Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old February 27th, 2017, 05:41 PM

Isak is surprisingly tart
Re: Custom pillars

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
When I got married, I made it a point to get a 3 teared cake just so I could get the Pillars that came with the cake. It was the only wedding decision I was adamant on (other than the Ice Cream Sunday bar and the choice of beer to be served). My wife had no idea until I specifically told the venue staff that they needed to save the Pillars for me.

I'm sure it was not the weirdest request they have had, but they gave me the impression it was odd. The cake was fairly expensive, making those pillars the most costly Heroscape terrain I own.
This may be the best Heroscape story I have ever heard!
That IS the best heroscape story ever, my wife and I asked them to save all the glass bottles for target practice, haha, but I can't believe I missed the heroscape oppertunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado
Not entirely sure it is legal to sell those.
I believe the interlocking hexes are copyrighted by Hasbro.
Do so at your own risk.

Very cool though. It would be awesome if you uploaded that to shapeways.
We looked up the patents on the boxes and from what we could tell only the art was patented, and it said patent doesn't extend to design. (Or something like that, going off memory.) I'm not a lawyer, but to me it looked fine, however of you or anyone sees something we missed please let me know.

Last edited by Isak; February 27th, 2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old February 27th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Looks like you looked into it.

For some reason I remember the interlocking tiles having a copyright.
I believe that is why the Kickstarter that had new Heroscape-compatible terrain did not use it. Could be wrong though. Also not a lawyer.
If that is the case it really opens some opportunities for customs.

Regardless those pillars are super sweet.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 2nd, 2017, 07:53 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Received my columns today. They are really cool! They lock in well with the Heroscape tiles. Can be a little snug because of the paint but really nice work.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Received my columns today. They are really cool! They lock in well with the Heroscape tiles. Can be a little snug because of the paint but really nice work.
Thanks for the kind words and the feedback! We will look into making them slightly more loose in the future, if the tightness causes damage after use don't hesitate to let me know.
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:02 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post

I believe that is why the Kickstarter that had new Heroscape-compatible terrain did not use it. Could be wrong though. Also not a lawyer.

Unfortunately, there is a patent on the tile design, by Craig Van Ness and assigned to Hasbro, not just a copyright, which places imitations in a much greyer area, and opens up more severe penalties. Abstract:
Quote:
The present invention is directed to a three-dimensional game board that can be built by a player. The three-dimensional game board may include a plurality of building components having at least one integrally formed hexagonal element, wherein adjacent hexagonal elements share a common side. The hexagonal elements may include a raised hexagonal surface having an edge extending upwardly from a top surface of each hexagonal element. The edges of the hexagonal surfaces of adjacent hexagonal elements may define a channel therebetween. A sidewall may extend downwardly from a peripheral edge and may be defined by the integrally formed hexagonal elements. The sidewall may be configured to be received into the channels formed by the hexagonal surfaces of a building component disposed below. Portions of the sidewall may engage corresponding hexagonal surfaces of the building component disposed below to maintain the building components in substantial vertical alignment.

The patent images (sample) are clearly Heroscape tiles, and other images clearly show the interlocking tab-and-cutout structure of the edges, how the tiles fit together, and how they stack.
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:04 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Thanks srmalloy.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:32 PM

Aethiar is surprisingly tart

Hey guys, I'm the other half of this pillars project. Thanks so much for the feedback! It's great to know other people are as excited about the design as I am.
I thought I'd weigh in on the patent issue. The key is that the patent is an ornamental design patent, not a utility patent. As such, it does not protect the utility of the pieces, but only the looks and patterns. As long as we aren't reproducing actual HS pieces, we should be fine.
Old March 7th, 2017, 09:36 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

They look great, Aethiar.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 7th, 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
They look great, Aethiar.
Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post

Unfortunately, there is a patent on the tile design, by Craig Van Ness and assigned to Hasbro, not just a copyright, which places imitations in a much greyer area, and opens up more severe penalties. Abstract:
Quote:
The present invention is directed to a three-dimensional game board that can be built by a player. The three-dimensional game board may include a plurality of building components having at least one integrally formed hexagonal element, wherein adjacent hexagonal elements share a common side. The hexagonal elements may include a raised hexagonal surface having an edge extending upwardly from a top surface of each hexagonal element. The edges of the hexagonal surfaces of adjacent hexagonal elements may define a channel therebetween. A sidewall may extend downwardly from a peripheral edge and may be defined by the integrally formed hexagonal elements. The sidewall may be configured to be received into the channels formed by the hexagonal surfaces of a building component disposed below. Portions of the sidewall may engage corresponding hexagonal surfaces of the building component disposed below to maintain the building components in substantial vertical alignment.

The patent images (sample) are clearly Heroscape tiles, and other images clearly show the interlocking tab-and-cutout structure of the edges, how the tiles fit together, and how they stack.
Thanks for this, at first we thought it was the patent we already looked at, but just realized that it is not. We are going to have a lawyer look at it and let us know what we need to change if anything. Thanks again for showing us this before we had a lawsuit on our hands.
Old March 8th, 2017, 07:14 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
We are going to have a lawyer look at it and let us know what we need to change if anything.
You and your friend are unusually sensible for people doing this kind of work.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 9th, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isak View Post
We are going to have a lawyer look at it and let us know what we need to change if anything.
You and your friend are unusually sensible for people doing this kind of work.
Haha, thanks. Probably overkill, but we want to do it right.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles