Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old July 13th, 2013, 09:27 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Arrow Gruts

I find these guys best when I have at least one Swog Rider for each squad of Arrow Gruts. Nerak and Raelin help a lot also.

It's a lot harder for Syvarris to rip through Arrow Gruts when they have height and are backed by 1-2 Swogs, Nerak, and Raelin. A couple weeks ago I brought the Arrow Gruts to a tournament. I played against WoA, Syvarris, Sonlen, and Emirroon. Syvarris came at me, but I already had some Arrow Gruts on the central high ground supported by Swogs. He didn't kill any of my guys and I made a pincushion out of him in one or two turns.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old July 13th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I find these guys best when I have at least one Swog Rider for each squad of Arrow Gruts. Nerak and Raelin help a lot also.

It's a lot harder for Syvarris to rip through Arrow Gruts when they have height and are backed by 1-2 Swogs, Nerak, and Raelin. A couple weeks ago I brought the Arrow Gruts to a tournament. I played against WoA, Syvarris, Sonlen, and Emirroon. Syvarris came at me, but I already had some Arrow Gruts on the central high ground supported by Swogs. He didn't kill any of my guys and I made a pincushion out of him in one or two turns.
I think it really depends on how you want to use these guys. I've never found the 1:1 ration of AG's to Swogs useful. Sure, its cool to fire off super-powered arrows, but that requires the terrain (and your opponent) to cooperate.

I've generally always prefered another actual Hero in place of ton of swogs. Mimring+Krug+Ice Troll at the same time is far more impressive (and terrifying to play against), than having 3 or 4 swogs around 2 or 3 Arrow Gruts. I generally only end up putting about 1 or 2 swogs in my builds. It's not as startzone cramping either.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; July 13th, 2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Mind you, I'm not an excellent player either. ^_~
Old July 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I've generally always prefered another actual Hero in place of ton of swogs. Mimring+Krug+Ice Troll at the same time is far more impressive (and terrifying to play against), than having 3 or 4 swogs around 2 or 3 Arrow Gruts. I generally only end up putting about 1 or 2 swogs in my builds. It's not as startzone cramping either.

Are you saying that before you take a turn with each Grut you get to bond?

Arrow Grut #1, first take a turn with Mimring;
Arrow Grut #2, first take a turn with Krug;
Arrow Grut #3, first take a turn with Ice Troll;

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:12 PM

King of Blanks has disabled reputation

No, you bond only one time (when you activate the squad).

No comment...

---------------------------------------
Member, defeated by Xanth club.
Old July 18th, 2013, 04:49 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

Are you saying that before you take a turn with each Grut you get to bond?

Arrow Grut #1, first take a turn with Mimring;
Arrow Grut #2, first take a turn with Krug;
Arrow Grut #3, first take a turn with Ice Troll;
Errr... no. While that would be pretty epic, I don't do that.

But I see how you could have read it that way.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 19th, 2013, 07:43 AM

faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness faure wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Needs to be updated with Grigor & Rogirg as a new Beast bonding option.
Old July 19th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post
I'm not sure if "Official" books has the updates from VC units...

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.
Old July 19th, 2013, 08:29 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieLoche View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by faure View Post
I'm not sure if "Official" books has the updates from VC units...
That is correct.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 6th, 2015, 05:50 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Arrow Gruts
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
Old July 10th, 2019, 01:28 PM

EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker EricTheGreat1999 knows what's in an order marker

I don't understand why the Arrow Gruts are so highly rated- the fact that this squad is given a higher rating than other units like Syvaris is a crime in and of itself.

The problem is that this squad is totally reliant on the Swog Rider, if it wants a chance at having an impact during the game. You basically have to protect your Swog Rider at all costs, because if he dies from a ranged unit attack then you're stuck with a useless squad of ogres with bows and arrows. With a height advantage you could get an attack value of 3, but that depends on the map, amongst other things; this squad is just too reliant on a hero figure, and without the hero figure these guys are useless.
Old July 10th, 2019, 01:53 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I could give you some reasons why I think the Arrow Gruts are pretty good if you'd like.

But if you're just going to go to a bunch of books and say "this unit sucks" without actually looking for discussion, then I'd kindly recommend that you stop.
Old July 10th, 2019, 02:05 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

See recent Unit Debate # 69 Arrow Gruts vs Blade Gruts for which the Arrow Gruts are just edging out the Blade Gruts. Basically in competitive play people use at least 1 Swog for every 2 squads of Arrow Gruts, in addition to Krug and usually Raelin. In the hands of a good player this is a pretty good army - not the best but better than most.

Arrow Gruts
  • Jexik: Arrow Gruts- Bonding, potential for higher attacks, cheap cost. Once one of the most competitive squads around, they seem to be in decline. B+
  • OEAO: Arrow Gruts- The worst orc squad still has quite a bit going for them with a great threat range and solid bonding choices. Swogs make them offensively relevant and Krug is a tank. B+
  • Cleon: Tier 7 (54/208)
  • dok (VC inclusive): B+

Blade Gruts
  • Jexik: Blade Gruts- Though weak in attack and defense, Grimnak and a cheap cost keep the Blades reasonably competitive. B+
  • OEAO: A-
  • Cleon: Tier 7 (57/208)
  • dok (VC inclusive): B+

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units