Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:29 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Superflu Pandemic has arrived

In honor of the recent hysteria, I've been inspired to read an old favorite of mine- The Stand by Stephen King. This got me thinking and I've decided to try to get you thinking as well.

So I posit two scenarios, the second leading up from the first:

Quote:
Swine Flu begins to spread faster than scientists could anticipate. It has already mutated into 100% lethality, airborne, extremely contagious. About 1 in 100,000 people are completely immune to the virus, including you. Within months, 99.999% of the human population -including, mostly likely, everyone you know- is dead. What do you do?
This is essentially the premise of The Stand and is interesting enough to get you thinking for awhile but, King being King, he takes it a step further and so I give you scenario 2:

Quote:
Regardless of what you do and assuming you make it so far, within a few weeks you begin having two strange, lucid dreams. In one is a kindly, 90-year-old woman from Nebraska assuring you that a higher power is at work and survivors are slowly congregating in Boulder, Colorado and she would very much like you to meet them there. The other is a terrifying man in black whose face is always masked in shadow. He never speaks, but somehow you always end up in Las Vegas- wealthy, respected, and powerful. The dreams persist, always one or the other, almost every night. What do you do?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:51 AM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Superflu Pandemic has arrived

Go to Boulder, hands down.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I counter act the deadly swine flu with its natural predator, the wolf flu and let mother nature's population control even things out...
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:41 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Hmmm...Boulder, definetly.

Also, about the swine flu: It has almost stopped in mexico,and according to a headline I read, officials in mexico are "cautisoly optimistic".Also, two different labs did simulations to see how many could get it in the US if no one did anything. They estimated that 1,700 would get it in the US, and thats the worst case scenario. Also, regular old flu kills 35,000 people a year, and only about 160 have died so far.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart101 View Post
Hmmm...Boulder, definetly.

Also, about the swine flu: It has almost stopped in mexico,and according to a headline I read, officials in mexico are "cautisoly optimistic".Also, two different labs did simulations to see how many could get it in the US if no one did anything. They estimated that 1,700 would get it in the US, and thats the worst case scenario. Also, regular old flu kills 35,000 people a year, and only about 160 have died so far.
Yes, I'm hoping this ends up being more of a "fire drill" than a real pandemic. I think it's been helpful for the countries of the world to take the precautions we have. Better that we notice the weak spots now so we'll be that much better prepared when the next threat hits.

That said, I've also read that now is not the time to be overly concerned. Something about the flu virus's protective coating makes it less able to survive in warmer months compared to colder months. Apparently this is why flu is seasonal. I've heard we may expect a resurgence of swine flu this fall as the weather gets colder.

(Oh, and I'm a little disappointed that this thread isn't about the release of the new Pandemic: On The Brink expansion. )
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:52 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Swine Flu begins to spread faster than scientists could anticipate. It has already mutated into 100% lethality, airborne, extremely contagious. About 1 in 100,000 people are completely immune to the virus, including you. Within months, 99.999% of the human population -including, mostly likely, everyone you know- is dead. What do you do?
Go to all dead friend's houses (and all game stores) and take their 'Scape stuff, building a giant 'scape board visible from space.

Then...uh...hm... complain to the video game companies that their stuff isn't released on time...

Finally, you know, it would be quite boring without anyone around.

Nukatha is Spartacus...
in THE SPARKLY CAVE
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM

Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby!

Swine Flu or first stages of a zombie plague? You make the call!

My Maps
Upcoming M.A.R.S. (Mid-Atlantic Regional 'Scapers - PA/MD/NJ) Events Thread
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM

cabbageheat is surprisingly tart

People die more in this country choking on beans, then the swine flu. 36K a year from the normal flu, so this recent craziness over something relatively tame is just ridiculous. Most who have died are the elderly, poor countries and children. Only what, 2 maybe in the U.S? One has to wonder...why all the craziness? Why keep beating this drum and overreacting? that's the real issue...
Old May 3rd, 2009, 06:18 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This isn't a thread about swine flu. It's just a cleverly-named thread to make you think it's about swine flu. Here's the original post.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbageheat View Post
People die more in this country choking on beans, then the swine flu. 36K a year from the normal flu, so this recent craziness over something relatively tame is just ridiculous. Most who have died are the elderly, poor countries and children. Only what, 2 maybe in the U.S? One has to wonder...why all the craziness? Why keep beating this drum and overreacting? that's the real issue...

Elderly? The news broadcast I just saw said no one over 50 has contracted it at all...

Does anyone know anyone that actually has it? or even know someone that knows someone? -- it might be one of those government outbreak experiements...
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:40 PM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker

If my family and myself made it, I'd go set up shop for a while in the Smithsonian. I'd finally have a chance to see all the exhibits if the power holds out for a few weeks.

Air and Space too. I've always wanted to crack the plastic shields on the Skylab 2 crew module and flush the toilet.

Then I'd go down to the Gulf Coast, find a nice hurricane proof house on high ground, set up a solar panel grid, nice windmill, and water purification system and listen to Boulder and Las Vegas fight it out via HAM radio.

If you want watch a film with a pretty good grasp on what it might be like....check this one out. Not as depressing as you would think.

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/screen/sfw14556.html

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.

Last edited by Purplebeard; May 3rd, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:03 PM

Poseidon's trident is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbageheat View Post
I know this isn't the official thread but I just wanted to say that you can't really underestimate these kinds of things. It's all over the news because they want to prevent people getting it because they don't have a cure for it. "An ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure"-Benjamin Franklin

Twas' a bad day when I almost quit Heroscape.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General