Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old November 16th, 2022, 11:16 PM

Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker Grim knows what's in an order marker
Re: This is how Avalon Hill Heroscape succeeds

Sooner or later, 3D color printed minis will be a thing. I know nothing, but I think, they already kinda are, but it's too hard for most people, and the quality is sorta yuck-muck. But... sooner or later. Which means... beats me.
Old November 16th, 2022, 11:43 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

I kind of feel like the only way Heroscape really happens as a product (assuming they stick with the 250 price point and 2 million goal in a future campaign) is to switch to a print your own product. They sell the files to print your own official AoA units and cards. I don't know if that will happen with Hasbro.
Old November 17th, 2022, 02:07 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Given the options at the local game store for unpainted minis, I am surprised they didn't expand that market, especially since it's their own company (WotC) that is already there! The unpainted mini market with a format ranging from two medium figures per pack for 5 dollars to huge dragons costing up to 100 dollars seems to be doing quite well. HeroScape fits great in the same format - sell little individual boosters with single squads or a couple heroes. That would tap into the market by offering something thematically new, but similar format, and they could plan on having just as much success from miniature collectors and roleplayers alone as Nolzurs or Deep Cuts AND then add on HeroScapers of Old and then showcase the crap out of HeroScape terrain and then show what the game can do. This idea is totally viable!!!

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old November 17th, 2022, 01:26 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKing99 View Post
How's mass 3D printing nowadays? Solves the mold cost problem.
Still nowhere near as efficient as injection molding, even for low-quality low-resolution models.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 17th, 2022, 02:47 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Turkey 13 View Post
As someone who owns everything from Heroscape's original run (besides Aquilla's Alliance), I will say there were two things that stopped me from backing this: price point and lack of painted miniatures. $250 was way too high. If they would have tried this for $100 or $150 I probably would have backed it if the miniatures would have been painted. I play Warhammer 40K. I have painted tons of miniatures and terrain, but having the pre-painted miniatures was a big draw with the original game.
You really would've paid $150 for 12-15 painted minis? Like that's what we're talking about if these were painted.
Old November 17th, 2022, 04:06 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
Quote:
As someone who owns everything from Heroscape's original run (besides Aquilla's Alliance), I will say there were two things that stopped me from backing this: price point and lack of painted miniatures. $250 was way too high. If they would have tried this for $100 or $150 I probably would have backed it if the miniatures would have been painted. I play Warhammer 40K. I have painted tons of miniatures and terrain, but having the pre-painted miniatures was a big draw with the original game.
You really would've paid $150 for 12-15 painted minis? Like that's what we're talking about if these were painted.
I would pay $100 for a restart with something the size of the D&D master set and hope that their are a couple bonus tiers.

That's only 10 figures I believe.

But that's to help restart the game the way the game should be...painted.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; November 17th, 2022 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Math was never my strong suit.
Old November 17th, 2022, 06:35 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Classic Age Master set 4, Large Hero expansion 4, Desert Terrain expansion, and Waves 11 and 12. All for $250 or available a la carte with no purchase limit.

Stretch goal is the unreleased Marvel wave 1.
Old November 17th, 2022, 06:45 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox View Post
Quote:
I would pay $100 for a restart with something the size of the D&D master set and hope that their are a couple bonus tiers.

That's only 10 figures I believe.

But that's to help restart the game the way the game should be...painted.
Funnily enough, $100 would be far less than what the D&D Master Set goes for nowadays! All you have to do is look on Ebay to see that there are, in fact, people who will pay hundreds of dollars for the older painted sets (though that is largely because those older sets are no longer in production).

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old November 17th, 2022, 09:34 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Linking it to HeroQuest and creating the HGU - "Hasbro Gaming Universe" would have helped sell a few more units. They wouldn't have to take place in the same world, but a General drafting some of the characters would have established a link between them.

They had to develop new IP for the new version of HeroQuest to replace some of the Games Workshop characters. The newly created Abomination creature crossing over would have been good promotion for both games.

We already had Risk 2210 characters (Microcorp Agents) from another Avalon Hill game in the old version. And mirroring that would have helped it feel more like 'Scape.
Old November 18th, 2022, 01:48 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

This will be my best post so far on this.

>>Why are 90% of the AoA units outside the theme of traditional Heroscape?<<

>>Why did 90% of the pre-campaign investment go into the model design?<<

Because the models are reusable for Hasbro's other games.

It's a way to minimize risk, because whether or not the campaign fails, they come out with 1. Quality model designs and 2. Advertising for Hasbro Pulse. Hard to fault them for missing the mark on market research when this campaign was their market research.

The good news: some of the AoA models will likely be printed (eventually). Best case scenario, once this happens Hasbro could package a few of them together with some land and call it official Heroscape. The cards might not be playtested or ready, but hey, neither were the Einar Imperium. This is surely profitable for Hasbro; I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't go for this.

Last edited by TurtleKing99; November 18th, 2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old November 18th, 2022, 05:35 PM

The existence of Avalon Hill its self is stupid. Hasbro already has WotC for gaming specific brands. My FLGS has Hasbro and WotC products, but can not order Avalon Hill products because their distribution is a mess.

Its a fake brand like Mercury cars. All it is doing is limiting Hasbro's ability to make money.
Old November 18th, 2022, 06:41 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
The existence of Avalon Hill its self is stupid. Hasbro already has WotC for gaming specific brands. My FLGS has Hasbro and WotC products, but can not order Avalon Hill products because their distribution is a mess.

Its a fake brand like Mercury cars. All it is doing is limiting Hasbro's ability to make money.
Mercury closed in 2011. It was a real auto manufacturer but shouldn't be distributing anything anymore...Avalon Hill still produces games...Just sayin'

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; November 18th, 2022 at 06:42 PM. Reason: It's not like fake news...but I keep calling it Avon Hill...not sure why...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion