Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News
AotP News Sightings, official news, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #25  
Old March 1st, 2016, 08:51 AM
Kajoq Kajoq is offline
 
Join Date: August 31, 2015
Location: USA - GA - Atlanta
Posts: 209
Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Another rules thing I'd love to see in this box would be some clear rules on how to have multiple Planeswalkers controlled by 1 player. So far the easiest way to handle it seems to be just have 2 separate decks/hands and play as if it's a 4p 2v2, which is a little cumbersome.

In general just rules cleanup...
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:10 PM
Nukatha's Avatar
Nukatha Nukatha is offline
Most Effort : Least Points
 
Join Date: August 24, 2007
Location: Scans cannot detect User Location...
Posts: 2,798
Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
Random musing: It occurs to me that this is the first Magic game where a Planeswalker can actually walk across a plain.
False.

The 1997 M:TG PC game lets you roam Shandalar!
Well, first non-electronic game.

No Glyphs, Deathreavers ONLY, Table of the Giants


Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old March 1st, 2016, 12:42 PM
mcmeeple's Avatar
mcmeeple mcmeeple is offline
 
Join Date: January 12, 2016
Location: USA - MO - St. Louis
Posts: 296
Images: 46
mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post

I wasn't involved in heroscape when it was released, but didn't it take them a bit to dedicate resources to expanding it too? RotV september/2004? First expansion january 2005? First terrain expansion september/2005? Looks pretty similar to what we are seeing now.
I believe in 2005 (following the initial 2004 release) we had:
- 3 small expansions (each containing 4 packs of units)
- 1 large figure expansion
- 2 terrain expansions (roads and lava)

It appears AoTP is pacing slower. However, I do agree with your sentiment that I am grateful for what is happening and optimistic that the production machine appears to be ramping up.

If they actual release terrain packs I imagine they will be sold out quickly from all the heroscape nuts alone. (me included). Terrain packs designed for AoTP but suitable for classic scape seems like such an obvious win-win...I hope they make it happen.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old March 1st, 2016, 01:13 PM
Colorcrayons's Avatar
Colorcrayons Colorcrayons is offline
 
Join Date: March 7, 2012
Location: USA - MN - Minneapolis
Posts: 207
Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby! Colorcrayons rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post

I wasn't involved in heroscape when it was released, but didn't it take them a bit to dedicate resources to expanding it too? RotV september/2004? First expansion january 2005? First terrain expansion september/2005? Looks pretty similar to what we are seeing now.
I believe in 2005 (following the initial 2004 release) we had:
- 3 small expansions (each containing 4 packs of units)
- 1 large figure expansion
- 2 terrain expansions (roads and lava)

It appears AoTP is pacing slower. However, I do agree with your sentiment that I am grateful for what is happening and optimistic that the production machine appears to be ramping up.

If they actual release terrain packs I imagine they will be sold out quickly from all the heroscape nuts alone. (me included). Terrain packs designed for AoTP but suitable for classic scape seems like such an obvious win-win...I hope they make it happen.
Ahh I see. Thanks for that. So while it is in fact a bit slower with less content, the schedule is similar.

I think the single main reason why there is such a large outcry for more content not only being wanted, but in fact NEEDED, is because of color specificity. You could stick to one faction in heroscape, but it wasn't required like it is in AotP. You need a multicolored planeswalker in order to go outside of your mana color.

So because of that, each player has only 3 units currently to use, unlike heroscape where each player had a couple dozen by this point for their choices.

The color specificity has bitten Hasbro in ass without more content or rules to allow a freer flowing army build.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old March 1st, 2016, 01:52 PM
mcmeeple's Avatar
mcmeeple mcmeeple is offline
 
Join Date: January 12, 2016
Location: USA - MO - St. Louis
Posts: 296
Images: 46
mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorcrayons View Post

I think the single main reason why there is such a large outcry for more content not only being wanted, but in fact NEEDED, is because of color specificity. You could stick to one faction in heroscape, but it wasn't required like it is in AotP. You need a multicolored planeswalker in order to go outside of your mana color.

So because of that, each player has only 3 units currently to use, unlike heroscape where each player had a couple dozen by this point for their choices.

The color specificity has bitten Hasbro in ass without more content or rules to allow a freer flowing army build.
Totally agree. The color limitation means you have pretty much 5 army configs to choose from...leading to very little in the way of variety.

Perhaps as you mentioned though they plan to under promise and over deliver in regards to the timeline.

Does anyone else wonder what "twisted terrain" means in that image? What terrain type might that be? Some kind of wasteland? I am not familiar with Mtg lore to make an intelligent interpretation.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old March 1st, 2016, 02:12 PM
Kajoq Kajoq is offline
 
Join Date: August 31, 2015
Location: USA - GA - Atlanta
Posts: 209
Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

If we're lucky we get a plastic LOS blocker (tangled tree?)

The new plane is Innistrad which is basically horror movie Vampires/Werewolves/Zombies/Townsfolk. So grim and dark rocky, graveyard type terrain. Maybe we'll even see a return of the elusive 'Shadow' tiles from BftU.

I'm just praying it includes 24 tile pieces and doesn't rely on the jigsaw pieces for the base. The aesthetic suffers a lot compared to using only HS tiles
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old March 1st, 2016, 02:40 PM
mcmeeple's Avatar
mcmeeple mcmeeple is offline
 
Join Date: January 12, 2016
Location: USA - MO - St. Louis
Posts: 296
Images: 46
mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
If we're lucky we get a plastic LOS blocker (tangled tree?)

The new plane is Innistrad which is basically horror movie Vampires/Werewolves/Zombies/Townsfolk. So grim and dark rocky, graveyard type terrain. Maybe we'll even see a return of the elusive 'Shadow' tiles from BftU.

I'm just praying it includes 24 tile pieces and doesn't rely on the jigsaw pieces for the base. The aesthetic suffers a lot compared to using only HS tiles
It seems there are two things to hope for:
- real terrain instead of cardboard
- real LOS objects instead of cardboard silliness

I could live with more cardboard terrain. They take up little storage space and quickly cover a huge table leaving more terrain to build upwards!

Getting real, quality objects seems so much more important. Instead of janky cardboard ruins, nice plastic ones like classic scape.

The theme sounds awesome and oozing with possibilities!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:21 PM
GamerDad74 GamerDad74 is offline
 
Join Date: March 18, 2015
Location: USA - IN - Granger
Posts: 7
GamerDad74 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

"Now they have announced not only an expansion, but if rumors are to be beleived, it will be a standalone game that likely could replace what we know of as the core box with this due to common squads and dual colored planeswalkers, among other reasons."

What do you mean "replace what we know of the core box"?

I'm a huge fan of the Eldrazi--would love to see another big baddie or squad(s)--kind of like the Marro.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old March 1st, 2016, 05:33 PM
Kajoq Kajoq is offline
 
Join Date: August 31, 2015
Location: USA - GA - Atlanta
Posts: 209
Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerDad74 View Post

What do you mean "replace what we know of the core box"?

I'm a huge fan of the Eldrazi--would love to see another big baddie or squad(s)--kind of like the Marro.
I believe what he means is that it could be it's own standalone Box as opposed to an expansion. Similar to how both RoTV and SoTM for regular Heroscape were standalone boxes that still could be played together. It seems likely the the Innistrad box could come with 4 (or more likely 5) planeswalkers + 2 common squads for each, and 1-2 colorless squads/heroes
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old March 1st, 2016, 06:04 PM
GamerDad74 GamerDad74 is offline
 
Join Date: March 18, 2015
Location: USA - IN - Granger
Posts: 7
GamerDad74 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Thanks. That's what I had heard previously but the language of "replace" threw me off. Standalone/alongside makes it clearer.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:40 AM
Nukatha's Avatar
Nukatha Nukatha is offline
Most Effort : Least Points
 
Join Date: August 24, 2007
Location: Scans cannot detect User Location...
Posts: 2,798
Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nukatha wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

If only they had it on display at Toy Fair and we had an inside man get a low-res picture of all the figures on a shelf.

No Glyphs, Deathreavers ONLY, Table of the Giants


Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:00 AM
mcmeeple's Avatar
mcmeeple mcmeeple is offline
 
Join Date: January 12, 2016
Location: USA - MO - St. Louis
Posts: 296
Images: 46
mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby! mcmeeple rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hasbro announces 'Shadows Over Innistrad' for 'Arena of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukatha View Post
If only they had it on display at Toy Fair and we had an inside man get a low-res picture of all the figures on a shelf.
wow, those were the days. it's funny, I am excited about the new AoTP stuff, and I look forward to any previews of it. But I don't have the same anticipation I did back in the day with the new Heroscape stuff rolling out.

One would think that in this age of promotion and social media that the game companies would do a better job teasing out what is coming. The fan base is so hungry for it and it would only help to string us along.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cf's Innistrad Set Conversion: Wave 2 *11/24* Confred AotP Blender 5 April 25th, 2016 11:28 PM
FFG Announces Starwars License ScottManDeath HeroScape News 7 September 2nd, 2011 04:09 AM
Syd Shadows Terrain Syd Shadows Custom Terrain & Obstacles 4 November 24th, 2010 10:25 PM
The Shadows Thicken Takanuva Fan Art & Fiction 8 April 9th, 2010 08:26 PM
WotC Announces New Classic Scape (April Fools!) SuperflyTNT HeroScape News 65 April 2nd, 2010 02:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Heroscape background footer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.