Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 10th, 2010, 12:00 PM
p-o'd exaderater

LeviofDoom is surprisingly tart
rate this army?

rate my 500pt army?
-Sgt Drake Alexander(sotm)-170
-Syvarris-100
-Raelin the Kyrie Warrior(rotv)-80
-Finn the Viking Champion-80
-Knights of Weston-70

thnx...
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:20 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker
Re: rate this army?

Depending on what sets you have, it could be better. For example, I would swap out Drake for two more squads of knights, and maybe lose Raelin for Alastair or Gilbert. However, it all depends on what you have, so...
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM
p-o'd exaderater

i dont have 2 sets of anything besides the doubles you get with sotm. my main stratagy here is based around drake and syvarris. use knights to use finn to deal some small damage right away and wait for him to die and enhance syvarris' attack all the while moving syvarris to high ground and giving him height advantage. and then move out drake followed by realin to kill stuff with 6 attack 6 life 6 defense 6 move and awesome abilities. and the knight will follow to clean things up... havent tested it yet but i like it in theory.
p.s. if i ever see more knights ill definately pick some up

Edit: however i do have alastair and gilbert
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

I'd want to have more range. Syvarris is ok but he's no powerhouse at bringing the ranged pain. I'd rather have someone like Kaemon Awa in his role. And perhaps replace Drake with Q10, a better ranged attack and more versatile, IMO.

I used to use Drake all the time but I find lately when I want someone like him I draft Crixus, he's a lot cheaper and usually just as durable, at least in my experience.

My custom Terrain and Units.

My HS pics
Old January 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM
p-o'd exaderater

Dont have Kaemon or Crixus thnx for suggestion tho
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM
p-o'd exaderater

Are any of these better fitting?
Syvarris
Finn
KoW
Deepwyrm Drow
Major Q9

Syvarris
Finn
KoW
Derrak Ambershard
Otonashi
Major Q9

Syvarris
Finn
KoW
Major Q10
Krav Maga Agents

Syvarris
Finn
KoW
Alastair Macdirk
Arkmer
Sir Hawthorne

or original?
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

It looks like you want to keep the Syvarris+Knights+Finn core, which leaves 250 points You could add Thorgrim as another hero to bond with the KoW and another (eventual) boost to Syvarris. He wouls allow you to kamikaze Finn to get his spirit on Syvarris quickly, but still keep the free bonding activation from the Kow. For support Raelin would provide an excellent boost to your melee screen Knights, or Ana Karithon would be nice to have next to Syvarris, providing him healing and a defense boost.

As far as having only one squad of knights, are you looking for an army for competitive play or casual play? If it's competitive then you are obviously limited by what you own (or can borrow-it's always worth asking if someone has a spare set), but if you are playing casually see if the other people you are playing with are okay with you using proxies. If they are the Tarns make an excellent second squad of Knights (they're what I used until I was able to snag another squad )

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM
p-o'd exaderater

Thanks! i might try that out! now i dont play in compititions or anything but i am extremely competitive with friends. Thanks again for the suggestion.
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM

Davey is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

IDK, it doesn't seem all that great to me.

Having to rely on someone dying as part of your strategy doesn't really seem like a good idea.

Could you maybe post a list of the figures you have?

Using proxies is a good idea too, as Killometer suggested.

"An army of principles can penetrate where an army of soldiers cannot." - Thomas Paine
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM

miantanomo is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Im not a big fan of the krav agents. Personally I like Deadeye dan. Not as durable as syvarris but packs more kick. Try this pack:

Deadeye Dan
Finn
Crixus
Stingers
Q10

Price is no concern for me so make what changes you will.

Who him?
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
IDK, it doesn't seem all that great to me.

Having to rely on someone dying as part of your strategy doesn't really seem like a good idea.
Are you kidding? That's one of the best parts of the original viking figures! Charge Finn in with 4 knights swinging and watch your opponent choose to attack him to eliminate the Knight's attack bonus, or avoid him to prevent seeing Syvarris get one. That's win/win.

Finn and Thorgrim are so fun to play because when your opponent goes in for the kill on your figure, you say, "wow, I can't believe I survived that" or "Oh, good you finally killed him, now my ranged hero gets +1"

The only problem I see is that Levi has so few knights that taking both Finn and Thorgrim would be a mistake. The knights will not survive long enough to keep the bonding going.
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM

miantanomo is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Oh man I agree the original vikings and warriors (along with early expansions) are some the best guys to combine are the earliest.

I agree that the knights are pretty weak so may I suggest a bodyguard of some sorts perhaps q10 or a sniper to cover them like syvarris or deadeye.

Who him?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion