Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old November 17th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby! Vydar is the man rolls all skulls baby!
Are the elves tournament worthy?

Even though I support Vydar I find myself useing the elves more and more. So I ask you this... Do you think the elves (and anything to work with them) worthy for tourniments?

Last edited by Vydar is the man; November 18th, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Are the elves tourniment worthy?

That depends. If you are talking about an all Elf army, than no, I personally don't belive that they are tourny worthy. Its a very tricky thing to pull off. Not saying its not fun, it just won't win a tourny.

Now adding an elf or 2 to an army of non-elves is fine. I've feilded Sonlen in two of my tourny armies thus far.

72 tournaments. 173 - 142 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

My goal, play every official 'scape unit in a tournament at least once. 149 down, 55 to go!
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:58 PM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

Tournaments*

No, I really don't like the elves; unless ofcourse your talking about Syvvaris, Aubrien Archers, Morsbane, ect.

All the new elves that use all that synergy are just to weak; I know Syvvaris has 2D and 4 life but his range makes him harder to kill. All these other elves have 2D and 6 life with only average range. Even worse is that when they start dying the others that are still alive become much worse; you need to invest at least 340 (IMO) to make them worth anything, and even then its not worth the 340 you spent. (340 is the 2 fire throwers and Ulginesh.) I find that they are not durable at all, and Johnny shotgun or other splash attacks kill them in most games I play.

Only Ulginesh gets lucky some times because he is a ranged flyer, but that is very situational.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The elves are a tournament army if your are willing to play it in a way where you must think on how you can set up "power plays". These are when you can remove the power from the opponent and allow your units to unleash barrages of wound inflicting attacks. Ulginesh, Emiroon, Jordhawn, Arkmer, and maybe Chardris make this a combo worth using. Because Emrioon can summon elves into positions for "power plays", Ulginesh will give you the ability to maximize your "power play", Arkmer will allow you a defensive move to keep the elves alive, and Jordhawn and Chardris are the ones you turn the "power play" into killing sprees. But it takes alot of chess type playing of the game in the strategy of setting up opponents to defeat them.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." ~Albert Einstein

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old November 17th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Elves just took second at a casual, Marvel-allowed eight man tourney here in Nashville. Not the Grand Elf Army, but one incorporating Acolarh and Sonlen with plenty of WoA for extra unkillability.

~Aldin, pretty sure that even if unkillability isn't a word, it should be

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:01 PM

Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker

I don't think the elves are tournament ready yet - in fact, they still have a ways to go. Sonlen and the Aubrien Archers are the only elves I would give serious consideration to put in an army. Those two are the only elves that are reliable enough to see tournament play, in my opinion.
But besides those two exceptions? Definately not (unless you're good and want to surprise someone), in my opinion. Before the elvish wizards, not a lot of people used the elves in tournaments, and that still hasn't changed. The problem with the Elf Wizard army is that if one or two of the elves in that army die, you might as well throw in the towel right there. They're too reliant on each other to be any threat once one or two elf wizards hit the dirt. Without Emiroon, you're going to have a difficult time moving your elves. Without Johrdawn, Chradis, and/or Arkmer, you lack the ability to actually hit your opponent for any decent damage. Without Uglinesh, well... that isn't a pretty picture.

Bloody the Marro Stinger is the Chimeran Ravager in the....
KEEP OF THE NECRONOMICON
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I agree with what has been said so far with the exception of one thing: don't forget the Warriors of Ashra. I've seen those girls come through and they've come through for me.

As for the wizards, I doubt they'll be tournament worthy. The rest of the elves have a chance though.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:11 PM

The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker The Silver Surfer knows what's in an order marker

I haven't played it yet, but using the yo-yo strategy of Ulginesh, Emeroon, and Arkmer, and then building a non-elf wizard army around that sounds pretty good too me. One 600 point army I thought of is

Elves, Wolves, and a Symbiote

Ulginesh 150
Arkmer 200
Emeroon 280
Wolves of Badru x2 440
Venom 590
Isamu or Otanashi 600

Use the yo-yo strategy, and then simply use Venom and the Wolves to tie enemies down and keep them away from the Elves.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast"
Ephesians 2:8-9

"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" Acts 16:31

PM me if you would like to know more.
Old November 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

No. You can try, but you'll likely fail. All elves suffer from the same problem. Their defense is too low to be very reliable with their average offense.

But not all games are in tournaments. Play them. Practice with them. Maybe you'll surprise someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Sure they're tournament worthy. If you like them and enjoy playing them, bring them. That's the criteria I use when selecting an army to bring.

If you're talking about are the Elves likely to win a tourney, then I'm not sure. I think I've only seen them once so far (at a tourney) since their release, not enough data to support if they're worthy (or the opposite) IMO.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14

Last edited by nyys; November 18th, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old November 18th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I agree that some elves (Sonlen, Syvarris, Aubriens, WoAs, and maybe Acolarh) can find a place in a tournament army. The elven wizards, though, are simply too expensive, unreliable, and weak to function well in a competitive setting.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

Elves are a mixed bag. What the Rev said about the wizards. We might get lucky and get a ninth that makes it all work but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles