Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 28th, 2022, 12:34 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: blast_shark's Customs: Lachlan MacDirk Repaint

I like the idea of a MacDirk Champion that's encouraged to stay in the fray instead of retreating once its Life drops. When testing Lachlan, I'd examine the viability of attacking friendly "fodder" units to maintain a suitable charge of Attack Momentum between engagements.

The repaint is cool, too.
Old November 28th, 2022, 07:34 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice custom...Might I suggest some rather big changes that don't actually change the custom?

Change the last name and put him in either Einar or Aquilla. That way you could do clan wars without deciding who's evil (or leave him as evil and call him Lachlan MacSavage). You could also to repaint the other three in the squad (and Alistair if you want a squad of 4) to be his clan.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; November 28th, 2022 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Like this custom!
Old November 28th, 2022, 05:03 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Lachlan is pretty awesome, my guess with counterstrike would be that counterstrike applies first (and he gets a momentum marker afterward), because counterstrike says “when rolling” and momentum is “after attacking”.
Old November 29th, 2022, 05:22 AM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
Lachlan is pretty awesome, my guess with counterstrike would be that counterstrike applies first (and he gets a momentum marker afterward), because counterstrike says “when rolling” and momentum is “after attacking”.
After considering it more, I think this interpretation is correct. If I were to make an ability trigger after attack, defense, and wounds were resolved, I would word it similarly to how I have it currently. "After [NAME] attacks a figure" is how I would describe "After attacking" with the additional requirement of having actually made an attack.

I don't like that interaction because I feel like getting hit with a counter strike should result in 0 momentum. I think it can be changed to work the way I want it though:

Looking at Page 13 of the BftU rulebook, it has this as a single step in making an attack:
2. Check the Attack number on your Attacker's Army Card, adding any extra dice for height advantage, special powers, or Glyphs. Then roll that number of attack dice. After you roll, the Defender rolls the number of defense dice on his Defender's Army Card, adding any extra dice for height advantage, shadow spaces, special powers, or Glyphs.

I think because the rulebook defines the order as -- Attacker Rolls THEN Defender Rolls -- there should be design space to allow an ability to trigger between that "sub-step" in the attack. I would word it as "After [NAME] rolls attack dice [ABILITY]."

I can't think of any ability that already has a timing condition like this to use as a precedent, so hopefully that language is suitable. It could also add "...and before the defender rolls dice," but I feel like that is too wordy.
Old November 29th, 2022, 07:31 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast_shark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamissflash View Post
After considering it more, I think this interpretation is correct. If I were to make an ability trigger after attack, defense, and wounds were resolved, I would word it similarly to how I have it currently. "After [NAME] attacks a figure" is how I would describe "After attacking" with the additional requirement of having actually made an attack.

I don't like that interaction because I feel like getting hit with a counter strike should result in 0 momentum. I think it can be changed to work the way I want it though:

Looking at Page 13 of the BftU rulebook, it has this as a single step in making an attack:
2. Check the Attack number on your Attacker's Army Card, adding any extra dice for height advantage, special powers, or Glyphs. Then roll that number of attack dice. After you roll, the Defender rolls the number of defense dice on his Defender's Army Card, adding any extra dice for height advantage, shadow spaces, special powers, or Glyphs.

I think because the rulebook defines the order as -- Attacker Rolls THEN Defender Rolls -- there should be design space to allow an ability to trigger between that "sub-step" in the attack. I would word it as "After [NAME] rolls attack dice [ABILITY]."

I can't think of any ability that already has a timing condition like this to use as a precedent, so hopefully that language is suitable. It could also add "...and before the defender rolls dice," but I feel like that is too wordy.
My 2 cents FWIW.

I'm not 100% sure how you want this to work and I agree that being hit with counter strike should result in a zero momentum. I think you have it covered. I also think that simply being attacked (without taking a hit) would not slow him down which again you have covered.

"When Lachlan receives on or more wounds, remove all momentum markers from this army card" which to me means that if he is hit with a counterstrike his momentum is broken.
He attacks, gains momentum "after the attack" but loses it if he takes a hit from the counterstrike. While it wouldn't prevent whirlwind frenzy from continuing, it does slow down his accuracy of attack.
While Lachlan attacks every figure adjacent, the player would then chose who he attacks first...presumably leaving those with counterstrike to be hit last last and the attacking players figures to be attacked first. Which is a cool combination.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; November 29th, 2022 at 07:36 AM. Reason: Or am I over thinking...
Old November 29th, 2022, 01:17 PM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
My 2 cents FWIW.

I'm not 100% sure how you want this to work and I agree that being hit with counter strike should result in a zero momentum. I think you have it covered. I also think that simply being attacked (without taking a hit) would not slow him down which again you have covered.

"When Lachlan receives on or more wounds, remove all momentum markers from this army card" which to me means that if he is hit with a counterstrike his momentum is broken.
He attacks, gains momentum "after the attack" but loses it if he takes a hit from the counterstrike. While it wouldn't prevent whirlwind frenzy from continuing, it does slow down his accuracy of attack.
While Lachlan attacks every figure adjacent, the player would then chose who he attacks first...presumably leaving those with counterstrike to be hit last last and the attacking players figures to be attacked first. Which is a cool combination.
You've got it! However, I visualize it as Lochlan gaining momentum during the attack instead of after, and counter strike mucks that up.

Also, the ordering of attack targets gets a bit more complex than just leaving counterstrike defenders last (that is generally the best way to do normal whirlwind/shaolin assaults). Because momentum counters also boost melee defense, it may be better at times to attack counterstrikers first so you can ensure a momentum build-up by the end of the turn. I agree you should almost always attack your own figures first (unless he starts the turn with full momentum and there is a counterstriker and friendly figures adjacent to him)
Old November 29th, 2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
Nice custom...Might I suggest some rather big changes that don't actually change the custom?

Change the last name and put him in either Einar or Aquilla. That way you could do clan wars without deciding who's evil (or leave him as evil and call him Lachlan MacSavage). You could also to repaint the other three in the squad (and Alistair if you want a squad of 4) to be his clan.
I considered this, but I believe that Utgar is the best general for Lachlan with the lore I envision for him (which I will eventually add to the OP). If I was going to change his name, it would probably be "Lachlan the Mad," but I don't intend to change it at the moment. Also, leaving Utgar would remove Ornak synergies which is something I'd like to try out.

I see Lachlan as a younger cousin of Alastair who became something of a war-hero in clan MacDirk. Tragically, the renown and bloodlust began corrupting young Lachlan, and he became increasingly reckless on the battlefield to the point he was endangering his fellow warriors as much as his enemies.
One battle, Alastair (or another MacDirk leader) ordered Lachlan to remain at camp as the watch-captain so he would not be a liability on the battlefield. This decision wasn't made lightly, as a considerable portion of warriors still held him in favor, and Lachlan abstaining from the fight would hurt their morale. Lachlan was offended by this proposition and secretly planned to join the battle regardless.
Abandoning his post at camp, Lachlan burst from seemingly nowhere into the heat of battle; this time with a ferocity never seen before. Scores of warriors from each side were caught in this rage, and Alastair ordered a small withdrawal to preserve his company. Without the full support of the MacDirks, Lachlan was eventually overtaken by the ranks of their enemy and was never seen again.

Another thing to consider about the good vs evil point (and this includes a lot of my personal opinion and embellishment of the lore): I think every Valkyrie is evil, and their summons maintain their own morality (though their decisions on Valhalla are likely influenced by some sort of propaganda that happens during the summoning process).

The Valkyrie are all obsessed with war over the wellsprings, and they have their own narrow ideas of what "the perfect warrior" is. Anyone they see that they interpret as fitting their ideals is who they summon; this doesn't necessarily mean their summons actually share ideals. At the same time, alliances between Valkyries are not made because of virtue, but rather because they see it as an opportunity to check the power of another Valkyrie. These things are what makes sense in my head that there isn't any faction-locking of units.

Valkyrie are evil, they make alliances because they're scared of someone else being more powerful, and their summons don't necessarily share their morality.

I think Utgar would be the most likely recruiter for Lachlan with that story because he sees Lachlan as having a love for violence and a willingness to betray. I also think it's likely that while on Valhalla, Lachlan could encounter MacDirks that remember him as a valiant warrior and embrace the opportunity for reunion.
Old December 9th, 2022, 07:10 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think the phrasing you're looking for would be "after Lachlan rolls attack dice" or something like that. Similar to the Deathreavers' Scatter but with attack dice.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards