the other layers. Solution: I printed a hexagonal grid that was 2'x2', then laminated it to photo mat board.

BETTER SOLUTION! Build the layer of the map with regular Heroscape terrain, the trace it onto the foamboard with a 0.5 mechanical pencil. The tracing will take the form of regular and inverted "V's." Then when the pencil "V"s are done, "connect the dots" with a black sharpie. THIS IS SO MUCH SIMPLER AND EFFICIENT!!! I have no idea why I did not think of this my first time through. I think I just looked at regular HS terrain and thought... "well that's not traceable." BUT IT TOTALLY IS!!!

Once this was done, I took a very small hole punch (sized for Leather work -size 0 Approx 1/8" diam.) and punched a hole at every corner and intersection of the grid. This is several hundred punches! (Pictured above is what the template leaves behind using gold spray paint)Once done though, I was able to lay this template on my base material and create a reference grid that kept me lined up through the project.

Using a standard Virtualscape PDF file I drew corresponding pieces for each layer. This was a fun part! You don't have to follow preformed Heroscape map shapes. I try to get as much of each layer done with a single cut as possible. If you do this, you will soon learn that it is way easier to do a map where the entire layer can be cut out in one fell swoop... rather than something like "Mole Hills" where there are a bunch of individual pieces that make up each layer.

Once all the pieces are cut out, I glued them together and created what looks like an "all-snow" version of Fulcrum! I used Elmer's glue that had been thinned with water at a 1-3 ratio. This creates a VERY strong bond.
I now recommend 3M 77 for this step. http://www.amazon.com/3M-Super-Multi...spray+adhesive

Then I painted the whole thing brown - with a bit of blue for where water would meet the edges. I used tempera paint since I was indoors during the winter. Next time I will use some foam safe spray paint!
Use acrylics from Wal-mart or Hobby Lobby. Much much better!

Finally I printed out sheets of stickers that show different types of hexes. Then I cut out and put them on the top of the map where they needed to go.

It is quite a project to undertake, but I have gotten a lot of use out of this map. Also this makes many very expensive pieces of terrain accessible again. Finally a challenge for the daring... use this method to make maps that have never existed before... like awesome sci-fi texture maps!

Map #2
EverSteel a Sci-Fi Retheme of Evergreen https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1Iq...w2dDMzeGM/edit

I chose this map for several reasons... I wanted an ultra portable map that could fit in the tightest locations. I wanted a small map to test retheming. We had a tournament where only trophy maps were used and this one was the most popular. I did go down to 8 LOS blockers from 10. Sometimes I will put up the ruins if people ask nicely! I am working on a ruin that is made from opening one of the papercraft columns... will post when done.

Supply list:
Scroll Saw or Band Saw
Full Sheet adhesive labels
Color printing (I used Staples- generally better quality than home color printers)
Acrylic Paint
Trees, bushes, rocks or other LOS blockers
Glue

Cost= About 35 bucks.
Time= About 30 hours working around a parenting schedule!

PM me if you would like necessary files.

Louisville Monthly Tournament
"I am a much better player than my record would indicate."

Last edited by El Diabolo; March 11th, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:44 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: How to Build a Heroscape Map From Scratch!

Brilliant job El Diabolo!
Old July 1st, 2013, 05:49 PM
HoSSpitable little wookiee (apparently "wookiee" has 2 E's, who knew?)

heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun heroscaper2010 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I got the chance to play on Fulcrum on Saturday at a tourney and when I looked at that picture I thought they were real tiles with custom water/jungle.

My Maps
Tournament Record: 28-28: .500!
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:43 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
I got the chance to play on Fulcrum on Saturday at a tourney and when I looked at that picture I thought they were real tiles with custom water/jungle.
Yeah... I could have made the water straight blue like the original tiles... but I was like... why not make it even cooler? I have a really good lava texture too!

Old July 1st, 2013, 06:58 PM

Rosencrantz knows what's in an order marker Rosencrantz knows what's in an order marker Rosencrantz knows what's in an order marker

Bravo
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Wow, I love it. A bit of work, but not only could you recreate HS maps, but you could print out whatever-the-heck kind of stickers you'd like! Batcave map, here we come!
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:20 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Fantastic work El D!

+rep for sure. ^_^

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:24 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Hm... I wonder, do you think a Dremel could do the cutting work, there? I wonder how easy it would be to make custom icicles, glaciers, etc. using that kind of material...

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:31 PM

Slaine knows what's in an order marker Slaine knows what's in an order marker

It looks great.. And i love these insulationsheets. They are easy to make scenery from, you can easily cut it in the shape you want.
Old July 1st, 2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Wow, I love it. A bit of work, but not only could you recreate HS maps, but you could print out whatever-the-heck kind of stickers you'd like! Batcave map, here we come!
Agreed! Once I find the time, I want my next map to be science fiction styled. Metal plate and rivets ala Space Hulk!

Old July 1st, 2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Hm... I wonder, do you think a Dremel could do the cutting work, there? I wonder how easy it would be to make custom icicles, glaciers, etc. using that kind of material...
I did put together a design for replacement tundra LOS blockers... but with Auggies selling 3D molded replacements I don't really think they're necessary anymore.

A dremel would be OK, but for the amount of cutting the map requires a table scroll saw or band saw is best.

Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:09 AM

betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby! betawolf36 rolls all skulls baby!

I've been trying to find an inexpensive way to make permanent Official and BoV maps. This is much cheaper (and easier) than my plan to cast them in soft plastic.
Thanks El D!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion