Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old February 5th, 2008, 12:42 PM

SmoG Woo who?
Arrested Development: Could it work as a movie?

I read a couple of articles in the past week saying that there were talks in the works to ressurect the show as a movie. I have mixed feelings. On the one hand any more Arrested at this point seems like a Gift from On High, and I will surely watch/buy whatever comes out. But there are 2 problems with an AD movie.

1) Because of the comedy style, people will miss a lot of the humor on the first run. AD fans are used to this and will go more than once, but new people will just see it as "not funny" or "I didn't get it" and poor word of mouth will cause the movie to flop.

2) After 2-3 years off, the writing staff will have lost it's step and like the recent Futurama* Movie, the comedy wont be up to par, or the format will seem off.

*I LOVE Bender's Big Score, don't get me wrong, It just wasn't as good as it could have been, something about the feature length format and some of the jokes...

Old February 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I don't think it would work that well as a movie, and even if it somehow did manage to maintain it's pacing ove r along format, I think it would be a flop given the relatively poor ratings for the TV show.

I would relish any new AD at all, but I'd rather see the show rought back as a cable series, where they expect smaller ratings and can get away with more out-there plotlines and quirky niche shows...plus cable series tend to have much shorter seasons and often come on in summer when there is less competition. I think this show would be fantastic on HBO or Showtime.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:45 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia.

My point... AD was a great show. Loved it. Bought the DVDs just to finish watching it when I couldn't stand to wait for MSN to keep 'em coming.

However, I think that instead of trying to resurrect AD that the writers and producers could try their hand at another project and see what develops. In the meantime, there are other shows on that deserve our attention. The afore-mentioned IASiP, for one. 30 Rock ain't so bad (Will you take this ring, go to the Jewish part of town and get us money for a Nintendo Wii?), etc.

Or am I just blowing my own horn, vigorously and repeatedly?

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old February 5th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Ted_Danson is surprisingly tart
I'm pretty sure the movie is on, Jason Bateman said negotiations will start as soon as the strike is over, and everyone is on board.

I don't really know if it will work as a movie, but I'll be there to watch it. It will still be funny, and Tobias will still be a closet case, and that's all I need.

Also, I'm not to sure about other projects at this point, because "You, Me, and Dupree" was by the Russo brothers, huge AD directors/contributors, and it was dumb.

Huggable Zombie, KingArthur1976, Utgarsrage, and Scapegeek are all great traders.
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:23 PM
This week: Joah 2 Nwojedi 0

Joah has disabled reputation
I'm there. Whatever happens, sign me up.

Old February 6th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Joah, great pic. I love Bret.

Huggable Zombie, KingArthur1976, Utgarsrage, and Scapegeek are all great traders.
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:50 PM
has been BANNED

I don't like Philly, and I'm kinda iffy on 30 Rock. I feel like it's not as good as it should be, ya know?
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:24 AM

'Scaper Zeta Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is such a good show, however it probaly shouldn't be viewed by those children type people.
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Dude, 30 Rock is the way. The current season is amazing.

Old February 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Danson
Dude, 30 Rock is the way. The current season is amazing.
Meh....I'm a few eps behind and need to catch up, but I still feel like its not living up to its potential. Like it should be "gut-bustingly funny" but is merely "funny." It's a show that I don't care much about missing and don't feel the need to quickly watch recorded eps of.
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Meesa sooo smilen to see'en yousa

Menchy is surprisingly tart
Re: Arrested Development: Could it work as a movie?

A bit of a random ressurection, but meh.

I feel like the AD movie is either going to be hilariously amazing or absolutely terrible. Either way, I'll probably see it more than once. Arrested is one of the best television shows ever created, and I have faith that whatever they do produce most likely wont be complete farce, I just hope it lives up to it's potential.

Oh, and as confirmed in Entertainment Weekly this week, '"In fact, star Jeffrey Tambor told EW last month that 'we are indeed doing' the film, but a script hasn't yet been written."' (EW issue #1002)

"Somewhere over the rainbow, there's another rainbow." ~Tobias Funke, Arrested Development

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media