Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 19th, 2013, 06:57 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I agree that Prince Al'kahora and the other Knights don't get a whole lot, at present, from their current synergy.

--

However, thematically, it's very defensible and even helps to explain some things. Al'Kahora is not the prince, but he is A prince. Think more along the lines of Saudi Arabia or something like that, where there are many who are "Princes" but they aren't necessary high on the waiting list for the throne. Or even on the list at all. Al'Kahora has noble blood, but his family is not as wealthy as they make out to be and he serves as what passes for a "Knight" in the time and place he originates from.

All that to say, at the time and place in Arctorus' history that Al'kahora hails from, "knight" and "prince" are terms that aren't so precisely defined as we think of them (which isn't necessarily super-precise to begin with).

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old August 20th, 2013, 10:04 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

An update on my custom (previously posted here), the Druid Formerly Known As Verdana:

Spoiler Alert!

Thanks to obfuscatedhippo for playtesting her and making suggestions. The main changes are:

1) Removed "With The Green" movement power, replaced with "Vernal Step" which combines movement and self-healing. (Adapted from Swamp Thing.)
2) Ullar's Hope now boosts her attack and defense, and is (more appropriately) limited to Ullar figures.
3) Name change to "Nyssa." Why? Because searching for "Verdana" on this site will get you references to the font Verdana....

While she's still in a very terrain- and General-specific niche, I hope she has potential. Any thoughts on her?

Thanks for taking a look!
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sir Dendrik wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nyssa has a cool concept behind her, but there's a lot of words that basically seem to amount to Shotgun Sullivan with a few fringe benefits. Her cost seems to reflect her at her best, but in my opinion a weighted average of how useful he is with his required terrain and without would be more in order.

The card seems a little too cluttered with finicky powers for my taste. Vernal Step is a cool concept, as is Arboreal Command. It's Ullar's Hope that seems the most out of place to me.

A nice custom--I'd like to see the figure used for it to get a better sense of who the unit is.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:52 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Ullar's Hope
If Nyssa is adjacent to a tree or bush, she adds 1 to her attack and defense numbers. All friendly figures who follow Ullar and are also adjacent to that tree or bush roll 1 additional defense die when defending against a normal attack.
Nyssa is a great cheerleader for Ullar if there are any jungle or tree spaces on a map. You can Vernal Step her over to a tree and now if you are running a solid Ullar army that + 1 Defense can really help.

In my first playtest, I ran her with Eilan Sidhe and that combo made the 'Sidhe very tough. They bump to 4 Defense against normal attacks, and if they are being attacked from range while adjacent to a jungle piece they are 5 Defense. And one shield blocks all damage for Sidhe adjacent to a tree - so they were pretty tough. Same would go for Warriors of Ashra .. but those two melee units are going to have to leave tree cover to go after ranged attackers.

The Ullar's Hope was nice bump to Aubrien Archers in another playtest.

I'd say these are situations where Nyssa would be drafted. She is very terrain dependent.
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I agree that Prince Al'kahora and the other Knights don't get a whole lot, at present, from their current synergy.

--

However, thematically, it's very defensible and even helps to explain some things. Al'Kahora is not the prince, but he is A prince. Think more along the lines of Saudi Arabia or something like that, where there are many who are "Princes" but they aren't necessary high on the waiting list for the throne. Or even on the list at all. Al'Kahora has noble blood, but his family is not as wealthy as they make out to be and he serves as what passes for a "Knight" in the time and place he originates from.

All that to say, at the time and place in Arctorus' history that Al'kahora hails from, "knight" and "prince" are terms that aren't so precisely defined as we think of them (which isn't necessarily super-precise to begin with).
I guess, but again this is quite a lengthy explanation for something that would feel much more natural if you changed the class to Prince, or just dropped the Prince in Prince Al'Kahora.

I'm also uneasy now about your explanation of the theme... I didn't realize he was from Arctorus. Since he obviously has very heavy Arabic influences, why not just make him a historical unit? No reason to shoehorn him into Arctorus.
Old August 20th, 2013, 07:43 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Quote:

--

I guess, but again this is quite a lengthy explanation for something that would feel much more natural if you changed the class to Prince, or just dropped the Prince in Prince Al'Kahora.

I'm also uneasy now about your explanation of the theme... I didn't realize he was from Arctorus. Since he obviously has very heavy Arabic influences, why not just make him a historical unit? No reason to shoehorn him into Arctorus.
Do you have any historical Knight-Prince swordsman in mind?

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death! vegietarian18 is hot lava death!

I guess I meant historically styled... The Knights, Samurai, Cowboys, and all but one of the Gladiators are not based on real people but instead archetypes of what we view those different groups as. They may be based on real people but they do not lock themselves in to that one real person. I think that style would work well here.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:16 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I guess I meant historically styled... The Knights, Samurai, Cowboys, and all but one of the Gladiators are not based on real people but instead archetypes of what we view those different groups as. They may be based on real people but they do not lock themselves in to that one real person. I think that style would work well here.
I agree with that sentiment. I didn't realize he was from Arctorus either.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the less I care about whether he is a Prince or a Knight, since lots of lesser princes or even heirs were Knights. It's just kind of weird because Prince is already a class in the game, and it's in his name.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.

Last edited by greygnarl; August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:
Do you have any historical Knight-Prince swordsman in mind?
Would King Arthur .. who lead the Knights of the Roundtable be listed as Class: King or Class: Knight?

Generally a Knight is "dubbed" with that title by a Noble - Baron/Baroness up to Prince/Princess and King/Queen .. so being a Knight means that you serve a noble or a cause, where being a Prince could mean that you are the cause being served : )

Samurai could be considered the Eastern version of a Knight. I'm not up on my Arabic equivalent but I think Heroscape is pulling "Knight" from Western European history.

If you are going with Knights of Arctorus - I guess that can be defined in the Bio.
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:45 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Arctorus is the C3V's world right? Which character comes from there, Siiv?

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is the Venoc Warlord...
in THE ORPHANAGE
Old August 20th, 2013, 08:49 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
Arctorus is the C3V's world right? Which character comes from there, Siiv?
Yeah it's supposed to be steampunk, with room for other things that don't fit on the core worlds.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old August 20th, 2013, 09:27 PM

Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Would King Arthur .. who lead the Knights of the Roundtable be listed as Class: King or Class: Knight?
Arthur would be a King.
Quote:
Generally a Knight is "dubbed" with that title by a Noble - Baron/Baroness up to Prince/Princess and King/Queen .. so being a Knight means that you serve a noble or a cause, where being a Prince could mean that you are the cause being served : )

Samurai could be considered the Eastern version of a Knight. I'm not up on my Arabic equivalent but I think Heroscape is pulling "Knight" from Western European history.

If you are going with Knights of Arctorus - I guess that can be defined in the Bio.
What you are toying with here is two definitions of knight. 1) Knight as in a minor noble serving a baron/duke/king 2) Knight as in a professional heavy armed warrior. Heroscape certainly has both. 1) Sir Denrick, Sir Hawthorne, and Sir Dupius 2) Phantom Knights and Death Knights (or does someone think that these undead warriors are minor nobles?)

I could go either way with the specific argument for Prince Al'kahora. On one hand he has Prince in his name therefore he should be classed as a Prince, right? On the other hand Empress Kiova is classed as a Warrior. From a gameplay aspect the benefit of Knight over Prince is minor.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards