Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Old July 29th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Hero Proxy/Token Project (with Battlemat added)

I decided to take the plunge with the C3G figures, so I put together a set of proxy tokens, even though I also ordered the Heroclix figures. These are affixed to 1" wooden discs that you can purchase in bulk (cheap!) from craftparts.com.

As you can see, everything fits in one tackle box.

The next image shows terrain from the Halo Interactive Strategy Game with the tokens.

Breakdown of tokens in bottom image:

Top row: glyphs, front and back

Second row: Unique heroes. The leftmost disc shows the back, which doesn't have any sticker attached. You can also see with Spiderman that I found images for the original Marvel set. Edit: Oooops, how did that Sentinel get there?

Third row: Common heroes. I numbered each figure (except one) for identification purposes.

Fourth row: Common squads (civilians & thugs). The smiley face is what I put on the backs of all the common squads. This allows creation of scenarios where you want to hide the identity of the figure until revealed.

Five row: Common squads (cops & celebrities). The celebrities were my idea, and would be great for hostage or other such scenarios. I put together 8 males and 8 females.

I tested the discs on the Heroscape castle ladders, and they do fit. The common squads are just a tad snug due to the labels being on the back and front. This can really be useful if you don't want to rebase your Heroclix figures.

I printed these on full label sheets and laminated them before cutting. Despite what you may think, these are easy to peel apart after cutting so they can be affixed to the discs. They also protect the images from scratches.

Next task: I think this would be ideal for destructible objects. I'll have to locate some decent images first.

Last edited by davidlhsl; July 31st, 2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Changed wording so this wouldn't be considered a submission to, or part of, the C3G project
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Hero Proxy/Token Project

Very interesting. Although I very much prefer my minis, this looks like a nice cheap solution, and hopefully fun too.
Old July 29th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!
Re: Hero Proxy/Token Project

I received my Heroclix figures, and they look great. Total cost was about what I would pay for a wave of regular Heroscape. I'm dying to try out the scenarios (especially "Recruit the Batman", if for no other reason than to build that map). So I will be using the minis as well. However, I need proxies for some of the stuff I couldn't get (all the common squads, Deadpool (Isamu would make a good proxy), and Alfred (perhaps Jotun as a proxy -- "YOU RANNNNNG, MASTER BRUUUUUCE???!!!!") Also, I like the idea of using the tokens on ladders. So I can find a use for these tokens, even with the minis.

I also have a Chessex vinyl battle mat on the way which contains 1" square and hex grids. I can see setting up the 3D terrain and use the minis for outdoors, and using the mat/tokens for tracing building interiors. Imagine a scenario where Batman and Robin duke it out with the Joker and Riddler, with Robin needing to go to the bathroom in the middle of the battle. Now he can run inside and... Wait -- forget that.... But the mat/tokens will be a great way of setting up a quick and portable battle on their own, even though it won't look as good.

Since I know you're working on Fantastic Four, I went ahead and ordered those four figures that I'm sure will be in the set. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you folks come up with.

Last edited by davidlhsl; July 29th, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:46 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Re: Hero Proxy/Token Project (with Battlemat)

I received my big battlemat today (I have a smaller mat on order). Of course, this is obviously more crude than using 'Scape terrain, but I see this as a handy way to sketch out quick layouts. I think this will also be a great method to create more elaborate layouts that simply aren't possible using traditional 'Scape terrain.

Overview (I only used a portion of the map to sketch a quick demo):

Closeup of one building. Each floor uses identical floor plans, with only the ground floor considered "active" for specific interior objectives. Each building has a number indicating number of floors, with roofs playable. I use 3/4" blocks as risers to indicate which floor you're on. Height of each floor = 10. Unlike traditional Heroscape, it only costs 1 movement point to change floors.

Another building. Hexes with walls splitting the hex in half are unplayable. Hexes with walls only cutting the upper portion are playable, since it's clear which side you're on. Doors (not drawn, but are pretty obvious) are considered closed, but you can cross by spending an extra movement point. If a door crosses the middle of the hex, you pay the extra movement cost to enter the hex and are considered visible from both sides (only time door is considered open). Tokens cannot occupy obstacles (representing filing cabinets and bookcases, and I see Capt. America shouldn't be standing there), but tokens can occupy desks. Roofs are clear and have no obstacles. Hexes split between road and sidewalk are playable, and token is considered on sidewalk.

Another closeup of first building. The blue arrow (next to where Blob is standing) indicates elevator/stairwell for access to upper levels.

As you can see, using a hex grid complicates things. If my brain ever explodes from this, I can always flip to the square grids. That would make things much easier. The type of terrain and obstacles is limited only by the imagination.

I set up the Wayne Manor map last night, and it is impressive! So no, I'm not abandoning the minis.

Last edited by davidlhsl; July 31st, 2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:02 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Hero Proxy/Token Project (with Battlemat added)

Yeah, I remember working on that map - it's a crazy one.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 31st, 2010, 10:20 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Yeah, I remember working on that map - it's a crazy one.
I had a chance to try out "Recruit the Batman" and played about 5 games. Speaking from the heroes' perspective, I was spanked like a naughty child all five times. Some of the tactics I tried simply didn't work. Despite being brutal, this scenario is such a blast to play. I'll keep plugging at it, but the last game I decided to push past Round 10 to see if I could even win. Nope, but at least I made it to the Batman phase.

One factor in my results was that Catwoman was rolling some wicked dice. I really chuckled when I noticed she has 9 lives. And during the first game I played, Batman was zapped with four wounds at the door before he could knock it down. He got revenge in the second game with 6 wounds to the door in one blow. BAM!

I think it would be funny if I finally won the game as the heroes, and Batman's final words were, "Y'know, you could've just rung the doorbell."

I haven't been able to play Heroscape as much in the past 1-1/2 years as I'd like, but it's such a joy to finally have a reason to dust off my Marvel figures and add so many more. When I do get some gaming in, I can now see myself playing the Superheroes as much as regular 'Scape.

Last edited by davidlhsl; July 31st, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 10:33 PM

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Yeah, Catwoman and streaky and that door is wicked. Having superstrength and special attacks to get around some of those auto shields on the door is nice, though!
I'm glad you at least got to Batman once. Did he grab the Green Kryptonite in time to take you out? Did you ever Bat Grapple him up the well? (I love doing that).

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old July 31st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

A surprise Batgrapple up the well was what my brother inlaw used on my Superman while he was standing next the well, and Batman on height with the Green K beat the tar out of the Man of Steel. Good times.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:42 PM
Drink Burt's Beer

Superman never was able to make it to Phase 4. Since time is against the heroes, my strategy playing Batman's side was to make the heroes travel as far as possible. I always place Catwoman down in Batman's lair where she could grab the Kryptonite and force the situation where only Superman can reach her in a timely manner. I wasted too much time in three of the games trying to put Green Arrow into position (by the time he gets to the ladder, Catwoman is headed back towards Batman's start zones), so I decided Superman should shoulder the burden with the door and Catwoman. Instead of the normal odds of 2/5 of avoiding damage with Stray, she was rolling 3/5, and those happened during the heaviest hits! One time, Superman rolled 6 skulls (7 - 2 kryptonite + 1 height advantage), only to have Catwoman sucessfully slink off. To add insult to injury, Catwoman was able to snap that whip like Sigfried and Roy, even with Superman's Man of Steel.

One other detail to mention: I made tons of sound effects, even though I was playing this solo. Bzzzzzzt! (Electric Door) Ptewww! (Laser) Meow! (Catwoman) Those should've helped my odds, but didn't.
Old July 31st, 2010, 11:49 PM

Ah, when I playtested this, I definitely didn't turtle Catwoman, so that's probably part of it. It's just so much fun to crack that whip on Superman, though.

Old August 1st, 2010, 10:36 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

I had this huge battle report written and ready to post, but I was logged out and lost the message. Aaaargh! I'll just simply report that this morning's session was better for the heroes. Superman knocks down the door on round 3, then takes out Catwoman on round 5. Catwoman completely whiffed her Stray and Whip rolls. I give Superman a break and let Black Canary and Green Arrow take out the thugs. The thugs put themselves at the upper platform (upper level) to get the 2 dice height bonus. It was Black Canary's turn to whiff. Although she took out a thug with her Canary Cry, she fell to the thugs pretty easily. Green Arrow sniped safely at range to knock out the others by round 8.

Superman faces Batman, with Green Arrow keeping watch on the upper level in case Batman decides to go up the well. Batman was on fire, scoring 100% on all of his Evasive Strike rolls. Batman's fists also packed a punch, and was able to knock out Superman in round 11 (time had expired, but I wanted to see this battle to conclusion). I didn't play past to see how he would do against Green Arrow.

I now see this scenario as being very tough, but winnable, for the heroes. However, the heroes really need think their strategy through in order to have a chance.
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:37 PM

Yep - I definitely think it's the most difficult scenario we've put out!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion