Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old October 25th, 2008, 01:28 PM

nbxfan has disabled reputation
Suggestions for exchanging unopened game

During last weeks B2G1 free sale at TRU, I went in and, with a sparce selection, asked the Sales Person if I could preorder a couple games coming out this week as part of the sale. He said no but, recommended buying a couple of games and as long as I didn't open them, I could bring them back within 45 days and exchange them which, effectively meant, that I could bring them back this week and pick up the games that I wanted. So, I go back in Tuesday to exchange one of the multiple copies of Dead Space I bought only to be told I couldn't exchange it because it was apart of a sale. I could get a refund if I returned all the games but, had already opened the other copy of Dead Space which means I can't return it. I talked with the manager for a half hour explaining what happened, what I was told, and the lack of any material stating that games purchased during a sale couldn't be exchanged...in fact the return policy is clearly printed on the back of the receipt...and he still said no. So, I called the customer relations number and, finally yesterday got a response back that said it is up to the store manager and that the policy he is going by is correct.

Basically from this...I now have an unopened copy of Dead Space that I can't do anything with because as far as I know, no one will let me exchange a game without a receipt. I tried game stop/eb games, and they'd give me $28 in trade in credit...Target won't take anything back over $30 without a receipt. I am looking for suggestions as I really don't know what to do. Would be happy at this point to break even at $43.50 which is what I paid for it. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

We're on the right trail. Flies and the undead go together like bullets and guns.
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker
Re: Suggestions for exchanging unopened game

Step 1 is to try another TRU if there's one nearby.

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old October 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
They are few and far between but, as it is Saturday, went out to a different one and 30 seconds later walked out with Credit which is fine. Will now wait a couple weeks for GOW2 or Resistance 2.

We're on the right trail. Flies and the undead go together like bullets and guns.
Old October 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker Phaethon knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbxfan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaethon View Post
They are few and far between but, as it is Saturday, went out to a different one and 30 seconds later walked out with Credit which is fine. Will now wait a couple weeks for GOW2 or Resistance 2.
Glad it worked...

I've noticed that whenever I've had a problem like this (personality driven issues as opposed to store policy), I almost always have luck by going to another store.

Never trust kids when they ask "Hey dad, can I borrow the car???"
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:12 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbxfan View Post
. He said no but, recommended buying a couple of games and as long as I didn't open them, I could bring them back within 45 days and exchange them...
Even though it works, you aren't supposed to do that. That guy would probably get in some trouble if corporate found out he was telling customers that.

Wal Mart will take almost anything back for store credit as long as they stock it.

Worst Buy will but they can get a little grumpy about it.

I've had good luck with Costco, too.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:29 PM

I guess I can see why you shouldn't be able to do it. I am not a regular TRU shopper and figured if I was direct about what I was planning to do and they said it was fine, I didn't see it as being an issue. You would think the store employees would no what is kosher or not. At the same time, I don't know what the big deal is. I still paid a given amount for 3 brand new games that had just been released, and they still made their money, so who cares what it is for. Had Fable II been on the shelf when I went in originally Tuesday, I already know it would have been done. But, as it was still in a box somewhere in the back, someone asked someone else and that is when it became a thing.

Had I not been given the suggestion from there employee, I likely wouldn't have thought of doing so, I would have walked out and just waited for specials from other stores. As it is, Fry's has put out Far Cry 2 at $52 and likely with as hyped as GOW and R2 are, I'm sure there will be deals for these. Without some fantastic deal in the future from TRU and as they aren't carrying Heroscape anymore, I won't be shopping there. Kind of weak customer service when they are next door to gamestop, Target and Best Buy...

I know you can exchange stuff so many times at BB without a receipt but, i don't know how often. I've been upgrading my DVD collection to Blu-Ray and made a series of exchanges for unopened DVD's for Blu's but, on my last trip to do so, they said I was past my limit. I don't know what time frame this is for...like a month...a half-year etc. But, they do track it by your I.D.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General