Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old June 5th, 2017, 11:24 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Okay so I've reworked the Beakface Archer because I was also working a melee common hero too and realized I could make things a lot simpler. Here are two synergistic units for the Beakface army that I think are both a solid addition. Thoughts?

Like the Sneaks, he is a melee figure with the ability to skirt out of the way of ranged shots but also hit fairly hard once he's engaged. I think because the sneaks are a melee squad and he is a melee HERO it makes sense his base stats would be a little stronger and his flocking ability "Improved".

Simple yet thematic. The Archers simply operate like the wyrmlings.

I was super excited about the Archer design with the "Improved Flocking" I am much less excited here. I'm not a fan of the Beak face warrior in any way. I don't care for Attack of 4 on any Beakface, since low attack seems fitting for their general theme (like high defense on Soulborgs or warforged) I think the hero and squad bonding closes a lot of design doors. Also the figure is fairly similar to one of the sneaks, making him look more like proxy than an out and out unique figure.

I think there are good reasons to add a bit of low powered range support to the Beakface build, but I think you should have to sacrifice order markers if you want to add in some heavy hitters.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old June 5th, 2017, 11:48 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Beakface Warrior
Having thoroughly tested the Beakface Sneaks I do not think they need help, especially not (essentially) adding a third figure to the squad (with a stronger attack, no less). If the Raptorians need help, it's fighting melee squads. If you want to do something helpful with the Beakface Warrior, that would be a good direction to consider.

Beakface Archer
I agree with wriggz that this version is quite a bit less exciting. It also feels less Raptorian and more generic. But it does look to be simple and somewhat effective, with the usual synergy with the Sneaks.

Jack The Pale
I have less qualms about the 3 Range than Ixe; if the Moltarn can throw lava, this guy can throw knives. It does cause some oddities, however: he can attack something 50 levels higher as long as he can see it. Aside from that, I like the overall design. Some useful abilities and decision points.
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:40 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

All right! I have taken the constructive criticism I have received here, and tweaked Bol.

Most people raised an eyebrow at him being Einar-aligned. While it didn't break the figure for many, it was still a valid concern, so he is now part of the misfits-and-second-chances-faction Aquilla.

Ankle Shank is a bit more relevant than it was before.

Lastly, he gained Scale.

Four abilities on a card isn't unprecedented, and as two of the four are simply maneuverability abilities, I feel this is okay (and it's certainly less cluttered than some cards that only have 3 or even 2 abilities).

He would still lose to Isamu in a vacuum, but there would be times when people would want to play Bol over the red ninja (Hero-heavy builds, for example).

Before I playtest this iteration, are there any other comments, advice, or tweaks from you veterans?

Old June 5th, 2017, 02:49 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dewk View Post
All right! I have taken the constructive criticism I have received here, and tweaked Bol.

Most people raised an eyebrow at him being Einar-aligned. While it didn't break the figure for many, it was still a valid concern, so he is now part of the misfits-and-second-chances-faction Aquilla.

Ankle Shank is a bit more relevant than it was before.

Lastly, he gained Scale.

Four abilities on a card isn't unprecedented, and as two of the four are simply maneuverability abilities, I feel this is okay (and it's certainly less cluttered than some cards that only have 3 or even 2 abilities).

He would still lose to Isamu in a vacuum, but there would be times when people would want to play Bol over the red ninja (Hero-heavy builds, for example).

Before I playtest this iteration, are there any other comments, advice, or tweaks from you veterans?

Looking forward to seeing playtesting results(Posted on your customs thread). I think the Sneak power is pretty cool.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:55 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I wasn't in love with Bol following Einar and Aquilla isn't any better (worse, if anything). What misfits and second chances follow Aquilla? I know you're trying to add to a perceived cycle of 10 point fillers but Bol would most naturally follow Utgar.

That being said I do like the design.
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Honestly, making him Utgar would kill the theme, for me.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old June 5th, 2017, 02:58 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I still think Disengage may actually make him worth more than 10 points. An attack of 4 from a figure that is easily hidden/dismissed with a move of 6 (thus able to gain high ground) than cannot be tied down is pretty good.

The design with Aquilla still rubs me the wrong way, as I feel her army is already fairly Hodge podge compared to other generals and I cannot think of any game play reason not to put him with Utgar (where he would further flesh out the goblins and fit in better with URK's movement power).

Other than Disengage and Aquilla, it is a very innovative design and looks like lots of fun.

Remember the Judges are not applying personal preference they are acting as Vangaurds for "Classic" Heroscape. A design must follow the Theme and Flavor of Classic scape as if it was designed by the original designers. If I was giving feedback for a personal custom, the general would be irrelevant (maybe even applauded), but when you are striving for Cannon, you really want to align with it as much as possible.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old June 5th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I still think Disengage may actually make him worth more than 10 points. An attack of 4 from a figure that is easily hidden/dismissed with a move of 6 (thus able to gain high ground) than cannot be tied down is pretty good.
While Disengage is a good ability in general, I don't really see it as potent or even useful on this unit. The little guy really isn't worth putting order markers on until endgame last resort. At that point, picking your targets isn't nearly as important; you just want to kill everything you can. In points-scoring tournaments it might help finish off squads for points, but that's about it.

I'm not really against having four powers, but I don't see Disengage as particularly helpful. Ankle Shank, while neat, could be dropped and his Attack increased by one without much difference to gameplay. I'm not against either power per se, but I don't see either as gameplay or thematically necessary to make it a four-power card.

I prefer Aquilla to Einar, though I agree with those that question why you're making him "good" when everything else about the card suggests "evil." The unit is so Utargian otherwise that putting him under any other general comes off as more odd than clever.
Old June 5th, 2017, 03:40 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like you going for the 10pt filler niche. I dont quite understand the theme behind the sneak thief ability. Hes saving your lost turn order markers not stealing anything. Also aquilla seems a little off. Otherwise ill keep watching a discussion on him.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 5th, 2017, 03:54 PM

The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby! The Dewk rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
I wasn't in love with Bol following Einar and Aquilla isn't any better (worse, if anything). What misfits and second chances follow Aquilla? I know you're trying to add to a perceived cycle of 10 point fillers but Bol would most naturally follow Utgar.

That being said I do like the design.
I'm glad there are no qualms with his mechanics, thank you!

As for his alignment, the only Dragonborn, Quasatch, Wyvern, and a number of other species are in Aquilla (misfits). Master Woo, leader of the Ullar-aligned monks, is in Aquilla (misfit). Van Nessing and Darrak are Aquilla (second chances for shadier characters).

Heh, I'm really not trying to add a cycle, I promise. The reason I'm really trying to avoid Utgar (or Valkrill) for him is (1) I like the idea of a species that is considered inherently wicked to have a bit of redemption, and (2) Utgar has plenty of units (both official and custom) as-is.

Quote:

The design with Aquilla still rubs me the wrong way, as I feel her army is already fairly Hodge podge compared to other generals and I cannot think of any game play reason not to put him with Utgar (where he would further flesh out the goblins and fit in better with URK's movement power).

Other than Disengage and Aquilla, it is a very innovative design and looks like lots of fun.

Remember the Judges are not applying personal preference they are acting as Vangaurds for "Classic" Heroscape. A design must follow the Theme and Flavor of Classic scape as if it was designed by the original designers. If I was giving feedback for a personal custom, the general would be irrelevant (maybe even applauded), but when you are striving for Cannon, you really want to align with it as much as possible.
The attack of 4 is very situational, but I can see your point. Do you feel he is stronger than Isamu in his current iteration? I'm not going for Isamu's power level, of course, but something that can be an alternate option on occasion. I actually tested a similar version of Bol (but no Scale) in the past, and Isamu still had the edge the majority of the time. Dishonorable Strike came into play much more than Ankle Shank did. Oh, and Urk only synergizes with common goblins, so changing Bol to Utgar wouldn't add any synergies.

I respect keeping the flavor and theme of the factions 100% (an Ullar soulborg? Get outta here!). But with that said, I have noticed there are exceptions when it isn't a far-fetched concept/stretching such as insects in Einar, rogues in Einar, a ninja leader in Vydar, etc. (and this isn't counting deviations in C3V units either). I was hoping Bol could be seen in that light. Perhaps not though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
While Disengage is a good ability in general, I don't really see it as potent or even useful on this unit. The little guy really isn't worth putting order markers on until endgame last resort. At that point, picking your targets isn't nearly as important; you just want to kill everything you can. In points-scoring tournaments it might help finish off squads for points, but that's about it.

I'm not really against having four powers, but I don't see Disengage as particularly helpful. Ankle Shank, while neat, could be dropped and his Attack increased by one without much difference to gameplay. I'm not against either power per se, but I don't see either as gameplay or thematically necessary to make it a four-power card.
Haha interesting. One values disengage to be worth a fair amount, while another thinks it's not worth much.

I added Disengage because he needed a bit of maneuverability, and it fits with being a sneaky goblin with a sense of self-preservation.

If I dropped Ankle Shank and upped his power to 3, then he'd have the best base stats of the 10 point fillers, and I don't think I want to go down that path.

Last edited by The Dewk; June 5th, 2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old June 5th, 2017, 04:01 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

For what it's worth, I think Aquilla works very well. An individual goblin can decide for himself to go his own way, can't he? Why do we accept that from humans and Kyrie but not goblins? Einar may have been a bit much, but Aquilla works really well in my opinion.
Old June 5th, 2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
For what it's worth, I think Aquilla works very well. An individual goblin can decide for himself to go his own way, can't he? Why do we accept that from humans and Kyrie but not goblins? Einar may have been a bit much, but Aquilla works really well in my opinion.
This guy gets it Haha thanks Pumpkin_King!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards