Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 13th, 2010, 12:51 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Bonding Choice for Deathchasers of Thesk

Okay, as the title suggests, this is a thread to figure out the pros and cons of the various bonding options that the new Deathchasers of Thesk have.

Nerak the Swog Rider - Nice and cheap, goes easy with a large amount of orcs, plus some added synergy with the defense bonus that is much needed. Also that 8 movement will be greatly helpful when it comes to catching up to the orcs after that first turn. This guy to me seems like a must have in the Deathchaser army.

Ogre Warhulk - Ah yes, a choice between a Pulverizer and Warhulk. A Warhulk is 150 pts so fairly expensive, not likely you'll have 2 in your army. 8 life is great with 3 defense. 5 attack is very nice and with Hurricane you have a great possibility of taking out multiple figures. He is two hexed which does cause movement issues. A nice high attack to take out the scary figures though.

Ogre Pulverizer - Only 100 pts so you might be able to swing 2 of them in your army. 6 life is fairly high although only 3 defense and self-counterstrike could see him dying quickly. Decent attack of 4 and a guarantee of 2 attacks should not be overlooked. This guy with the orcs can give you 5 strength 4 (at least) attacks. That's pretty scary. Also, he is only 1 hex so there's a ton of nice movement options there. Tough choice.

Me-Burq-Sa - Ah, another good 'ol 50 pt hero. Nice and cheap, fast, reliable, and fun. No other synergy but he's just a decent figure to have, and he adds some much needed range to this army.

Swog Rider - This one I don't see as much use. 25 pts is nice and cheap, and the 8 movement again is nice, but single life and no other synergy (remember the card says "orc ARCHERS") makes this choice a little hard in my opinion. Still though, if you have 25 pts left over he might be a good choice. I might still rather take Marcu or something but that's me. Now another avenue that these guys open up is an army of Deathchasers and arrow gruts. Might be a little zone restrictive but could be interesting and the arrow gruts would add range to the army. Could be fun.

So if I had to rank them I'd go as follows:

#1 Nerak
#2 Me-Burq-Sa
#3 Ogre Pulverizer
#4 Ogre Warhulk
#5 Swog Rider

(although I admit the Pulverizer vs. Warhulk debate is a very close one in my opinion. It will come down to how the army fits together vs the two of them)

So besides my dislike of the new Orc sculpts (they just don't look similar enough for me), I really like the squad and they seem like great fun to try out. I always love bonding and the variety of fun armies that can come from these guys is good. They remind me of the clansmen. But anyway I open up the floor for discussion about what heroes you think would be best for this squad. Obviously pt total is a huge factor as is the meta game (but not beacuse you don't have enough because everyone should have enough squad members to make up any army). But anyway let's discuss!

Last edited by gamjuven; October 13th, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:55 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Bonding Choice for Deathchasers of Thesk

That makes three different squads that Me-Burq-Sa bonds with (Romans, Groks, and now Deathchasers). There has to be a really cool build in there somewhere.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM

General Nilfy Woo who?

Won't MBS die rather fast though? 3 life with 3 defense is not really good for staying power.
Old October 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
That makes three different squads that Me-Burq-Sa bonds with (Romans, Groks, and now Deathchasers). There has to be a really cool build in there somewhere.
Wow, I forgot about those guys. I forgot I had them. Unless you are playing a huge battle though I doubt you could fit an army that had all those aspects. Makes for a really unusual thematic army that's for sure. But yeah Me-Burq-Sa is awesome, and these guys make one more reason why that hero booster pack is one of the best to get for new players.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Nilfy View Post
Won't MBS die rather fast though? 3 life with 3 defense is not really good for staying power.
This is true, but the orcs are also not known for their staying power, so thematically it works. Nonetheless Me-Burq-Sa has range, and a ton of movement, and he's only 50 pts. He can easily earn back his points. With that cheap cost you can also afford to maybe have a larger, more staying hero as well.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:06 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

I like Nerak for this, for sure. Me-Burq-Sa would also be nice because he'll have an easier time keeping up with the chasers at the start of the game.

I like the idea of bonding with the slow ogres for theme reasons, too. The orcs rush forward in a battle rage and as they are dwindling the terrible ogre warhulk lumbers up to the front lines. Good stuff.

Actually, their speed might make a good argument for swogs as part of this army.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:14 PM

SebastianBludd posted a great army for these guys in the unit's thread:

Arrow Gruts x4 160
Swog Rider x3 75
Death Chasers x3 165
Nerak 50
Me-Burq-Sa 50
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:16 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't play many games w/ a 31-hex start zone...
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nerak and MBS both rock in these - Nerak for the defense, MBS is weak but he can stay behind the line and help against heroes as well.

The Orges, you have to be careful with the Warhulk so he doesn't kill your own squads so the Pulverizer might be a safer choice. All in all, I really like the new Bonding options.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Perhaps this army lends itself to the slow roll.

As in, you send up Nerak to blanket everyone, then slowly move everyone up while an Ogre Warhulk destroys the enemy's frontlines. I'm liking 2x Ogre Pulverizer as well.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I agree Nerak is a must. Though I think MBS and the OP would be my second picks, depending on points etc. I like MBS because I feel I can throw Raelin in and force the action a bit to me using MBS' range to pull them in a bit.

DCoT x 4 - 220
Rae - 300
OP - 400
Nerak - 450
MBS - 500

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old October 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Here is how I would rank the bonding options. Probably pretty similar to how you would:

#1 - Nerak - These guys have 2 defense and getting an extra defense is huge for their survivability. 8 movement helps a ton.

#2 - Me-Burq-Sa - Deathchasers can't shoot anything. Me-Burq has range and can sometimes clear a Deathreaver without forcing a scatter. In a world of Raelin, defense penetration is huge.

#3 - Ogre Pulverizer - Cheap and hard hitting. It'd be easy to see the Pulverizer at #2 if Deathreavers aren't commonplace at your tournament scene.

#4 - Ogre Warhulk - The Warhulk creates a different type of Deathchaser army. Not bad by any means though. Warhulk + Raelin + Chasers x 4 = Solid core for 450.

#5 - Swog Rider - Fodder material. Swog provides no boost and is at best a throw away to attempt a kill or two and draw enemy fire.

Also MM's army is probably how I would do it at 500 as well. With Raelin the DC's can get up to 5 defense and they start to behave more like Capuan Gladiators. This is one army I wholly expect to be at least tier 2 with potential for tier 1ness.

Grenade lobbyist

Last edited by MattserTruckRally; October 13th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion