Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

View Poll Results: What size should the revised edition of the Battle Cards be?
No change to the size, just update the content. 1 7.69%
No change to the size, just create a graphic for the card back. 2 15.38%
No change to the size, just add extra content to the back of the card. 0 0%
No change to the size, just change the card layout to Landscape. 2 15.38%
Change the size to a 3"x5" rectangle - Front & Back. 4 30.77%
Change the size to a 5"x5" square - Front & Back. 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 30th, 2008, 10:46 PM

HeroscapeLunatic has disabled reputation
Question Battle Cards ver. 2.0 - Sample Now Available!

As I am constantly looking for ways to improve upon the content of the Omnibus, I thought I would take this time to get the supporters' opinion on the upcoming revision to the Battle Cards.

For those of you unfamiliar with the Battle Cards, here is a brief description:

Battle Cards are currently trading-card sized Army Cards representing every hero/squad in Heroscape. Each card comes complete with card stats and photo as found on their official counterparts produced by Hasbro. What makes the Battle Cards different and stand out apart from the original Army Cards, is that they are rectangular in shape and make for easy storage and travel.

My question for this thread is to determine the size that will be used for the revised cards.

Based on the new size (or same size if chosen) the layout will get a facelift with improved graphics, as well as additions of unit hitzones and clarifications and or synergies.

5"x5" Card Front & Back

Last edited by HeroscapeLunatic; May 14th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:17 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HS Omnibus - The future of Battle Cards

Can we see the cards, both choices, next a normal army card for illustrative purposes?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestuff View Post
Can we see the cards, both choices, next a normal army card for illustrative purposes?
I knew somebody was going to ask that.

After this Saturday I will begin creating mock-ups for each of the sizes so that players get a feel for what the cards will look like. They won't be anywhere near complete, just extremely rough drafts with mostly text showing where placement will be.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
C3G Hero

whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun whitestuff is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroscapeLunatic View Post
I knew somebody was going to ask that.
Glad to be of service .
Old May 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
After this Saturday I will begin creating mock-ups for each of the sizes so that players get a feel for what the cards will look like. They won't be anywhere near complete, just extremely rough drafts with mostly text showing where placement will be.
So, it's after Saturday. Where are they?! J/K

I made a backing for normal card shaped cards as I have thought about doing my customs that way.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!

Last edited by robbdaman; May 8th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Quote:
So, it's after Saturday. Where are they?! J/K

R~
After Saturday entails anything from the 3rd of May until the day I die.
Old May 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Updated with a sample of the 5"x5" layout of the card front and back.
Updated with a rough sample of the standard size Portrait layout of the card front and back.
Updated with a rough sample of the standard size Landscape layout of the card front and back.

Last edited by HeroscapeLunatic; May 12th, 2008 at 12:36 AM.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:33 AM

Re: Battle Cards ver. 2.0 - Sample Now Available!

With the addition of a back side to the cards, I would like some input as to what users might like to see on the back of the card that might be beneficial information.

Currently I have synergies, homeworld, and the set information.

This leaves the back a little bare on most cards.

At one point I had contemplated adding the various rule clarifications, but fell short when I saw that some would take up too much room.

Your feedback is most appreciated.
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm very partial to the original HS cards, so the square, 5"x5" template seems best to me. Although that probably doesn't solve any issues that the originals may present - aren't the original cards 5"x5" anyway?

For what it's worth, I really like the way you've subtitled the unit with personality/species/class.
It's fun to read the character! I'm trying to find other combinations that sound cool.
Oni would be a Tormenting Ogre Guard. That's cool.
Old May 13th, 2008, 02:54 AM
C3G Hero

5"x5" is definitely the best looking of them.

The combined personality/species/class is great.

I also like the bars to represent the numbers for the move, attack, etc.

Great work!
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour View Post
I'm very partial to the original HS cards, so the square, 5"x5" template seems best to me. Although that probably doesn't solve any issues that the originals may present - aren't the original cards 5"x5" anyway?

For what it's worth, I really like the way you've subtitled the unit with personality/species/class.
It's fun to read the character! I'm trying to find other combinations that sound cool.
Oni would be a Tormenting Ogre Guard. That's cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestuff View Post
5"x5" is definitely the best looking of them.

The combined personality/species/class is great.

I also like the bars to represent the numbers for the move, attack, etc.

Great work!
What I like about the 5"x5" size is that it can easily be sized down to 4x4 or even 3-1/2x3-1/2 and won't lose any integrity. The text size of the 3-1/2x3-1/2 is comparable to that of my original Battle Card release.

As for the combined description, it started as a way to eliminate several lines of text. After seeing the way it all meshed, I really liked it too.

Another thing I removed with this layout was the Unique/Common description. I figured that people could tell if it was a hero or a squad - no-brainer there - so that left me with discerning if it was a unique or common army. A simple "" in front of the name tells me that the card is a unique, while nothing in front of the name means that it is a common. I actually yanked that idea from days playing Star Wars CCG. It just saves on text.

The stat bars were one of the designs I had been wanting to use in the new layout. Originally I wanted a gradient color that started off blue/purple then moved to red, then orange, then yellow, and finally white - Similar to a flame. The idea was to show how higher stats were "hotter", while lower stats were "colder". Anyways, it didn't work out as I had seen the idea in my head, so I scrapped it for a simple beveled meter bar that you see on the preview.
Old May 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

What I like about the 5"x5" size is that it can easily be sized down to 4x4 or even 3-1/2x3-1/2 and won't lose any integrity. The text size of the 3-1/2x3-1/2 is comparable to that of my original Battle Card release.

As for the combined description, it started as a way to eliminate several lines of text. After seeing the way it all meshed, I really liked it too.

Another thing I removed with this layout was the Unique/Common description. I figured that people could tell if it was a hero or a squad - no-brainer there - so that left me with discerning if it was a unique or common army. A simple "" in front of the name tells me that the card is a unique, while nothing in front of the name means that it is a common. I actually yanked that idea from days playing Star Wars CCG. It just saves on text.
Regarding the Abomination - oxymoron to be a human creature?

I think completists will want the unique/common label on the cards.
Escpecially with upcoming powers like Majestic Fires targeting commons.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions