Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 31st, 2011, 03:28 PM

fireemblemrox knows what's in an order marker fireemblemrox knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Tarn Viking Warriors

Yes I meant to add or more in there. My brother managed the charge 3 times in a row on me!
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:18 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eak View Post
If a tarn viking warrior moves onto a road space in it's turn, and then gets berserker charge, does the viking get the +3 bonus?
Yes.
Thought others might have this question, not that it needs to be in the FAQ or anything
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:37 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Tarn Viking Warriors
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:23 PM

RogueScaper is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa RogueScaper is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I love these guys. Reason why I started playing the game in the first place.
Old June 4th, 2016, 12:11 PM

Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker Oman1666 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I'd say the average move is closer to 5.5 actually. Since they will likely hit the roll 3 out of 10 times during a ten turn interval. However once they make the roll they will get another chance to roll again. Its very likely within one of those 3 rolls they will hit again. I'd say the bonus spaces is actually somewhere around 14-16

I'm not sure of the math on it and I'm probably just being to technical and it would be interesting to see what the actual average movement is.
I'm sure I'm not the first person to reply to this, but I've just run the figures for this question after reading this post. The 'average' move of the Tarn Viking Warrior's is quite an interesting idea.
The answer I got for average move was somewhere around 5.67 spaces. getting an actual full answer is nearly impossible as the problem turns into an infinite sum.

Here's how I got my answer for anyone who's interested, feel free to correct my figures

The chance of moving the Tarn Viking warriors exactly once is 14/20 as there are 14 numbers of the die that are not 15 or higher, this happens 70% of the time.
to move exactly twice you have to roll a 15+ then a 14 or less (otherwise you'd be moving three times) so this equals 6/20 * 14/20 which is 21%
To move exactly three times the sum looks like this 6/20 * 6/20 * 14/20 = 6.3%
as 6/20 * 6/20 can be written as 6/20^2 we now have the rest of our terms. so move exactly four times you have 6/20^3 * 14/20. Moving exactly five times you have 6/20^4 * 14/20, this gives us a series of lower and lower percentages as follows:

Move exactly once: 14/20 = 70%
Move exactly twice = 6/20 * 14/20 = 21%
Move exactly three times = 6/20 * 6/20 * 14/20 = 6.3%
Move exactly four times = (6/20)^3 * 14/20 = 1.89%
Move exactly five times = (6/20)^4 * 14/20 = 0.567%
Move exactly six times = (6/20)^5 * 14/20 = 0.1701%
Move exactly seven times = 0.05103%
Move exactly eight times = 0.0153%
Move exactly nine times = 0.0045927%
Move Exactly ten times = 0.00137781%

I could go on... but the numbers quickly become too small to have any effect on the final figure.

Now we know the probability of moving the Tarn Viking Warriors X number of times, we can answer the question of 'average move' by multiplying the amount of spaces they'll move by the chance of them moving that many spaces. This looks something like this:
(4*0.7)+(8*0.21)+(12*0.063)+(16*0.0189) +(20*0.00657)
I only used these first 4 terms to get to the figure of 5.6698 - as there are infinitely many terms, but each gets smaller and smaller, I think it's reasonable to round to 5.67 spaces moved in an average berserker charge.

Sorry for the numbers.

The only Heroscaper in England.*
Prove me wrong.

*(Except for Lazy Orang)
Old June 4th, 2016, 05:25 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Earlier in the thread I got a slightly higher number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
...I reckon the Tarns have an average move of a little over 5.7. Here's why:

They move 4 with probability 7/10. They move 8 with probability (7/10)(3/10). They move 12 with probability (7/10)(3/10)^2. And so on. Their expected move is the sum of the products of each move with its probability, which by my algebra simplifies to:

28/3 times the sum as i goes from 1 to infinity of i(3/10)^i.

A pleasant few minutes with the algebra of infinte series reduces this to 40/7.

Disclaimer: there are several places where the theory and or algebra might be wrong. Does anyone else get the same number?

Disclaimer 2: this calculation includes arbitrarily large moves. In practice it is likely that a player will use the beserker charge to engage the enemy rather than doing laps of the board.
My guess for the difference is that the terms you truncated let the total creep up a bit more. Another guess is that I messed it up somewhere.
Old January 13th, 2019, 04:25 PM

Radidactyl Woo who?

Maybe it's just me but I really can't seem to make these guys work.

I've been told they go well with EldFinGrim the Viking Chimaera since they're unique and can take the spirit but I've ran a few test battles and I just don't get how these guys are any better than the Viking Champions + Knights of Weston.

If they had champion bonding and it was frenzy instead it would make them worth it but it really feels like a waste of 50 points when I'd rather plan ahead and and spend 20 more on Knights of Weston.
Old January 13th, 2019, 04:42 PM

TradeMark has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radidactyl View Post

I've been told they go well with EldFinGrim the Viking Chimaera since they're unique and can take the spirit but I've ran a few test battles and I just don't get how these guys are any better than the Viking Champions + Knights of Weston.

If they had champion bonding and it was frenzy instead it would make them worth it but it really feels like a waste of 50 points when I'd rather plan ahead and and spend 20 more on Knights of Weston.
I think it's a matter of a 4 man, 4 defense squad with potential high move for 50. Great at potential glyph grabbing or tying up units in general, but I'd be reluctant to add spirits due to better options overall for the boost.

They aren't generally going to win a game on their own, but I did have a first turn where my opponent's tarn knocked out Brunak and Ornak on my side after rolling high on frenzy, grabbing an attack glyph, and kamikazing across the board.
Old January 13th, 2019, 05:49 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TradeMark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radidactyl View Post

I think it's a matter of a 4 man, 4 defense squad with potential high move for 50. Great at potential glyph grabbing or tying up units in general, but I'd be reluctant to add spirits due to better options overall for the boost.

They aren't generally going to win a game on their own, but I did have a first turn where my opponent's tarn knocked out Brunak and Ornak on my side after rolling high on frenzy, grabbing an attack glyph, and kamikazing across the board.
Waste of 50 points? Well, maybe if they prevent you from drafting something you wanted. They are my go-to 50-point filler for any "good" themed army. Either save them for cleanup, if you're planning on dumping viking spirits on them, or charge out on the first turn and hope they do charge.

I like to use RotV exclusive games to teach people how to play, and recently had the Tarns charge all the way across the map (4 Berserker Charges in a row) and take out Ne-Gok-Sa on the second turn of the game.

So, are they worth building an army around? Usually not. Are they Jandar's equivalent of plugging Me-Burq-Sa in with your last 50 points? I would say so.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units