Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old January 25th, 2012, 04:28 AM

vikinglad knows what's in an order marker vikinglad knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of The Deepwyrm Drow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikinglad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
Some things like this I just automatically house rule. I think the AE's grenades can technically go into completely enclosed bunkers (Or some figure like that, can't remember who exactly), but it's pretty unthematic, so I rule that one a no in house games.
Good for house rules, but how far do you take it? What of soulborgs, or the undead? I like to stick to the cards and KISS (Keep It Simple, Silly).
I think it's pretty simple. It hurts figures, but not DO's.

Poison could be caustic, causing flesh or metal to melt. Who knows? (But not caustic enough to take down a building, just enough to get through to the wiring in a robot...)
Nice! The theme and story is part of what makes Heroscape so great. I buy this, and the magic.
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:53 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

I used 4 destructible Evergreens and 1 Great Evergreen in The Lost City of Ashra!
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1942.

I seriously considered stipulating that Poison Weapons, Sting, whatever, would work on them, but I had already given the Gang plenty to think about.

Last edited by kolakoski; January 25th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Poison Weapons does not effect DOs due to the hero status, but due to SIZE. The Poison weapons denote what size heroes it effects, and since the door has no size, it cannot be affected.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Dominating your opponent, Drow style

The Deepwyrm drow is generally considered to be... not the greatest unit in Valhalla. While on dungeon-y maps 4 or 5 squads of these guys will strike terror into almost all but the most foolish foes (or loaded with special attacks) will cringe and likely be ready to give up before the fight even begin. But even when out in the open air that many Scape maps consist of, these guys can dish out good damage.

Stat wise, the guys are pretty average for a 70 point melee squad. They do have above average move however (6), and this amount of movement has its advantages, particularly in hilly areas or when trying to find some cover from enemy range. Because the sculpts themselves are on the slender side, this does assist in hiding behind ruins and what not. As far as their powers go (two d20 based ones), neither are extremely powerful but the two have a secret advantage... Very few unit types can fully counter both powers. The ones that can also vary in competitive level; Black Wyrmling, Deathwalker 7000, Deathwalker 8000, Deathwalker 9000, Wolves of Badru, Airborne Elite. There are other units who make great counters to the Drow, but otherwise thats only because they are really strong against squad units to begin with.

Now we know that on Shadows and dungeon tiles, Hide in Darkness is quite effective. But, the magic part is that it also works on other spaces too. So, if playing on a map that mixes dungeon spaces with other types of terrain, you should try sticking to the spaces Hide in Darkness will be more effective on, but if reaching your opponent's units require stepping onto other spaces, don't be too afraid.

When its your turn and there aren't many targets out for your drow to strike, focus mostly on advancing your drow in the back or grabbing glyphs (which Hide in Darkness helps you to hold), while engaging just a single enemy. The good part about 6 move here is that you get a little extra push to get height advantage on your target, which makes your attack 4. Not bad at all, and will probably inflict at least 1 wound to most types of enemies. That'll either kill them or give you a shot at rolling your lil' black die.

Now what do you do when the above is no longer true? Well, first don't seek out your opponent's heroes unless they are cheerleaders and you can mass-engage them. It does you little good to only engage Raelin with one drow unles she's got 1 life left. The down-side to to having a smaller sculpt is that you can't hope to block Raelin's head from her allies (a trick that sometimes work with bigger squads like the Quasatch), and her body guards will probably tear your drow up ASAP, as the drow puts a drop of fear into Raelin. So, instead look for the strongest enemy your opponent controls (hint: your opponent has been using it to attack you), and start clearing it out. In the case of heroes, try to engage with 2 or more drow unless there is a shadow space adjacent to it and use sheer numbers and poisonous weaponry to damage it. If there is a shadow space adjacent to it and that hero lacks a special attack, go ahead and engage it with a single drow. Not only are you locking that hero down, but your also taking that hero's primary ability (attack score) away. When handling enemy heroes with special attacks that hit multiple units, be reasonable and try to keep that hero from hitting multiple drow on their turn. If you need to double engage the hero to keep it from running away and hitting expensive/important units you control it's worth it, but otherwise try not to engage with mutliple dorw unless your going for a killing blow.

Now, most armies won't consist of nothing but Deepwyrm Drow (but hey, it could) so you should look at your options for your support.

Interesting options include:

Pelloth: Blowing up your own drow in the name of getting possible auto wounds... Normally this is pretty much unneeded (Deepwyrm drow should be more than capable of offing their foes as they have enough move to gain height). He does posses a ranged attack however, and has Thorian Speed: Shadow edition however.

Mika: With her dropping shadow spaces that your drow should be able to fortify and profit from, she proves to be a good support unit. Its a shame that she only drops two shadows though... The fact that you can use her to perform a "suicide strike" after both tiles are down is a nice bonus, and if you use her very early you should be able to smack an important cheerleader like Raelin before opponent squaddies swarm the board. Even cooler about this? If your opponent's squad units are too focused on Mika (her 5 life and 4 defense mean that your opponent's going to put some turns into killing her), that gives you a little time to start mobilizing your Drow. 110 point first round strategy that plays on your opponent's mind? Dangerous.

Raelin 2: Although most people prefer Raelin 1, I generally don't. Especially when my units are of higher speed, and getting even more defense against those annoying special attacks is more important than turtling. She also offers a bit of offensive output herself, if need be.

Hopefully you all enjoyed the article!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; May 11th, 2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: :drow:
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:07 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Deepwyrm Drow

Deepwyrm Drow
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
Old August 13th, 2017, 06:18 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Would you take the Drow over the Phantom Knights, if The terrain is favorable and they have
Elaria the Pale in support?

Old August 13th, 2017, 06:23 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

If the map isn't particularly hilly, and your using the Dungeon/Shadow map then I can see the Deepwyrm Drow being effective. Although the PK's have +1 Defense, Hide in Darkness somewhat mitigates that. The Drow also can lay the hurt on heroes.

But I'm a Drow Fan

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 13th, 2017, 07:47 PM

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
If the map isn't particularly hilly, and your using the Dungeon/Shadow map then I can see the Deepwyrm Drow being effective. Although the PK's have +1 Defense, Hide in Darkness somewhat mitigates that. The Drow also can lay the hurt on heroes.

But I'm a Drow Fan

Playing two 10-Round 4-player free for alls on map with "some Dungeon and/or Shadow for the Drow" with the Gang next Wednesday. Having trouble deciding which two of the following armies to play . . . and in what order.

Spoiler Alert!

Old December 7th, 2018, 11:58 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

For anyone who wants a better version of the Deepwyrm Drow & Pelloth, see Competitive Unit Congress versions of the cards (below). Personally these changes makes the units a B+ as opposed to D. The only other option is to wait for C3V/SoV to make a Drow commander similar to my VORGRYN or @dok 's MALLOK custom.

Deepwyrm Drow CUC
Add Drow Hero Bonding: Before taking a turn with Deepwyrm Drow, you may first take a turn with any Drow Hero you control.

Pelloth CUC
Change LOLTH'S WRATH SPECIAL ATTACK as follows: "...that is within 5 clear sight spaces of Pelloth and roll 3 4 attack dice. One at a time for each skull rolled, you may inflict 1 wound on any small or medium figure that is within 2 clear sight spaces of the chosen Drow figure..."
Old April 7th, 2021, 12:13 AM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

I've actually come to believe that the drow don't need any major buffs. Sure, 2 squads and pelloth is a big investment, but they can actually run the board if there is some dungeon/shadow, and even on other maps they are a worrying threat.

Lloth's wrath isn't something you should ever actually use. It is a good deterrent and threat, but it generally does not pay off well. It is like stinger drain - Only use it when you are desperate to break through some kind of beefy defense. Otherwise, the special is basically a noob trap lol.

Drow seem to be best used as hero-hunting squads. Try to keep them from getting too entangled, and keep pelloth reasonably close to ward powerful, high defense figures away. They can hold their own against squads, but you really shouldn't be aiming them at your opponent's screen.

They can tear apart low-defense heroes, and Lloth's wrath should keep expensive high-defense heroes and kyrie squads away. The only thing I see being a horribly bad matchup for them are swarm armies and deathreavers. But then again, plenty of figures have those weaknesses

The only thing I honestly wish was different about them is their sculpts. Drow guys are a little... flimsy. Their swords are even more delicate than the ashigaru bendy spears

Last edited by DoomCarrot; April 7th, 2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old May 20th, 2021, 09:26 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Never been a huge fan of this squad but, like my favorite squad (the Drudge - and yeah I know), on a map that favors a specific type of ground you can rule the map with them. That's why the original card still works fine.

@DoomCarrot has it right, this squad does work, despite their flimsynesss (if that's not real a word, it should be!) they are a decent squad to deal with all those pesky heroes of 'scape.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; May 23rd, 2021 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Drudge, best aesthetically looking squad with the poorest result ever for me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units