Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old February 24th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby!
The little monk that could!

Last night, I was able to get Master Win Chiu Woo in position for his influence with the monks.
While Woo was dealing with DW8K, the Shaolin Monks moved in to strike Heavy Gruts, Ornak, and Brunak.

One monk leaped right in the middle, tagged height -enhanced Brunak for a wound, finished off a half-life Ornak, and laid down the kill to two Heavy Gruts. The opportunity was there and the rolls were hot.
I believe that was the most attacks I've seen with Shaolin Assault - four.
Nice to see the Monks be worthy!
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I used them in a tourney a while back and they did pretty well. I placed third I think. It is very difficult to move them while being in the aura of their master. They are very difficult to play but they sure can be good. Their leap is amazing.
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Sci-fi Messiah has disabled reputation
I just received my Wave 3 set last night and got the chance to use them today. To be honest they didn't move at all until the end. Stealth Leap gave them no advantage on the battlefield we were using. But after everyone else on my team was dead, they sprang out of the starting zone and cleaned up the battlefield. I can't wait to use them again actually.

"Thought he, life is wicked in all meridians. I'll die a pagan."
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:43 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
The more I play with commons, the more I find I want 3 of them. I'd like to get a third set of Monks to play this in an all-melee match:

140 Master Win Chiu Woo
120 Raelin 2.0
240 Monks x3

Everyone whirlwinds!

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by rym
Yeah, I don't have Woo, but this tourney is more about fun and theme armies rather than uber-competitive (i.e, no rats,Q9, etc), which is why I'm going to try them.

Out of curiosity, what army did you use, gamjuven?
Master Woo
Monks x2
Nilfheim
Isamu

I actually placed 4th it seems, after looking at the old thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...10488&start=60
Old November 10th, 2008, 11:52 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Shaolin Monks

I recently acquired 3 sets of monks; that said i also acquired 3 sets of sentinels.

I love the monks! Me and my brother played a 600 point game and I took the monks, him the sentinels.

Most of my army did nothing: Kaemon killed Syvvaris and was later killed w/o doing anything else and Charos sat back and waited.

But! The Monks rocked the board; they took 3 squads of sentinels backed by Raelin (RotV)! My brother complained that taking all those rolls every turn was a waste of time due to the ridiculous defense he was rollin', but I proved him way wrong! Just goes to show you that many rolls will eventually screw up even the most solid defense. Also playing very carefully was a big help; I think I would have gotten squashed if I didn't get one guy on height and the rest even.

I don't have Woo, but I'm partly glad I don't. My reasoning for this is that I would feel that I am missing part of the monks potential power for missing out on his aura. Even with his aura I feel that play would be greatly affected; having all of my monks bound to a 2 hex radius would hurt their mobility, and the fact that they don't bond doesn't help it. So, IMO Mr. Woo is more of a hindrance to the monks than a mobility master. If say maybe in addition to height he added distance (4-5 instead of 3) he may be more useful.

Though maneuvering Concan isn't to hard and he only does adjacent bonuses... (we switched armies after game one)

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby! Hex_Enduction_Hour rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
I love the monks!
Me too. Jandar's Oath is my favorite for its variety of common squads - the Shaolins and Marrdens the cream of the cool crop.
But the big design blunder with the Monks was the Leap not accessing castle walls with battlements

On a similar weak note, the Monks seem to get in and if they don't pull off a serious can of whupping, they're praying for survival until their next activation. I've been advised in the past to attack units that won't be activating in a following turn. That can be a tough task when dealing with commons - and they're exactly who the Monks excel at countering.

It is good to mention hopping in on double-based heroes or squads as this can increase the range/reach of the monks and their Assault ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLanturn View Post
Most of my army did nothing: Kaemon killed Syvvaris and was later killed w/o doing anything else and Charos sat back and waited.
Interesting army! I have a monks army which utilizes both archer heroes:

Monks x2 160
Woo 300
Syvarris 400
kaemon 520 (or howsabout Raelin SotM for ultimate Assault theme )

I played it this past weekend against S1R_ART0R1US.
It was my night to play fun armies. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

S1R threw 'Reavers, a whole mess of Stingers, Raelin, and Runa(!) at my forces. It was too much. With my archers busy dealing with Reavers and unable to focus on the approaching Stingers, my monks would engage the enemy Stingers, but their defense couldn't hold up to S1R's Drain rolls!

Concerning Woo. If you enjoy the ability of the Monks, you've got to prozy a figure for Woo and give him a whirl. Hop him into a situation and knock some heads, then bring in the Monks to assist as needed. The two sight spaces is small, but give nice, clustered, fighting-crowd situations reminiscent of Kung Fu movies.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:34 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
Interesting army! I have a monks army which utilizes both archer heroes:

Monks x2 160
Woo 300
Syvarris 400
kaemon 520 (or howsabout Raelin SotM for ultimate Assault theme )

I played it this past weekend against S1R_ART0R1US.
It was my night to play fun armies. Well, it was fun while it lasted.

S1R threw 'Reavers, a whole mess of Stingers, Raelin, and Runa(!) at my forces. It was too much. With my archers busy dealing with Reavers and unable to focus on the approaching Stingers, my monks would engage the enemy Stingers, but their defense couldn't hold up to S1R's Drain rolls!

Concerning Woo. If you enjoy the ability of the Monks, you've got to prozy a figure for Woo and give him a whirl. Hop him into a situation and knock some heads, then bring in the Monks to assist as needed. The two sight spaces is small, but give nice, clustered, fighting-crowd situations reminiscent of Kung Fu movies.
We played a 600 point game, and our armies were:

Mine:
Monks x2
Kaemon
Charos
AE

His:
Syvvaris
Sentinels x3
Concan
Raelin

I'll admit I had some really lucky defense with the monks, but Kaemon was to counter both Syvvaris. One shot KO; though, he took 3 hits before he could shoot, but he also took the lives of 2 sentinels through counter strike alone. Charos was an obvious counter to the massive amount of melee he played; he ended up killing Concan and 2 sentinels. The AE never dropped .

Monks did the rest; it was a really good fight though I was pretty confident having charos for cleanup. I think I would have been roasted if I lost Kaemon and Syvvaris had lived.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.

Last edited by GreenLanturn; November 11th, 2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Capitalizing my 'i's. :p
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM

Orange is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I was thinking about the monks and Einar Imperium today and they have the same stats except the monks have one more move. The Monks have stealth leap and the Einar Imperium have stealth flying. Stealth flying is better then stealth leap and one extra move imo but not by much and I think double attack has the same potiental as shaolin assult so i dont see how the EI cost 60 more points.
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I think double attack has the same potiental as shaolin assult so i dont see how the EI cost 60 more points.
Double attack means being able to attack a single figure twice. The Monks must have multiple foes adjacent to get multiple attacks. Also, TEI have a pretty nifty support hero ability from Kiova. That said, neither the monks nor TEI get a lot of tournament respect.

~Aldin, who supposes Atlaga makes TEI better too

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:37 PM

Orange is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post

Double attack means being able to attack a single figure twice. The Monks must have multiple foes adjacent to get multiple attacks. Also, TEI have a pretty nifty support hero ability from Kiova. That said, neither the monks nor TEI get a lot of tournament respect.

~Aldin, who supposes Atlaga makes TEI better too
The monks have the potiental to each hit more then two figures in a round and have support from the master. Also im not saying the monks are alot better or even better at all but i think this two units should have a closer price cost to each other
Old June 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

But the monks can't hit the same unit twice. That makes the EI better vs heroes. Not to mention, how often do you actually get surrounded by more than 2 units? Not very.

I do agree that the EI could probably stand to lose a few points, though, say, I don't know, in the 110 area like the rest of the freaking kyrie squads?!

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units