Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 15th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart
Tips for Noob Army

I would like some tips on a 500 point army. I just started playing in December and after destroying the rest of my non-strategic thinking family numerous times in HS, I am heading to one of the local gaming stores tomorrow night and am going to play against other people who have been playing the game for awhile. I fully expect to get dominated (well NOT REALLY, but I thought I would give a shot at sounding humble. What true warrior really EXPECTS to be beaten at anything? )

In most games, I have been using 3 - 4 ranged Heroes and the Krav Maga guys. I have been told that those types of armies are easily beat when playing against people who know what they are doing and have multiple squads. Can someone please give me some tips on a "balanced" army and a tiny bit of strategy to go with it? Here is what I have to choose from:

ROTV Master Set (30 figures)
SOTM Master Set (24 figures)
Zombies Pack
Heroes of Durgoth Pack
Orcs and Shades Pack
Kyrie and Samurai Archers Pack

Thanks for your help.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:12 PM

tyguy94920 is surprisingly tart
Re: Tips for Noob Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice
I would like some tips on a 500 point army. I just started playing in December and after destroying the rest of my non-strategic thinking family numerous times in HS, I am heading to one of the local gaming stores tomorrow night and am going to play against other people who have been playing the game for awhile. I fully expect to get dominated (well NOT REALLY, but I thought I would give a shot at sounding humble. What true warrior really EXPECTS to be beaten at anything? )

In most games, I have been using 3 - 4 ranged Heroes and the Krav Maga guys. I have been told that those types of armies are easily beat when playing against people who know what they are doing and have multiple squads. Can someone please give me some tips on a "balanced" army and a tiny bit of strategy to go with it? Here is what I have to choose from:

ROTV Master Set (30 figures)
SOTM Master Set (24 figures)
Zombies Pack
Heroes of Durgoth Pack
Orcs and Shades Pack
Kyrie and Samurai Archers Pack

Thanks for your help.
First this would be better in the Competitive armies Discusion Thread

For some very good armies go here http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=12704

You can also find some more armies in his sig "What's in a Order Marker"

Jexik wrote some good articles about this.

Welcome to the site

Click Above for My Sig Link
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:26 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Some help could lie here in the competitive armies forum
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/viewforum.php?f=29

I would suggest one of the following with their strategies

For a non tactical but overwhelming army id suggest
Marro Hive 160
Marro Drudge x2 100
Marro Stingers x2 120
Ne-Gok-Sa 90
Eldgrim 30

First off send out Eldgrim to see if you can get you're enemy in some corners then start rushing with you're squads with markers on the hive so you can regenerate if you need to. But keep the marro hero back to help protect you're hive. Maybe you'll get lucky to and mind shackle someone.
Just dont let the pressure up though.

A quick attack army with devastating back up
Finn 80
Thorgrim 80
Eldgrim 30
Q10 150
New Raelin 120
Any fillers you can

Send out Thorgrim,Finn, and Eldgrim with Raelin protection. Do any damage you can to tie up units. Once the three champions are dead bring out Q10 and start devastating. Also any fillers use them when needed. Make sure though all unit spirits go to Q10

My last suggestion
Carr 100
Krav 100
Q10 150
New Raelin 120
Eldgrim 30

The strategy is clear in the army it's self. Move in all agents and carr under Raelin protection, get high ground and hold it while Eldgrim does some damage to tie up the enemy at the bottom of the hill or elevation spot you're on so you get free chances to do all damage you can.
Once eldgrim is dead bring up Q10 fast to give more support.

This is all I have right now look at them and choose what you like and edit if you want so it fits to you're exact situation

Record Count Since First Tourney
Wins 45 Losses 52
Old January 16th, 2008, 02:46 AM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart
Thanks

Thanks Chief, I will give those armies and strategies a try. My oldest daughter used the Maro Hive with Stingers and Drudges and gave me a pretty good run for my money when we first picked up SOTM. But other than regeneration, she never kept anyone back to protect the hive.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old January 16th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
As tyguy mentioned, What's in an Order Marker? might help you figure out how to make a balanced army.

Also, I'd suggest taking a look at spider_poison's Power Rankings and gamjuven's Guide to Making a Competitive army.

If you really like the Krav and unique ranged heroes, I think the best thing for you to do would be to go out and grab yourself 2 squads of Deathreavers and then fill in as many ranged units as you can in your available hexes. The rats will tie up your foes while your ranged units knock them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 16th, 2008, 06:53 PM

chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness chief wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice
Thanks Chief, I will give those armies and strategies a try. My oldest daughter used the Maro Hive with Stingers and Drudges and gave me a pretty good run for my money when we first picked up SOTM. But other than regeneration, she never kept anyone back to protect the hive.
No problem hope they work for you

Record Count Since First Tourney
Wins 45 Losses 52
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:57 AM

MinhBinh has disabled reputation
Instead of SOTM Raelin, I would rather substitute in ROTV Raelin and use that extra forty points for another squad. Personally I never bring in any version of Raelin with the intention of attacking with her, so the main difference between the two for me is their defensive aura.

SOTM Raelin has superior range (6), but her aura only gives one defensive die. Meanwhile ROTV Raelin has a shorter range (4), but her aura gives two defensive die. Even if they cost the same, I would still rather have the shorter range for a stronger buff. Even on a huge map, I don't usually spread my attackers out so far that they are consistently not able to be covered by Raelin.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion