Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old April 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Location: Kansas City metro area (Grain Valley, Blue Springs)
paradox22 knows what's in an order marker paradox22 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
All children are different and will respond to different discipline techniques. The lucky parents are the ones who find the method that works best early on, and the wise parents are the ones who recognize it and stick with it.
God I hope I'm "lucky" and "wise"...if not...oh well guess I'll just spank the lil devils!

In all seriousness though, I have a 16 month old that has never been spanked and has never even seen a spanking...yet guess what he does when he gets mad? Yep...He hits... He wasn't taught this behavior and hes not imitating it either...it is instinctive.

I've read all the studies and Im convinced spanking is the solution... not the problem.

Get your Kansas City Metro Scaping fix here: http://kcheroscapers.getphpbb.com/forum.html
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
All children are different and will respond to different discipline techniques. The lucky parents are the ones who find the method that works best early on, and the wise parents are the ones who recognize it and stick with it.
God I hope I'm "lucky" and "wise"...if not...oh well guess I'll just spank the lil devils!

In all seriousness though, I have a 16 month old that has never been spanked and has never even seen a spanking...yet guess what he does when he gets mad? Yep...He hits... He wasn't taught this behavior and hes not imitating it either...it is instinctive.

I've read all the studies and Im convinced spanking is the solution... not the problem.
There are also kids who are purely of the devil, who will snatch the belt out of your hands mid-swing and strangle you with it, all the while happily humming the Sesame Street™ theme. For these children I recommend they spend some quality time outdoors. (If you're on the space shuttle, that is.)

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej

I'm no parent, but I have 3 (that's right, 3) psychology classes under my belt, so that pretty much makes me an expert on children (I'm joking, just in case someone thinks I'm being a jerk). Hitting may be instinctive, but I wonder if your child has ever seen someone else hit. Is it possible that he seen hitting on TV or from other children he has played with?
Old April 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Location: Kansas City metro area (Grain Valley, Blue Springs)
paradox22 knows what's in an order marker paradox22 knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Hitting may be instinctive, but I wonder if your child has ever seen someone else hit. Is it possible that he seen hitting on TV or from other children he has played with?
We only let him watch pre-school programs on TV... no hitting there. And to my knowledge, he's never seen one of his little friends hit or be hit (even when they need it).

Violence is an instinctual response to frustration/aggression...as is running away (Fight or Flight). Look at the animal kingdom and you'll see it quite clearly. When a mother wolf wants to discipline her cub, she "nips" him, biting him hard enough to hurt him but not injure him.
In the end...we we are all animals of human race.

Get your Kansas City Metro Scaping fix here: http://kcheroscapers.getphpbb.com/forum.html
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:44 PM

kookalives has disabled reputation
Re: Where have you all been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
I agree with you, there are BETTER ways to discipline children. I would prefer if my parents did the things your parents did. I am just saying, spanking is not an evil thing that turns children into monster serial killers.
Sounds like we are in full agreement on this one. I think a lot of it has to do with how the parents act beyond the spanking. The less active parents are more likely to spank because it takes no thought and is a weak form of parenting for the most part, especially when it is the main form of control over the child.
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:55 PM

kookalives has disabled reputation
Quote:
Spanking is neither the problem nor the solution.

I don't spank my boys because I have seen enough in my own life and talked with my wife and others and I am positive that spanking DOES NOT WORK. No one I personally know ever changed their bad behavior because they got spanked. They learned to hide it better and so became better liars due to it.

I am not saying spanking is the cause, it is just that from what I have seen the parents who use spanking the most are more likely the ones who are going to not be part of their children's lives or are going to be over controlling.

You can't blame spanking itself nor can you make the claim that is kids got spanked more they would be better behaved. It is the actual parenting that matters.

As for the hitting aspect, yes kids hit due to the natural instinct to do so. That does not mean it is the right thing for them to do. You teach them not to do it and make sure they understand that hitting is wrong. After all part of the big claim we make about why humans are so much better than the common animals, is that we can think and go beyond our instincts.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
I was spanked, and worse when a kid, but my dad had a better idea

Sometimes I had to do intence physical trainning

But I think that I have come to be a better person out of it, and not afraid to be hit

I still fear my mom over it though, and when she is mad I instinctivly flinch when she raised her hand (for any reason).

However she has stoped hitting me, because I think she now fears me too (though not on the same level I have for her)

I am a big guy, although I don't look like it, I am about 6, 3 probably a lot larger than most of the adults on here

I have for the past few years the ability for when hit, to go, "Hit me one more time, I will knock you out for a week"

But I never have

For the reason, I respect my elders, and would not try to abuse any of them

I would never hurt anyone, unless they accually tried to hurt me first

Is spanking the solution, no, but it is A solution, and a lot better than "Go to your room (which most likely has TV, Video Games, etc...)

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:30 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyguy94920
Is spanking the solution, no, but it is A solution, and a lot better than "Go to your room (which most likely has TV, Video Games, etc...)
Hear Hear. I hate it when parents send their kids to their rooms.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:35 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
I won't bother with quoting, but I'm also going to argue against Kook's points of liberal parenting. Society is NOT headed in the right direction, especially when it comes to our kids.

Discipline is the answer, not passive-emotional happy time parenting. As a parent, it is your responsibility to shape and mold your children into functional members of society. You're not there to be their friend, their pal, their enabler, giving in to their every whim and temper tantrum. Today's kids are spoiled. They don't appreciate anything, because everywhere you turn, parents are bombarded with BS about time-outs, and other such nonsense.

When I was growing up, you behaved in school. Because you KNEW that if you got out of line, and your parents found out about it, it was going to be twice as bad when you got home. You had to answer for your actions, and be punished for them. You can NOT learn and grow as a person if you are not held accountable for what you do. This is the foundation for liberal thinking, the "do what makes you feel good" mentality that lands out of control kids on the Jerry Springer show.

These kids are brought up in homes where their parents didn't care enough to spank them. They thought they were doing right by their kids by being their friends instead of their parents. That it was okay to buy them cell phones and video games instead of making them find summer jobs to pay for their own stuff, and learn the value of money and responsibility.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat
I won't bother with quoting, but I'm also going to argue against Kook's points of liberal parenting. Society is NOT headed in the right direction, especially when it comes to our kids.

Discipline is the answer, not passive-emotional happy time parenting. As a parent, it is your responsibility to shape and mold your children into functional members of society. You're not there to be their friend, their pal, their enabler, giving in to their every whim and temper tantrum. Today's kids are spoiled. They don't appreciate anything, because everywhere you turn, parents are bombarded with BS about time-outs, and other such nonsense.

When I was growing up, you behaved in school. Because you KNEW that if you got out of line, and your parents found out about it, it was going to be twice as bad when you got home. You had to answer for your actions, and be punished for them. You can NOT learn and grow as a person if you are not held accountable for what you do. This is the foundation for liberal thinking, the "do what makes you feel good" mentality that lands out of control kids on the Jerry Springer show.

These kids are brought up in homes where their parents didn't care enough to spank them. They thought they were doing right by their kids by being their friends instead of their parents. That it was okay to buy them cell phones and video games instead of making them find summer jobs to pay for their own stuff, and learn the value of money and responsibility.
Which method was used to raise you?

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:48 PM
The Orc Master

Browncoat is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
I am the product of years of research, and was raised in a laboratory under monitored conditions, being a clone of Rush Limbaugh on a genetic level.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browncoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
I am the product of years of research, and was raised in a laboratory under monitored conditions, being a clone of Rush Limbaugh on a genetic level.
They should have gone with Strom Thurman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General