Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old May 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
I sure wish that the ****** faction would be released soon too, I sure did love to play that army, with all of the ******s and the s******* **c****. What a great set.

I am really excited, and I can't wait to plop down ... wait... what is the retail price point expectation?
potty word filter working overtime!
Ditto. Never seen that many *'ed word before.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Three words:

THIS...GAME...ROCKS...!!!

Newb.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

Just a bit about my experience playing Summoner Wars:

•I have played it against long time gamers - They loved it.
•I have played it against my wife, who is, at best, a casual gamer - She asked to play a second game immediately after the first.
•I have played it against my 10 year old son - He loved it. His strategy wasn't great, but he'll learn.
•Although I love map building in 'Scape, one of the things that keeps me from playing it more often is setup time and space - Summoner Wars takes about 2 minutes to setup.
•The theme absolutly drips from this game - Each faction, while using the same basic rules, plays so differently.
•The four factions that come in the Starter sets are amazing - it's hard to believe that the expansion factions will hold a match to them, but they do!
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!

1. Is the game mat made by Cavalier, or (1.a) Will Cav have an opportunity to license an aftermarket mat?

2. Is there "Terrain"

3. Could there be an opportunity to have actual minis to go with the cards?

Graciously awaiting a CCG without Blind Purchase.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys View Post
1. Is the game mat made by Cavalier, or (1.a) Will Cav have an opportunity to license an aftermarket mat?

2. Is there "Terrain"

I can answer question number 1: While I had the opportunity to help Colby out with prototypes, I am unable to produce mats to the size specification that the game really needs. Not to mention the fact that in order to use Lexan mats (which don't fold well), The packaging would need to be very awkward.
Old May 5th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennys View Post

2. Is there "Terrain"

1a. I would definitely hook up with Cav for an after market mat if he could produce them to the size I need, but unfortunately that's a no go.

2. There are wall cards, each player starts with one on the board and each player has 2 more of them in their draw pile. These serve two purposes, the first is when you Summon a Unit to the Battlefield you have to place it next to a Wall Card that you control, which means strategic placement of Wall Cards is important. The second is it sets up an obstacle that can be hidden behind and can take 9 wounds before it is destroyed... which also makes placement important.

3. Yes actually, there is plenty of opportunity for minis, they could be placed right on top of the character art image on the card and would add a bit of glitz to the visual of the game while it is in play. In fact there was some interest shown by a mass market company in doing a licensed version of the game and one of the things they said they would want to do with it is have a mini for each of the summoners. I think if I did minis that is what I would do. If the game turned out to be a big enough success I would do minis for each of the summoners to add a little presence to them. That would be an optional buy in for the hardcore fan.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
A Robot in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

A card game without blind purchase? Awesome! I'm definitely picking this up when I get a chance. Best of luck to you, Truth!

I'm hoping there will be some golems in this game, I do so love golems.

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Titleless

Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death! Grishnakh is hot lava death!

Truth. Do you think I could flock the terrain matt?

Sorry, I just had to throw that in there. It's a very cool game indeed and I wish you the best with it. I know I'll pick up a copy of it when it's available.

My Custom Terrain Thread: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...read.php?t=448
My tribute site to TFT/Melee & Wizards: http://www.meleewizards.com/
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:33 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post
Truth. Do you think I could flock the terrain matt?

Sorry, I just had to throw that in there. It's a very cool game indeed and I wish you the best with it. I know I'll pick up a copy of it when it's available.

Hehehehehe....

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Congratulations Truth, it's good to hear that a member of our community has acomplished something that I know we've all fantasized about at one time or another.

I have two questions,

1) Am I correct in assuming that the Summoners are tied to thier factions and can't be mixed and matched with different factions?

2) You've stated that there will be two, two-faction starter decks in the inital release with new factions and expansions for the existing factions in later releases. How does this . . . packaging model work with deck customization? Do we have to wait for a faction to be expanded to modify the starter decks, do the starters have "extra cards" to allow immidiate customization, or would we buy multiple starters to customize the decks?

I ask because when I read your announcement my first thoughts were about Herocard. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a mediocre game, in my opinion, but it features "customizable decks." However to customize a deck, you need to buy multiple copies of sometimes pricey sets, or modify other decks to accomodate the changes you want to make in one. Summoner Wars appears to be a good enough game that I wouldn't mind that level of investment, but I would like to know what kind of model you're using for the customization aspects of the game.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:50 PM

ewabbie knows what's in an order marker ewabbie knows what's in an order marker

How about the winner of the Heroscape Championship at Gencon wins a autographed complete set.

Old May 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xn F M View Post
Congratulations Truth, it's good to hear that a member of our community has acomplished something that I know we've all fantasized about at one time or another.

I have two questions,

1) Am I correct in assuming that the Summoners are tied to thier factions and can't be mixed and matched with different factions?

2) You've stated that there will be two, two-faction starter decks in the inital release with new factions and expansions for the existing factions in later releases. How does this . . . packaging model work with deck customization? Do we have to wait for a faction to be expanded to modify the starter decks, do the starters have "extra cards" to allow immidiate customization, or would we buy multiple starters to customize the decks?

I ask because when I read your announcement my first thoughts were about Herocard. For those who aren't familiar with it, it's a mediocre game, in my opinion, but it features "customizable decks." However to customize a deck, you need to buy multiple copies of sometimes pricey sets, or modify other decks to accomodate the changes you want to make in one. Summoner Wars appears to be a good enough game that I wouldn't mind that level of investment, but I would like to know what kind of model you're using for the customization aspects of the game.

When building a custom deck you start with a summoner, that summoner's event cards, and that summoner's starting setup unit cards. you can then add in whatever units you like (to a max of 18 commons and 3 champions in your deck), but they must match the faction of the summoner. The exception to that rule is mercenaries, who don't have a faction and can be added into any deck. If you buy a Summoner Wars starter set from me (either online or at a convention) you get an exclusive promo card that is a mercenary champion.

You can customize your deck at the start by buying multiple starters so that you can mix up what amount of a particular unit is in your deck, or you can wait until expansion units are released that belong to that faction. Depending on sales, you shouldn't have to wait long before more units start becoming available. The expansion units come in a tuck box of just cards so they won't be very expensive to buy up.

All of that said, one of Summoner Wars strengths is that unlike your average hobby miniatures game, the expense is low enough that you can buy into more than one faction. So a variety in game play can be sought out by playing around with differing factions. In recent test playing we've been playing with just the cards that you would get with one purchase of each starter set and we are still getting in a bunch of games every week and I don't find that my local playtesters are wearing out on it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games