Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old March 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
For the record, 2 of the top 4 finishers last weekend did NOT have Q9. Sure, first place did, but Laglor was the spine-breaker in that army, not Q9. So he looks good, but looks can be deceiving. It's all in how you use him.
I completely agree with this statement. It isn't Q9 himself that is the problem as much as the threat of Q9 is intimidating and distracting. I realized this when, at the end of our revdyer game, I pointed out my Q9 didn't do much at all, and rev said "well he served his purpose of being a giant target." Then I realized that in effect, Q9 had won us the game by distracting our opponents into attacking him while our Krav and Nakitas did most of the actual killing. I also think some people think Q9 is so hard to kill you might as well attack something else instead, but the fact remains that you can't kill what you don't attack, and odds are you are going to need a lot of attacks on Q9, so you might as well start early and attack often.

I know it kinda sucks to play similar armies over and over because I have had to do it too, but I am getting kinda tired of all the Q9-hating and complaining on these boards. Q9 isn't all that

EDIT: I see rev concurred my memory as I was previewing this post!

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:19 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm in the anti-Q9 boat, if you couldn't tell by now.

My team was fortunate enough to only face Q9 twice in our four games. Both games he was a major player but both times he went down to lucky dice rolls.

In fact, my buddy and I came this --> || close to bringing the exact same army as RyRun. What dissuaded us was not that it was less powerful than the dragon army we did end up bringing, but that the dragon army didn't have Q9. Just wanted to be different. (Nonconformist? )

At any rate, the primary reason I like the Worst Army idea at this point is that I'm assured to not see Q9. Give me a month or so and maybe I won't be quite so jaded, but as it stands, the robot is still the most undercosted unit in the game and I loathe the idea of 75% of entries to tournaments including Q9 from now on.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
In the army Ry and funrun ran, it wasn't Q9, but the Q9, Nikita, Krav, Laglor, rats combination played by a great team that won.!
I would love to see their battle reports, but I know that in my game with them Q9 went down about mid way through the game. That unit was not the deciding factor by any means.
I was halfway through writing one late last night and accidentally closed the browser window.

To all who asked about photos, check the event thread!

funrun's HS Repaints
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
funrun, we are in perfect agreement as to our analysis of why we lost to you and Ry. This was not a case of bad dice. My team focused too much energy on Q9, not enough on Laglor, and certainly not enough on both sets of agents. We were outplayed, but not by Q9; rather, by the other human team.
Old March 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus

UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker UranusPChicago knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by UranusPChicago
Do not misinterpret here, I am not saying Q9 is broken. I am just bringing up the fact that 75% of the teams at our tournament felt that having Q9 on their team gave them the best chance to win. That is what concerns me...

Heroscape, I like; Q9scape, not so much.
Well, it appears I was misinterpreted anyway...

Again, I do not think Q9 is broken nor am I a "playa hatah".

It just concerns me, rightly or wrongly, that a vast majority of Heroscape players see any single unit as the best unit. Using our last tournament for a very sweeping, generalistic example, roughly 75% believe that having Q9 in an army gives them the best chance for a winning army.

Yes, we have had trends of Orc armies and 4th Mass and others belonging to the Army-of-the-Month club, but there has at least always been variety as to army composition up to this point. Be it any figure, I do not look forward to playing in tournaments against the same figure (army card) over and over; I like the strategy that variety provides. Up to this point, at least in tournaments in North Texas, there has been plenty of variety in army composition.

As most of you guys know, I still think that a core army based around Marcus, Legionnaires, and 4th Mass is one of the strongest out there, but there were plenty of others who felt that an Orc army, or a Marro army, or a Viper army, or a mismash of any other figures would do just as well. It appears that we are moving away from variety. I guess that is the fact that bums me out at this time. I hope you understand what I am trying to get across...

UPC's Heroscape Strategy Blog (and whatever else the Muse sends my way...)

Old March 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
There will always be non-conformists UPC. There were a few of us this last tourney and there will be more in the future. In fact I think that at some point using Q9 will be viewed as using a crutch and people will gravitate away from him.

Or maybe that's just the "worst player in Dallas" talking. :P
Old March 14th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
UPC nailed it. It's not a matter of Q9 being broken but more of a concern for variety. I've seen this in many games where there are a few units/cards/what-have-you that must be included in an army/deck/what-have-you to be competitive. I just don't want HS to go that route and the tourney just emphasized the issue.

I hope markwars is right and we will see Q9 become less of a problem in the future due to new releases. Craig and the HS group haven't let us down yet.

Newb.
Old March 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
funrun, we are in perfect agreement as to our analysis of why we lost to you and Ry. This was not a case of bad dice. My team focused too much energy on Q9, not enough on Laglor, and certainly not enough on both sets of agents. We were outplayed, but not by Q9; rather, by the other human team.
And there, markwars, we have team agreement on what happened in our game 3. :P I agree mostly with what you yourself wrote in your battle report for our game 1, and johnathon wrote an equally as accurate report for our game 5. Now if only UPC and SRx would battle write battle reports for us too. . .

Was there anything in particular you were wanting to know from team RyRun? As I started writing my report last night I did feel like I was merely repeating info from these other 3 reports.

funrun's HS Repaints
Old March 14th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I was mainly wondering how many games you lost Q9 and what units took him out when he did die.

Old March 14th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
I was mainly wondering how many games you lost Q9 and what units took him out when he did die.
But, in fairness, this question should be asked of the fourteen teams or so who used Q9 and did not win all of their games. Otherwise you could as easily ask, "Why is it that every team that won all their games used the Nakitas?"
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

Quote:
Quote:
But, in fairness, this question should be asked of the fourteen teams or so who used Q9 and did not win all of their games. Otherwise you could as easily ask, "Why is it that every team that won all their games used the Nakitas?"
I would love to ask that. In fact I did....please everyone go write up a battle report.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:10 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
In our 5 games Q9 died twice.

Krug killed him once (markwars) and was dispatched shortly after.

Revdyer's 2nd to last 4th Mass managed to finally take him out in the last round of the game. (funrun doesn't recall this and I sort of forgot, but now that I look back I do recall Revdyer's persistence paying off, finally winning the battle to take down Q9. But of course losing the war.)

I would be remiss if I didn't share this thought concerning Q9 and the army Funrun and I played. The honest truth of the matter is neither of us like playing Q9. Neither of us are comfortable with him. We both tend to roll poorly with him. I firmly believe that if Laglor did not exist we would have played an entirely different army. We evaluated the "friendly" pieces in the game and decided which had the most powerful enhancement and built an army around that figure. In the evolution of the army, Q9 had to be a part of it; the army wasn't built around Q9. Of course Q9 was the best choice in that he has the intimidating factor and the absorbing attack value. In all 5 of our games, Q9 did not dominate any one of them.

Back on track.....

For worst army, let's see if we can finalize...

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...=7269&start=15

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events