Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old October 9th, 2009, 12:48 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Importance of the Nobel Peace Prize

What a joke. Give the award and then expect results.

It seems the Nobel committee has been swept up in the Obama hype as well.

I hope he's successful now because he's in charge but so far it's a lot of people flopping over fluff.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Mr. Obama's response to winning.

Quote:
“I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but a recognition of the role of American leadership” in the world, Obama said in remarks moments ago. “To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures” who won in the past, he added. “I will accept this award as a call to action, a call to all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st Century.”

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Too bad the story is an urban legend.
Yeah, I know, but it makes me feel less cheated about not getting the Nobel prize I otherwise so richly deserve.
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yo, Obama, I'm really happy for you, and I'm gonna to let you finish, but Beyonce made the best extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples of all time.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

Kanye West: "Obama Hates White People".

If he'd have gotten involved, nobody would've won because they're not up to Kanye's high standards.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Mr. Obama's response to winning.

Quote:
“I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but a recognition of the role of American leadership” in the world, Obama said in remarks moments ago. “To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures” who won in the past, he added. “I will accept this award as a call to action, a call to all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st Century.”
I can't fault that. That is a great response. It's good to see that he is aware of how absurd this is, but he still has the tact/sense to graciously accept the award and then pledge to do things worthy of the award.

Still whoever nominated him 2 weeks into office is a bonehead. The panel that awarded it to him were a bunch of boneheads. I'm all in favor of him getting it after putting in the work to earn it, but this? The Nobel prize panel really cheapened the award in a lot of people's eyes with this.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As was stated so well by dok, you clearly shouldn't give out an award to someone before something is actually accomplished. However, they sometimes do that with the Peace award.

It would be like someone getting a Nobel in Chemistry for a really awesome sounding idea, but haven't tested it yet.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:57 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
As was stated so well by dok, you clearly shouldn't give out an award to someone before something is actually accomplished. However, they sometimes do that with the Peace award.

It would be like someone getting a Nobel in Chemistry for a really awesome sounding idea, but haven't tested it yet.
Bingo! All the slappies who are so excited about the Obama victory now need to let history play itself out before declaring him the greatest leader of all time. It makes it harder for the non-slappies to take him seriously.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Calzone knows what's in an order marker Calzone knows what's in an order marker

When I heard about the award I had to ask myself, "How does Obama stack up vs. Mother Teresa?"

I'm glad he wants to work towards peace, but this seems a bit premature. Claiming that he'll ease tensions in the Middle East, claiming he wants to rid the world of nuclear weapons, and claiming to otherwise cure society of all ills is a lot different than those things actually being done.

Imagine if Mother Teresa had merely claimed she wanted to be an advocate for the poor, infirm, and helpless, instead of actually being one...

Mmm...Tasty.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM

Hal0fan117 is surprisingly tart

When I heard this I thought "Ok" and was pretty much over it.

I really don't see what the big deal is. Anyway, I've been in a hole the past few months, playing Orange Box and Halo ODST and other exciting FPS's so I'm sort of...out of it but...I mean really, they had to give it to somebody.

2013, Still alive.
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
When I heard about the award I had to ask myself, "How does Obama stack up vs. Mother Teresa?"

I'm glad he wants to work towards peace, but this seems a bit premature. Claiming that he'll ease tensions in the Middle East, claiming he wants to rid the world of nuclear weapons, and claiming to otherwise cure society of all ills is a lot different than those things actually being done.

Imagine if Mother Teresa had merely claimed she wanted to be an advocate for the poor, infirm, and helpless, instead of actually being one...
This isn't about Obama. It's about a Nobel Peace Prize committee trying to make a political point. Their political point isn't completely unnecessary. Bush did such a bad job, and Obama did such a good job of making people all around the world feel like things were going to get better.

That's pretty much it. Obama didn't ask for it, and he probably wishes that it happened at a different time or not at all.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old October 9th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Calzone knows what's in an order marker Calzone knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulp View Post
This isn't about Obama. It's about a Nobel Peace Prize committee trying to make a political point. Their political point isn't completely unnecessary. Bush did such a bad job, and Obama did such a good job of making people all around the world feel like things were going to get better.

That's pretty much it. Obama didn't ask for it, and he probably wishes that it happened at a different time or not at all.
I wasn't trying to insinuate that Obama was pulling strings to get himself nominated for a Nobel. I'm not a big fan of Obama, but that theory is a little silly.

I also think, however, that something that is supposed to herald great world-wide accomplishments towards peace shouldn't be thrown around like some political football. I do not believe that Obama has done enough at this time (and especially earlier in his term when he was nominated) to warrant an honor of this magnitude. Maybe in a couple years if things go well, sure, but now? I don't think it was worth compromising the value of the Prize for a jab at Bush.

When you replace merit with politics, everyone suffers.

Mmm...Tasty.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General