Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Old September 1st, 2022, 01:17 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

How do the Glider Strikers take off again, or can they? Their wings appear unpowered. Do they have to jump off a height? Or am I being too mechanically realistic? WWII glider borne infantry only made a one way trip. The Airborne Elite only drop once.

Are these the "jump infantry" alluded to in an earlier reveal? Do they hang from the dirigible?

In his Updates, Sir Heroscape is unhappy that all the squads we've seen so far are Unique. But weren't all the original ROV squads Unique? So this new line presentation is just following the outlines of the old one.

Brak88 asks who is keeping track of figures introduced. But from the sketches you can't always tell which figures are separate and which are only concept art views of the same one, so how could you do that?

Agent X127, We now have a Reintroduction thread in Heroscape Community for returning folks; you might want to say hi there to everyone:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=60950

Last edited by chas; September 1st, 2022 at 06:53 AM.
Old September 1st, 2022, 01:26 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
In case anybody had any doubt, point costs are being determined without any reference to distribution. I don't *think* Tai-Pan was worried about that, but we have many readers nowadays, including some who have not been here as long. I just wanted to be clear for everybody.
I'm not worried about point costs and price costs being intentionally set to sell more or "pay to win" by having the best units be the most expensive. I am worried about HeroScape being (too) expensive (for me). Looking at Pathfinder or DnD Minis, the prices are around 1,70 for small, 2,50 for medium, 5 for large and 7-15 for huge figures on the HeroScape scale. But there are figures even bigger than that (up to 100+ dollars for big dragons). I will never pay 100 dollars for a miniature. I will never pay 50 dollars for a miniature. I have only ever paid 15 for a miniature once , but depending on the miniature, I could imagine paying that much.

And I hope HeroScape stays within a certain price range. Even if the figure is "worth it", I would really like to be able to continue being a completionist.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old September 1st, 2022, 03:18 AM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
In his Updates, Sir Heroscape is unhappy that all the squads we've seen so far are Unique. But weren't all the original ROV squads Unique? So this new line presentation is just following the outlines of the old one
If this thing is $125+ then I'm hoping it won't have any common units.

Quote:
In case anybody had any doubt, point costs are being determined without any reference to distribution. I don't *think* Tai-Pan was worried about that, but we have many readers nowadays, including some who have not been here as long. I just wanted to be clear for everybody..
That's not a good thing. If expansions are expensive enough to prohibit buying 4+ of each unit, then I hope design reflects that and there is less need for multiple squads. If the Marro Drones came in a $50 set, it would take $150 to get the three squads you would need to take full advantage of their power, for example.
Old September 1st, 2022, 06:16 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Quote:
In case anybody had any doubt, point costs are being determined without any reference to distribution. I don't *think* Tai-Pan was worried about that, but we have many readers nowadays, including some who have not been here as long. I just wanted to be clear for everybody.
I'm not worried about point costs and price costs being intentionally set to sell more or "pay to win" by having the best units be the most expensive. I am worried about HeroScape being (too) expensive (for me). Looking at Pathfinder or DnD Minis, the prices are around 1,70 for small, 2,50 for medium, 5 for large and 7-15 for huge figures on the HeroScape scale. But there are figures even bigger than that (up to 100+ dollars for big dragons). I will never pay 100 dollars for a miniature. I will never pay 50 dollars for a miniature. I have only ever paid 15 for a miniature once , but depending on the miniature, I could imagine paying that much.

And I hope HeroScape stays within a certain price range. Even if the figure is "worth it", I would really like to be able to continue being a completionist.
This is a big worry of mine as well.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old September 1st, 2022, 07:01 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ok. You guys are asking about distribution and cost more than anything else, and the only thing I can say on that subject is wait and see. I can’t say.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 1st, 2022, 08:24 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Its normal for people to express their concerns about everything, even stuff our War Council obviously can't answer yet. Meanwhile:

1. If the new Factions and Other Figures become available not in Master Sets but in modular packs, as has been hinted, what would your buying priority be for New Stuff? So far mine is:

Lifeborne
Clockwork
Pirates
Ironbound
2.0 Versions of current SOM Heroes

Just my personal preferences, of course. Especially if the expense is off the wall to get it all right away. Of course, we don't know yet in what order these will become available.

I wonder what the buying priority would be for new people getting into Scape at this point. For example, I just met a guy getting back into Scape, who only has a small collection he's recently bought back. Will he go for old stuff first or new? He asked me what available Old Stuff he'd suggest he go for, and I couldn't begin to give him advice right away! I'd have to get a list of what he has so far also to consider.
Price seems to dictate going for the New Stuff. But this is someone who doesn't know Customs at all. Price wise, this would be the way to go, if he wants to buy proxy figures, but if not, that would run into money too--assuming the figures he'd want are even still available, which many would not be.

2. What other basic New Stuff components would an old Scape Completionist like me who has everything Classic and Custom want to see? New rules for sure, unless they came out for each faction separately with their purchase. Most importantly, new terrain types.

3. What new content will be posted online, by Avalon Hill, if any, so you don't have to buy it? I'm thinking the new rules would be good. Background Lore possibly. And of course a price list of all New Stuff becoming available in the first Wave/Round being issued.

Note: Sir Heroscape has guessed/estimated in his most recent daily update that we've now got about half of the information we'll eventually get before stuff becomes available or at least announced for sale. In the meantime, we can play these mental games about what we're actually going to do then!

Last edited by chas; September 1st, 2022 at 08:44 AM.
Old September 1st, 2022, 09:13 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Cost is one of the biggest factors in games like these and unpainted mini's are supposed to be how they can keep of the cost lower. It is very normal to be concerned with that.
It's also normal to be concerned with how it gets distributed since that's part of the cost as well.

But I'm with @chas , let's play! Buying Priorities for an old member...

1. New Factions if sold in modular sets. (Which doubles the cost of buying to start playing)

Clockwork
Pirates
2.0 Versions of currents
Lifeborn
Ironbound

2. Other basic new stuff.

Destructible objects.
Line Of Sight (LOS) blockers
New Rules (I hope these'll be mostly in the cards)

3 Content Posted On Line

As long as it's posted here...I'm good.

So far has everything been unique? It seems to me that's a smart start and then have boosters of common.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 1st, 2022 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Old and creaky. Senility around the corner - but is that corner in front or behind?
Old September 1st, 2022, 11:31 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Ok. You guys are asking about distribution and cost more than anything else, and the only thing I can say on that subject is wait and see. I can’t say.
Respectfully, we were all spoiled with the relatively cheap cost of Classic Heroscape back in the day, especially considering the amount of content we were provided for $20, $30, $40. At this point in the announcement schedule, concerns about price point are valid to have; however, those very concerns should be kept at an arm's length until we all have more information. Times have certainly changed, and the fans would do well to adjust their expectations accordingly. My personal philosophy is to expect costs to be on the higher end so that I'm 1) preparing an appropriate budget, and 2) not setting myself up for disappointment.

Again, I say all of this from a place of respect. You and the War Council can only say so much. It's up to us the fans to both temper our patience and trust that AH and the War Council will deliver a satisfying product. I look forward to where we are 30 days from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
1. If the new Factions and Other Figures become available not in Master Sets but in modular packs, as has been hinted, what would your buying priority be for New Stuff? So far mine is:

Lifeborne
Clockwork
Pirates
Ironbound
2.0 Versions of current SOM Heroes

Just my personal preferences, of course. Especially if the expense is off the wall to get it all right away. Of course, we don't know yet in what order these will become available.
Excellent topic for discussion! At the moment, I share the same priority list. Prior to this week's reveal of the Clockwork Combine, my list looked like:

Lifeborne
Pirates
Ironclad
AoA aged-up heroes

The Lifeborne Order had me from the GenCon reveal, with the two druid figures being showcased. The concept art announcements added to my intrigue, and I'm looking forward to fielding those units.

The faction least intriguing to me is the Ironclad. It's a cool concept, but at this point it's not my favorite. However, now that the Clockwork Combine is being announced along with the lore of the relationship between the Combine and the Ironclad, my opinion of the Ironclad is improving. I hope we see either a hard antithesis of synergy or a hard mesh of synergy between the two factions.

I'm excited about the pirates, especially the Marro pirate. Hopefully we'll receive lore about WHY it's a pirate. Did it break away from the Hive somehow? Was it banished from the Hive? Is it still part of the Hive and working to infiltrate the enemy for information? Does the Hive still exist in AoA?

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old September 1st, 2022, 11:51 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Hmm... I'm a sucker for tight synergy between unique figures, so I think that means the the Pirates are my top priority. So based on my current information I think it would be...

Pirates
Lifeborne
Clockwork
SotM retreads
Ironclad

However, the Ironclad collective should bring some really interesting stuff to the competitive meta if I know anything about @dok as a designer.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 1st, 2022, 12:38 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm most interested in Lifeborn first, then SOTM heroes second. The pirates look cool to me so I'll put them third. I'm indifferent about the ironclad at the moment, and the clockwork don't appeal to me
Old September 1st, 2022, 01:53 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Pirates
Clockwork
Lifeborne
SOTM grown up
Ironclad
Old September 1st, 2022, 01:55 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Pirates!
Clockwork
SOTM
Ironclad
Lifeborne

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion