Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 3rd, 2019, 03:16 PM

tolchock is surprisingly tart
"Hotspot" (Domination) game mode?

So I just dug out my Heroscape stuff from the closet.
My sister kids are getting in the age when its time to introduce them to Heroscape.

I was thinking of a game mode where that is suitable for 3-5 players.

The map will have have a certain ammount of hot spot, either a few hexes big, 7 or something, or maybe just one hex. If its 1 hex you get control of it from standing on it. If its more then one hex, the player with most occupide spaces in the hot spot have control over it.

When you have control over a hot spot you gain VP each round.

You gain VP for killing other players figures.
Dead figures respawn either next turn or after 1 turn(?)

Either you play to a certain VP count, or a certain ammount of turns, and the player with most VP wins when you reach that turn.

One balance question: How much VP does a kill give? Should it be the same as a figures army value? How does this effect squads?

How much should the hotspot give in VP each turn? 10, 20, 40, 50, 100, 150, 200?

Finally, does you guys have any good map suggestions for this kind of brawl? I guess different maps for different player counts?
I belive I have 3 base sets of RotV and 2 Forgotten woods sets.
Also army size 500p?

Last edited by tolchock; January 3rd, 2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2019, 05:44 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: "Hotspot" (Domination) game mode?

Nice. The Heroes of Star Wars Scape made a sweet ruleset based on Battlefront similar, but different - check it out. There are also tons of other ideas on capture the flag for Heroscapers - do a search for titles only there to see them. Here is rules one Gencon events use (very simple):
Quote:
Each player will have a Glyph of Brandar to defend. Players can win by ending a turn with one of their figures unengaged and on the opponent's Glyph. Tournament is played in one hour rounds.
At a Louisville tournament a couple years ago, we played:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Here's one idea:

Heroscape: Lords of V.E.G.A.S
(Valhalla's Esteemed Graffiti Artist Society)

Each game starts with 4 face-up glyphs. Glyphs do not have powers.

One player will be Team Power, the other will be Team Treasure. At the end of each round, each figure on a glyph 'tags' that glyph. Team Power replaces theirs with a face-down power glyph, Team Treasure replaces theirs with a face-down treasure glyph. Then each player scores points equal to the number of their 'tags'.

When one player's army is comlpetely destroyed, the surviving player scores 4 tag points. At the end of the game (including when time is called), whoever has the most tag points wins.
That was pretty fun, and Arashara Goshiri actually got use in the "Hotspot" format.
Old January 20th, 2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Heroscape: Lords of V.E.G.A.S
(Valhalla's Esteemed Graffiti Artist Society)

Each game starts with 4 face-up glyphs. Glyphs do not have powers.

One player will be Team Power, the other will be Team Treasure. At the end of each round, each figure on a glyph 'tags' that glyph. Team Power replaces theirs with a face-down power glyph, Team Treasure replaces theirs with a face-down treasure glyph. Then each player scores points equal to the number of their 'tags'.

When one player's army is comlpetely destroyed, the surviving player scores 4 tag points. At the end of the game (including when time is called), whoever has the most tag points wins.[/SIZE][/FONT]
This looks very nice.

Here is some thoughts that would be nice to have feedback on.

Im planning on having a 90 min time limit or so. Depending on how many players.

A few glyphs placed on "strategic" places. I will try a rule that you cant enter glyph hex, but you can tag it for a movement point.

What I have a hard time to figure out is a good formula for point for killing units.
Becouse I think I want to try respawn. But that might be to hard to balance.

Maybe the glyphs would be worth 10p and all units will be worth their own points, so its still most about the killing, but controlling map objectives can be powerfull.

Army card with multiple figures devide the points on the army card per figure. 50p and 5 figures, gives 10 points per figure.

Respawn timer, army card points: 0-50=next turn, 50-100=2 turns, 100-150=3 turns, 150-200=4turns, 200+=5turns.
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:12 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

I suggest:

1 VP for most Hotspots controlled.

1 VP for most figures killed.

1 VP for most figures remaining (of your army on the map at end of game).
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

I suggest:

1 VP for most Hotspots controlled.

1 VP for most figures killed.

1 VP for most figures remaining (of your army on the map at end of game).
Do you reccomend this with respawn, or without respawn?
Also 1vp per figure? Getting 1vp for killing a poor Marro soldier vs the 9 dice defence robot? Seems little unbalanced?
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:37 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Without respawning.

“All figures are created equal.” Changes the “meta” but is as fair as life.
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:47 PM

Well met!

DW9000 still valuable relative to a Marro Warrior, just not as valuable. Favors squaddies a bit. Could make it

1 VP for most Unique Heroes killed.

1 VP for most Unique Heroes remaining.

Favors heroes and encourages use of the cheaper ones. There is a point of diminishing returns and a balance between numbers and combat effectiveness is the challenge.
Old January 21st, 2019, 01:50 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Interesting.

At our Maryland tournaments, we use a multiplayer format that's built around a similar idea, though it's more straightforward. It's just this: You get points for all the damage you do to other players' figures. If you put one wound on Kaemon Awa, you get 30 points, because Kaemon Awa is 120 points and has 4 life. 120/4=30 points per wound. Similarly, if you kill one Krav Maga agent, you get 33 points, because 100/3=33 (we always round down).

That encourages the players to rush out of their start zones and get into the mix right away, and it can work with any number of players. Teaming up on players makes no sense, because you get your points from beating on your opponents, regardless of which one it is.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you tell us about it in the "Battle Reports" subforum.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 21st, 2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Interesting.

At our Maryland tournaments, we use a multiplayer format that's built around a similar idea, though it's more straightforward. It's just this: You get points for all the damage you do to other players' figures. If you put one wound on Kaemon Awa, you get 30 points, because Kaemon Awa is 120 points and has 4 life. 120/4=30 points per wound. Similarly, if you kill one Krav Maga agent, you get 33 points, because 100/3=33 (we always round down).

That encourages the players to rush out of their start zones and get into the mix right away, and it can work with any number of players. Teaming up on players makes no sense, because you get your points from beating on your opponents, regardless of which one it is.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you tell us about it in the "Battle Reports" subforum.
That is intresting, maybe that would work with this "hot spot game mode"
I will add bonus points for doing the killing blow of a unit, 10% of what the wound gives you, feels about right.

I think I will try this when I can get my friends to play, and also try to give a decent report on how it goes and what need to be changed.

Last edited by tolchock; January 21st, 2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old January 21st, 2019, 05:42 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Excellent. I love to see a veteran Scaper hauling his plastic goodness out of the mothballs.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 21st, 2019, 06:47 PM

I have written a 1 page quick rule summary for this game mode.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...01532404556189
Click on the green link "Area.control.game.mode.for.Heroscape.pdf " to download the pdf.

Here are the rules if the link doesent work.

Rules:
 Agree on a time limit, 60,90,120 minutes.

 When time is up, complete that game turn, and play one more turn, then the game is over.

 Place control tokens (Glyphs or a substitute) on strategic positions on the map. 1 less or 1
more then there are players, or what works best for the combination of the numbers players
and map layout.

 You take control over a Strategic hex by moving on to the hex. However, you can't end your
turn on the hex.

 All strategic hexes are worth 10 points at the end of the round. If some areas are in a more contested area, you can house rule to have it be worth more points, ex 20 points, 40 points or even more.

 You get points for wounding enemy figures, and make a killing blow. The formula for how many points a wound would give is: Figures Army points/life, (ex Kaemon Awa have 120 Army points, and 4 life, 120/4=30 points for each wound), another example: (Krav Maga Agents 100 Army points, 3 figures with 1 Life gives, 100/3=33 Points, round down).

 The killing blow bonus is another 10% of what the points from wounding is, (from same example as above, Kaemon Awa would give 3 points, a Krav Maga Agent would give 3 points(always round down). These points are in addition to the wound point that eliminates the figure.

 If you want to play with respawns, this is how it works: Respawn times depends on Army point values, it is the following: 0-50Army Points, Respawn already next turn. 50- 150Respawns in 2 turns (if they die on turn 5, they come in to play on turn 7). 150-300 Respawns in 3 turns, ( if they fie on turn 4 they come back on turn 7).

 After all players have rolled for initiative, in that player order, place your respawn ready units in your starting area.

Working thoughts.
Im thinking maybe the killing blow bonus should be worth as a regular wound. Will try what feels best.

Last edited by tolchock; January 22nd, 2019 at 08:36 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios