Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is the BEST map? (Choose 3)
The Crypt by Flash_19 12 31.58%
The Swamps of Oighir Scath by heroscaper2010 14 36.84%
Uncharted Jungle by antmarchingroves 12 31.58%
Iconoclast by All Your Pie 3 7.89%
Battlefield 23 by Flash_19 12 31.58%
Ruined City by Leaf_it 14 36.84%
Pure Gold by superfrog 7 18.42%
Jungle Fever by Rednax 15 39.47%
Rocky Mound by Leaf_it 10 26.32%
Coastal Cave by antmarchingroves 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 17th, 2018, 12:56 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: VOTE NOW!!! - Top 10

Good luck everyone!

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 17th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Just 2 days left to vote!! Lets get those final votes in!! This is a close one!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 17th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Many thanks to our friends @Leaf_It @superfrog @All Your Pie @rednax @majofa @heroscaper2010 @Flash_19 and @antmarchingroves for sharing their creations with us. They all look like the product of careful work and they are all welcome additions to the library of maps on the site. Thank you, friends!

My thoughts:

1. Jungle Fever ~ I like this one. I like that it's nearly perfectly symmetrical but still feels wild; I like that it's compact. Pathing goes all over and the lava field is used well.

2. Ruined City ~ I like the look. I like the use of 2x Marvel, which you don't see very often. It looks pretty tight for 2 spacers, and I don't trust those warehouse ruins. But I like the different look here very much.

3. Battlefield 23 ~ One of my favorites. I wonder about the name. Is it self referential, like The National's song Conversation 16? As in, "here's my take on something common, with my own slight variation on it." Well, I like the road across the whole thing and I like the columns as LoS blockers throughout. The whole thing looks sharp and would play well - though not as well - without glyphs.

4. The Crypt ~ Evokes the theme well. As a matter of personal preference, maps with columns packed tight like this are hard to enjoy. Very fussy with placing big units and the columns are often tippy. The start zones are tacked-on 24 hexers, which does not add to the visual appeal.

5. The Swamps of Oigir Scath ~ I like the mixture of terrain and the aesthetic developed with the blending of swamp and ice. The pathing is not as interesting as it looks at first, though, with the far left and right edges being low ground behind LoS blockers.

6. Coastal Cave ~ Another map that appears to offer something different. This one is both evocative, like The Crypt, and offers interesting choices to the players. A little bit of high ground here and there, and you could remove each glyph and drop a hex on that space and it would work well that way, too. I like this one as something that is different, thematic, (apparently) sound, and new.

7. Rocky Mounds ~ A very good map. Looks good, pathing all over the place, and road to ease travel. It's not groundbreaking, but it looks exactly like something I'd choose for a tournament, and it's likely I will do just that.

8. Iconoclast ~ It was GameBear - the famous silent cartographer - who PMed me once about the importance of avoiding dead space on a map. Don't place a hex that nobody would ever want to occupy. As I noted above before about the Swamps, here you have low ground on the edges. What are those hexes for? They make a map that is already small, with tight pathing, even smaller. I like the idea, but I feel like there's more that could be done to express it with the terrain available in these sets.

9. Pure Gold ~ I *love* what makes this map different. Split start zones, a bridge across the top, and the color-coded start zones. The bridge spaces are *so* dominant, though, I fear that what makes this map special would also make it a risky pick for a tournament setting.

10. Uncharted Jungle ~ Another good map in this pool. It feels wild, though the road allows quick access to all parts of the map. I think it probably needs the glyphs to work, but that's ok. If we used glyphs at my tournaments this would be at the top of my list for next time. My first thought, looking that this map, though? "How can it be uncharted, with two roads meeting here? And the columns?" Others have already said it, I know, but I had that thought before I saw their posts.

Now I just have to decide which one(s) to vote for.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 18th, 2018, 01:27 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
My thoughts:
9. Pure Gold ~ I *love* what makes this map different. Split start zones, a bridge across the top, and the color-coded start zones. The bridge spaces are *so* dominant, though, I fear that what makes this map special would also make it a risky pick for a tournament setting.
You're absolutely right. When I saw this contest, my first though was "bridge with a treasure under it" and so I made this map. Unfortunately, that makes map balance tricky, as you said. The rest of the map is made to counteract that high point in a few ways :

1. The bridge is on the side. Putting it in the middle would have provided too much area of cover for ranges units. As it is, you can avoid most ranged figures that are on the bridge if you want.

2. The bridge is on a road. This is an obvious one. Melee figures can reach the top pretty quickly.

3. Wannok is fixed on the opposite side. You can always stop campers with Wannok.

4. The middle start spaces give melee armies a chance to grab the bridge first.

5. The bridge is accessible from the side. You can both attack up and climb up as long as your figures are height 4 and move 4.

6. LoS blockers interrupt many of the sight lines.

I haven't played it enough to know if I was 100% succcessful at mitigating the obvious advantages of the height, but I certainly tried my best!
Old August 18th, 2018, 05:07 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Looking like a close one everyone. I'm going to throw in a set of golden order markers that match the dice bowl. Just for kicks.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 18th, 2018, 08:13 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

@superfrog , I know I did not do justice to the maps with my analysis. I'm sure there were important features I overlooked for each of them. That's why I started by thanking all the mapmakers. They did the hard part. My part, which is spending three minutes looking at each, is easy.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 18th, 2018, 09:56 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
3. Battlefield 23 ~ One of my favorites. I wonder about the name. Is it self referential, like The National's song Conversation 16? As in, "here's my take on something common, with my own slight variation on it." Well, I like the road across the whole thing and I like the columns as LoS blockers throughout. The whole thing looks sharp and would play well - though not as well - without glyphs.
Thanks for the nice words! The back story should help with the name a little bit - be warned it's a touch on the long side. Here's a link to my original post on the Contest Thread with the back stories in it.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old August 19th, 2018, 12:11 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: WINNER! - Secret Treasures of Valhalla

CONGRATULATIONS REDNAX!!!

Download
Requirements: 1 SotM, 1 VW, 1 TJ
Glyphs: Valda, Dagmar
Bio: Deep in the recesses of the Ticalla Jungle there lies a field of lava, an imposing sight for many travelers. The intense heat of the area has caused many to not even approach it. Recently, some hidden artifacts have emerged from the magma, causing many armies to converge on the area to see who can claim them first.

We have a winner!!! Jungle Fever by @rednax has taken the win on this map building contest...but boy was it a close one. We had 6 maps all running a close race for the #1 spot! I speak for all of us judges when I say we have thoroughly enjoyed this!!! We had 14 total map submissions, which was on the smaller side of previous contests, but nonetheless impressed with the quality of builds. Clearly our mapmakers took time to design and playtest these maps which is so awesome! As promised, we will be playtesting these maps to determine their balance and competitive worth. Those that we consider worthy of tournament play will be added to our Tournament Map Thread here. We will post our public reviews on your maps. Those that wish to receive assistance and workshop their maps, head on over to our workshop thread here. Thank you again for your participation, we're already excited for the next one

We'll make sure to get you your @TREX Custom Dice Tower: Dicebowl prize just PM Trex your address information!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 19th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow! Thanks so much everyone! This is the third contest I've entered but my first time winning. I feel very honored to be among so many other talented mapmakers. And thank you of course to the judges for all of the time you put in to making these contests happen!
Old August 19th, 2018, 02:29 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Congrats @rednax !!! And to all the other participants, I'm super excited to play on all of these maps!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old August 19th, 2018, 04:03 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
7. Rocky Mounds ~ A very good map. Looks good, pathing all over the place, and road to ease travel. It's not groundbreaking, but it looks exactly like something I'd choose for a tournament, and it's likely I will do just that.
Just the fact that you would consider it good enough to bring to a tournament is the biggest compliment you could give. Thank you.
Old August 19th, 2018, 09:43 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Congratulations @rednax ! I'll have to build it soon and give it a whirl.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla