Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old September 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: Harry Potter Scape Custom Project Thread

The Goblet of Fire also introduced:
Goblins
Fluffy (3 headed dog)
Prof. Quirrel
Flying keys
Troll
Old September 28th, 2012, 07:54 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Goblins
Fluffy (3 headed dog)
Prof. Quirrel
Flying keys
Troll
You mean the Philosipher's Stone.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 29th, 2012, 12:01 AM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Goblins
Fluffy (3 headed dog)
Prof. Quirrel
Flying keys
Troll
You mean the Philosipher's Stone.

The Sorcerer's Stone. (American Edition)
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:45 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Wanted to show you all what I've been working on for a custom card design. Constructive feedback is welcome.

Notes: House affiliation shown with watermark in the abilities area. Characters that do not have a Hogwarts house affiliation will have a watermark representing the group they are identified with. If no group affiliation, then a generic Harry Potter theme watermark will be used.
If the group decides to use symbols, they will be located either in the space between the ability text, image and MRAD stats or below the MRAD stats.

The card design is the Harry Potter from the Heroes of Fiction Design Group.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:26 AM

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

mac already knows, but I am of the opinion that this card design is super sweet.

I'm all for the watermarks - those are really cool. We just need an Apparate symbol and I think we're set there.

Haven't had anymore applicants yet.... should we just get started designing a card? That might draw more people to the thread if it starts getting some buzz, and then someone sees mac's sick card design...

I like Ron, but I guess Harry is probably the one to design first.....

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Wondering if we should discuss symbols a bit more before we go too far - how many and what will they be. My experience with the HoSS group shows the benefit of getting these all sorted out ahead of time. I'm not opposed to symbols for commonly used powers, but the number should be very limited to keep the complexity down. We also need to be careful with the space gained by using symbols - we don't need to fill the card of every character.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:19 AM

I really like the card design also.

My only (small) complaint is that the parchment areas look kind of blocky (too square). I'd like to see what it looks like with the parchment areas conforming to the hex card (leaving just a 1/4" brown border). But if that's too much work, the card still looks awesome.

One other thing--if possible, I'd like the name "HARRY POTTER" and the faction to be centered on the card. Right now it's not left justified, but it's not quite to the center.

Overall, it just looks stunning.

Quote:
Haven't had anymore applicants yet.... should we just get started designing a card? That might draw more people to the thread if it starts getting some buzz, and then someone sees mac's sick card design...

I like Ron, but I guess Harry is probably the one to design first.....
I think we should just get started. More people may come as the cards start to get designed.

One question. The Star Wars group has two versions of Luke: a farmboy Luke and a Jedi Luke. Should we have more than one version of Harry Potter (a young and an old)? Or should we just design Harry as he stands at the end of the books?

Another question.
I was thinking about Dementors and how they are only harmed by the Patronis charm. Either 1) we make the Dementors affected by other spells as well (and maybe they can't roll any defense dice versus the Patronis charm). Or 2) we must give Harry and some other wizards the Patronis charm as one of their spells.

This got me thinking about spells. One unique thing about the wizards is that they can cast several different spells. So I went back and looked at lamaclown's "A Look at the Masters" thread, which led me to Netherspirit's customs thread:
Netherspirit's customs

If you go to Netherspirit's customs thread and scroll down to 7-15-06, you'll see a wizard with two extra spellbook cards that are included when you draft her card. Also, under the "Older Units" section, he started some spell cards.

So I was thinking: do we want to limit the wizard to a single card? Or do we want to allow them spellbooks with one or two additional cards (maybe 3 or 4 spells)? (Or list their spells in a spellbook on their main card and make spell cards that any wizard with that spell in their spellbook can use?)

This is an opportunity to think outside the box. Maybe we can start by trying to limit them to a single card, but I think adding a spellbook is at least something we should consider.
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Wondering if we should discuss symbols a bit more before we go too far - how many and what will they be. My experience with the HoSS group shows the benefit of getting these all sorted out ahead of time. I'm not opposed to symbols for commonly used powers, but the number should be very limited to keep the complexity down. We also need to be careful with the space gained by using symbols - we don't need to fill the card of every character.
The only symbol I care for is the Apparate symbol. It's true that most witches and wizards can cast the basic spells, but I think those can be incorporated into their stats unless they're somewhat of a "trademark". For instance, I'd say that Harry uses Expelliarmus and Expecto Patronum enough that those are his "trademark" spells. He probably performs them better than most wizards, and therefore he should get an ability for them. Bellatrix Lestrange should probably get one for Crucio. I wouldn't mind giving Ginny Weasley the Bat-Bogey Hex. But I don't think we need symbols for any spell except Apparition, because it so drastically affects movement.

Anyone agree? Disagree? Any other powers that you think are common enough to be turned into symbols?

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:42 AM

Different versions of the character are the way to gw, IMO. Trying to represent Harry from first year student to the powerful wizard.he became would be impossible on a single card.

I would like to see us design each character with 1-3 thematic powers/spells. Instead spell, I think spell glyphs, like C3G's equipment glyphs would be the way to go. A simple ability power could be written to allow characters to equip themselves with different spells at the start of the game. I think this would help keep our designs more consistent and mixable with classic Scape. There are so many creatures in Classic that would fit right into.the world of Harry Potter.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:48 AM

I'm OK with different versions of the characters - gonna be even tougher to find minis, though.

As for Spellbooks, it's a cool idea. I actually did the same thing with my Final Fantasy IV customs. Check out the link in my sig if you like - I never posted the Magic Chart, but it's the same as nether's Spellbook. The Magic Chart was just a collaboration of Special Attacks and Powers that were broken down by leve, and there was a separate chart for White and Black Magic. Each character that could use it had an ability called "Black Magic Level 3" or something, denoting that they could use any spell on the Black Magic Chart level 3 or below. It's definitely something we could mess with.

As for Dementors only being vulnerable to the Patronus Charm, that's just not true. Actually, they aren't even harmed by it - it just blocks them and drives them away. Harry even got a zero on a 6th year DADA essay from Snape because he "disagreed with Snape on the best way to fight off dementors". They can be fought differently, but I think the Expecto Patronum ability should definitely screw with Dementors somehow.

I actually kind of like the Magic Chart / Spellbook idea. I kicked it around at the beginning and wasn't going to do it, but maybe we should? If we want to, it could even be split into Years (like, a First Year could only do certain spells, all the way up to 7th year). We could then just make a power for that (Magic Knowledge: First Year or something), or a symbol. If we want to do that, it should probably be the first thing we design.

Magic Chart / Spellbook breakdown

1st - 4th Year
OWL
NEWT
Dark Magic

If we wanted to get really technical, it could be further divided into stuff like Charms, Transfiguration, Hexes, Jinxes, Curses, Counter-curses. I don't know how far we need to go, though.

KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:46 PM

I'm just a junior member, here, but I would be opposed to creating reference charts for in-game use. That's not what Scape is all about - to me at least. One of my favorite Scape quotes is: "It's a game, not a simulation". I don't think we need to try to represent every aspect of a character, but rather pick out the most thematic. When you start down that road, you are making a stand alone game system. As an optional rule set, no problem. I'd really like to the cards be easy to use with other Scape. Harry, Obi-wan Kenobi, and Drake.take on the evil forces of Utgar.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
I would like to see us design each character with 1-3 thematic powers/spells. Instead spell, I think spell glyphs, like C3G's equipment glyphs would be the way to go. A simple ability power could be written to allow characters to equip themselves with different spells at the start of the game.
Spell Glyph Powers
I like the idea of spell glyphs with powers such as:

Harry's 1st Year Spellbook
At the beginning of the game, you may attach up to 3 first year spell glyphs to this army card.

We could have a special rule:
When selecting spell glyphs at the start of the game, place them symbol side up next to your card. When using a spell glyph, you must turn it spell side up.

This way, the spells you chose remain secret from your opponent until you actually use them.

Or we can just allow them to use any spells:

1st Year Spellbook
Harry may use any first year spell glyphs.

Spell Glyphs More Specific
Or we can be more specific:

Harry 1st Year's Spellbook
At the beginning of the game, you may attach up to 3 first year Charms, Jinx, or Counter-Spell spell glyphs to this army card.

Or:
Harry 1st Year's Spellbook
Harry may use any first year Charms, Jinx, or Counter-Spell spell glyph.

This might be a little too much, but it adds more flavor.

Spell Glyphs
The only problem I see with spell glyphs is that the glyph card will be used a LOT more than normal glyph cards--you'll pretty much need it next to your figure for reference. But I still think this is a pretty clean way to go.

Spell Books
Note that having spellbooks would not necessarily make these card incompatible with normal Heroscape. It's just a new rule, and if one of the card powers references the spellbook then it's just part of the power. Some people might not like it, but it doesn't mean it's incompatible.

Quote:
I'm OK with different versions of the characters - gonna be even tougher to find minis, though.

As for Spellbooks, it's a cool idea. I actually did the same thing with my Final Fantasy IV customs. Check out the link in my sig if you like - I never posted the Magic Chart, but it's the same as nether's Spellbook. The Magic Chart was just a collaboration of Special Attacks and Powers that were broken down by leve, and there was a separate chart for White and Black Magic. Each character that could use it had an ability called "Black Magic Level 3" or something, denoting that they could use any spell on the Black Magic Chart level 3 or below. It's definitely something we could mess with.

As for Dementors only being vulnerable to the Patronus Charm, that's just not true. Actually, they aren't even harmed by it - it just blocks them and drives them away. Harry even got a zero on a 6th year DADA essay from Snape because he "disagreed with Snape on the best way to fight off dementors". They can be fought differently, but I think the Expecto Patronum ability should definitely screw with Dementors somehow.
OK, I definitely need to consult my kids before posting--I'd completely forgotten about Harry's zero on his dementors essay.

I'm leaning towards the spell glyph idea based on the grade/power level of the figure and possible on the types of magic they can use.

Playtesting might be more difficult if Harry has to choose an initial set of glyphs from a larger pool of options.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum