Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: In head to head matches with other Scapers, how good are you...really, no lies...
There are entire semesters at West Point and Anapolis spent studying my military strategies. I've never lost and never will. 3 2.80%
I'm pretty darn good. I rarely lose to anyone, no matter what army I play. 13 12.15%
I'm good. I can win most of my matches, especially with my favorite army. 35 32.71%
It's all in the dice. I win about 50% of the time no matter what. 40 37.38%
No so good buddy. I can hold my own for awhile, but I lose a lot of the matches I play. 15 14.02%
I'm pretty bad. I've only won rarely and I just can't seem to improve my game. 1 0.93%
Me stooopid...mee loose evertime 0 0%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM
something

noodles knows what's in an order marker noodles knows what's in an order marker
I'm the lonely vote for "i'm bad". I rarely win but I don't care.
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
I'm 50% but I know I could improve if I played more, and against more of the people in our area.

What do the HS masters have to say about practicing? What is the most effective way to boost your tactical knowledge? Are there any books or resources out there that could help in any generic strategy game? (And no, please don't say Sun Tzu's Art of War).
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar
I'm 50% but I know I could improve if I played more, and against more of the people in our area.

What do the HS masters have to say about practicing? What is the most effective way to boost your tactical knowledge? Are there any books or resources out there that could help in any generic strategy game? (And no, please don't say Sun Tzu's Art of War).
I have been practicing using the Automated Battle Rules, its a good time and I have even lost a couple of times.
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
I chose the third option. I'm good, win often. I beat one of my kids every time we play, and the other maybe 2 out of 3. I have several friends who never beat me and one who out-thinks and out-rolls me on every level. I don't make a lot of mistakes when I play, but when I do, the game is all but over from that point on!
Old July 13th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm no master, but I'd say the best way to practice Nooblar is to simply play a LOT of games...even if you're playing SoloScape it will help. Most of my practice on a daily basis comes from games with my six year-old. But that has actually helped me a lot...when I let him decide my armies for me I'm forced to play units I might not like or be familiar with and that helps. Simply playing one unit vs one unit quickie matches with my son also helps me stay familiar with all of the units, their powers, the interactivity, etc. Playing daily will help you with ANY game out there (be it crosswords, video games, pool, or basketball).

And perhaps the best way is playing people that are way better than you. Luckily I have no short supply of very good long time gamers willing to kick my butt on a monthly basis at the DFW gatherings. :P Playing the best makes you better even if you lose virtually every game. At the very least you get to see why your army sucked, why their units were superior, how they attacked with their armies, etc. I also try to pick their brain after they've slaughtered me (hey it's the least they can do after an ego boost right?). I ask them what mistakes they thought I might have made. I ask them where they thought the battle was won or lost. I ask them what they think of units that I'm playing and units they played. Ask lots of questions.

I'm still no expert...and as long as I feel that the dice betray me regularly I won't be....but I do feel that my game in general is improving. My biggest challenge with a terrible short term memory is keeping up with all my enhancements, basic movement rules, and crap like that.

Old July 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM

gibberish_47 Woo who?
Quote:

Noob, it'd really your fault you don't practice enough. You need to get out here to 'scape more often.

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:35 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Quote:

I actually have to say Sun Tzu's Art of War is worthwhile. Seriously. I have two copies that are different translations. It's a quick read, and if you understand it, you will get how it will help your strategy. Otherwise it's all about Allen Iverson's favorite thing in the world, practice. Learning comes from repetition. Whether that is "book" learning, motor (skill) learning, or 'scape learning. If you want to really get the nerd freak on, build a map and play one on one with you taking both sides, or do situational stuff. Pro golfers do this all the time. They will create a "game-like scenario/environment and then practice that type of shot over and over again. Think the undo function on spider solitaire. Go as far as you can/like and then "reset".
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:55 AM

Jandars_Hope is surprisingly tart
Most of the time i play as both sides when i don't have anyone else to play against! *OMG! That made me sound very sad and lonely!*
But in all fairness it does let you see things from both sides and helps you learn to react to the other persons actions.
Old July 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:

I like that... I know what you are saying... but one could take "the people in your area "( I think I am one of them ) aren't very good and you could improve your record agaisnt weak compotition. Again I know what you were saying but it struck me funny when I read that.

Hope to see you in Tree Town this October - didn't get to do battle last month in Austin.

Tree Town Open VX

Albert Lea MN
Saturday - October 19, 2019
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker
I'm pretty good now, way back when though my game was rubbish. I do have a real weakness against Deadeye and any Frenzie characters, but other than that I'm alright, but not the best, I'll leave that title to Endpawn.

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:39 PM
something

noodles knows what's in an order marker noodles knows what's in an order marker
I can sum up the art of war for you - if 2 sides are fighting the side with the best espionage will win.
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Good point, noodles! Another way to sum up the Art of War:

Never do what the enemy is expecting and always expect the unexpected.

Newb.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion