Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM
proper grammar and spelling are vital too success

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!
Exclamation The Army Advice and Feedback Thread

Despite our continuous efforts, new threads about "judge this army" or "Is this army good" keep showing up so perhaps, they could go here.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
in LAUR DETENTION FACILITY

Last edited by Neo; June 5th, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!
Re: The Army Judging Thread

Wow. Good idea. +rep.
I've posted this army several places, and I've had some advice from people (thanks Killometer) but I'd like a wider space for advice. So here are the 2 versions I've come up with.
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Brunak
Sir Hawthorne
Isamu
500 points, 15 hexes. Basic Idea is use Red Flag of Fury to use Brunak to carry Sir Hawthorne into movement range of ranged squads/heroes, or capture glyphs or height. Sir Hawthorne, in my opinion can keep ranged guys busy enough for the orcs to secure height or an advantageous position for an assault. Bulked up with Defensive and Battle cry Auras, Heavy Gruts become a 3/4 attack defense squad with the heightened chance of getting skulls. 4 attacks per turn with these guys bathed in Auras would be deadly. Isamu cleans up the mess. Several Concerns about this army are-
1) Only 2 figures of my army are immune to abilities due to their size, like Poisonous Acid Breath.
2) The survivability of my figures. Sir Hawthorne is the only one with a life above 4.
3) Sir Hawthorne turning on me. Although considering his point cost and great special attack, not to mention synergy, that's a 5% chance I'm willing to take.

Version 2.0
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Sir Hawthorne
Krug
500 points, 14 hexes. As a hero that follows Utgar, Krug keeps the synergy of the flag, but the carry strategy is toast. Krav could rip either Hawthorne or Krug apart before they get to them. However, Krug can survive longer, so long as concentrated fire doesn't come his way. I do lose a special attack though. Not to mention my clean-up ninja. Yet when wounded, Krug will have a high base attack, something my army critically lacks. Concerns about the army are-
1) Carry is gone, therefor my army becomes more vulnerable to range.
2) Clean-up is gone. If I face an army of knights, and the orcs can't hold the line, I lose a counter to one of the best melee squads in the game.
I would love some feedback on this. I'm trying desperately to create an army that is tournament ready and cool aesthetically (I think that's the right word.)

Last edited by Son of Arathorn; September 3rd, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:38 AM

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Okay, deeply sorry for the double post, but I think it's the only way for people to see this show up on the General Forums page, or whatever it is.
Other armies I need judged (I realize this isn't just for me, but other people should post their armies too. This is a valuable idea.)-
Roman Legionnaires x3
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Mogrimm Forgehammer
Me-Burq-Sa
Airborne Elite
500 points, 17 hexes (the Drop)
A classic Romans/Warlord build with the Elite for range.

Krav Maga Agents
Major Q9
Raelin RotV
Phantom Knights x2
500 points, 12 hexes
Raelin/Krav/Q9 core w/PK's going for enemy range/glyphs/ ambushing melee outside of Vydar soldiers range. Raelin goes with either PK's or the range pocket, depending on armies.
Thoughts?
Old September 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Wow. Good idea. +rep.
I've posted this army several places, and I've had some advice from people (thanks Killometer) but I'd like a wider space for advice. So here are the 2 versions I've come up with.
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Brunak
Sir Hawthorne
Isamu
500 points, 15 hexes. Basic Idea is use Red Flag of Fury to use Brunak to carry Sir Hawthorne into movement range of ranged squads/heroes, or capture glyphs or height. Sir Hawthorne, in my opinion can keep ranged guys busy enough for the orcs to secure height or an advantageous position for an assault. Bulked up with Defensive and Battle cry Auras, Heavy Gruts become a 3/4 attack defense squad with the heightened chance of getting skulls. 4 attacks per turn with these guys bathed in Auras would be deadly. Isamu cleans up the mess. Several Concerns about this army are-
1) Only 2 figures of my army are immune to abilities due to their size, like Poisonous Acid Breath.
2) The survivability of my figures. Sir Hawthorne is the only one with a life above 4.
3) Sir Hawthorne turning on me. Although considering his point cost and great special attack, not to mention synergy, that's a 5% chance I'm willing to take.

Version 2.0
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Sir Hawthorne
Krug
500 points, 14 hexes. As a hero that follows Utgar, Krug keeps the synergy of the flag, but the carry strategy is toast. Krav could rip either Hawthorne or Krug apart before they get to them. However, Krug can survive longer, so long as concentrated fire doesn't come his way. I do lose a special attack though. Not to mention my clean-up ninja. Yet when wounded, Krug will have a high base attack, something my army critically lacks. Concerns about the army are-
2) Clean-up is gone. If I face an army of knights, and the orcs can't hold the line, I lose a counter to one of the best melee squads in the game.
I would love some feedback on this. I'm trying desperately to create an army that is tournament ready and cool aesthetically (I think that's the right word.)
Personally, I prefer The first army, because once you lose Hawthorne, The orcs should be able to stomp all over the enemy and if Brunak is still alive, he can clean up. The first build is scared of melee though, because they will be just as happy as ou in the melee you hope to achieve and also have more ground troups to work with, since they didn't use 200 points on having a safe march. The Second army doesn't like range though, so I would switch Krug, Ornak and Hawthorn with Grimnak, More Heavies, Tornak and Marcu.
Quote:
Okay, deeply sorry for the double post, but I think it's the only way for people to see this show up on the General Forums page, or whatever it is.
Other armies I need judged (I realize this isn't just for me, but other people should post their armies too. This is a valuable idea.)-
Roman Legionnaires x3
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Mogrimm Forgehammer
Me-Burq-Sa
Airborne Elite

Krav Maga Agents
Major Q9
Raelin RotV
Phantom Knights x2
500 points, 12 hexes
Raelin/Krav/Q9 core w/PK's going for enemy range/glyphs/ ambushing melee outside of Vydar soldiers range. Raelin goes with either PK's or the range pocket, depending on armies.
Thoughts?
In the first army, if you using the Airborne Elite as range backup, they have to drop at a very precise moment which you shouldn't really on getting, so I would use Krav and Isamu instead. In the second army, I would use Laglor and Guilty instead od=f the Phantom Knights, so you can just turtle and shoot everything that comes on your side of the board while slowly moving towards height.
~Neo

Neo is Heavy Grut...

Last edited by Neo; September 4th, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old September 4th, 2011, 03:52 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Wow. Good idea. +rep.
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Brunak
Sir Hawthorne
Isamu

Version 2.0
Heavy Gruts x2
Ornak
Nerak
Sir Hawthorne
Krug
If the goal is to make a strong Heavies army, than you're better off with more Heavies (ideally 4 squads) and with Grimnak instead of Krug, Hawthorne, and perhaps Ornak. If you're thinking of this more as an Ornak army, though, then I would suggest dropping Hawthorne. You're better off with Marcu and whatever other A-level Utgar heroes fit. Dropping Nerak and the Heavies for Cyprien/Sonya or some Hydras is a solid choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Quote:
Roman Legionnaires x3
Marcus Decimus Gallus
Mogrimm Forgehammer
Me-Burq-Sa
Airborne Elite
If you using the Airborne Elite as range backup, they have to drop at a very precise moment which you shouldn't really on getting, so I would use Krav and Isamu instead.
I disagree; the Airborne have fantastic synergy with MDG, which is well worth taking advantage of. However, the above army is 530 points, not 500. I'd probably drop Mogrimm for Raelin+Isamu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Quote:
Krav Maga Agents
Major Q9
Raelin RotV
Phantom Knights x2
500 points, 12 hexes
Thoughts?
I would use Laglor and Guilty instead of the Phantom Knights, so you can just turtle and shoot everything that comes on your side of the board while slowly moving towards height.
I disagree, unless you're playing on a map with open sight lines and plenty of decelerators like rivers or snow. Otherwise, a screen is more valuable.

If you drop the PKs for rats and Marcu, you have what many people think is the strongest army at 500 points.
Old September 4th, 2011, 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=dok;1474534]
Quote:
However, the above army is 530 points, not 500. I'd probably drop Mogrimm for Raelin+Isamu.
man am I dumb. thanks so much dok, and Neo
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Intresting thread... Any thoughts on

100 Syvarris
40 Theracus
150 WoA x3
290 points, 12 spaces

Nice and simple, against ranged, use Syvarris to draw them in to attack with WoA, against melee use Syvarris for some early damage before they get there, and then win with the Ashras.

And yes, the point total is 290.
Old September 4th, 2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post

100 Syvarris
40 Theracus
150 WoA x3
290 points, 12 spaces

Nice and simple, against ranged, use Syvarris to draw them in to attack with WoA, against melee use Syvarris for some early damage before they get there, and then win with the Ashras.

Hmm. Toss in Otanashi (yes Otanashi) and you have a solid 300 RoV army. Unless you want to keep it a Ullar only club. But if you use the Ashra as a screen, bye-bye Knight armies. Orcs and Rats? Not so much. Still, that seems like a really fun army. Syvarris must feel like a player.
Old September 4th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post

100 Syvarris
40 Theracus
150 WoA x3
290 points, 12 spaces

Hmm. Toss in Otanashi (yes Otanashi) and you have a solid 300 RoV army. Unless you want to keep it a Ullar only club. But if you use the Ashra as a screen, bye-bye Knight armies. Orcs and Rats? Not so much. Still, that seems like a really fun army.
So many to choose from.
On a more serious note, that army is good, it's just terrified of major Q9 and Deathwalker 8000

Neo is Heavy Grut...
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
He should definitely get that. (#4)

TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TGRF is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Great thread idea, Neo. Personally, I like to experiment a lot with my armies, but one that has never failed me is the marro. Its' a bit changeable, but the base is pretty much the same.

The hive - 160
X1 Stingers - 60 (Yes, just one)
Tor-Kul-Na - 220
X2 Nagrubs - 60
500 points, 11 hexes, plus the hive

Fairly straight forward. All of the OMs go on the hive. Then, depending on what your opponent does, you can either use the Nagrubs to move Tor-Kul-Na (Note that while the Nagrubs need to stay within 12 spaces of the hive, Tor-Kul-Na can go all over the board.) or move the stingers onto a high ground. It ussulaly wins without much trouble. Of course, ahvign two sets of stingers would be mroe safe, so if you want to give up the tank for a smaller version, try

Hive - 160
X2 Stingers - 120
Su-Bak-Na - 160
X2 Nagrubs
500 points, 14 hexes, plus the hive

Same idea except that Su-Bak-Na is slightly more maneuverable and has hive supremacy. Because of hive supremacy, I think this one might a bit better, especially with the extra stingers, but the other one is fairly effective also.
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper's Friend View Post
Great thread idea, Neo. Personally, I like to experiment a lot with my armies, but one that has never failed me is the marro. Its' a bit changeable, but the base is pretty much the same.

The hive - 160
X1 Stingers - 60 (Yes, just one)
Tor-Kul-Na - 220
X2 Nagrubs - 60
500 points, 11 hexes, plus the hive

Fairly straight forward. All of the OMs go on the hive. Then, depending on what your opponent does, you can either use the Nagrubs to move Tor-Kul-Na (Note that while the Nagrubs need to stay within 12 spaces of the hive, Tor-Kul-Na can go all over the board.) or move the stingers onto a high ground. It ussulaly wins without much trouble. Of course, ahvign two sets of stingers would be mroe safe, so if you want to give up the tank for a smaller version, try

Hive - 160
X2 Stingers - 120
Su-Bak-Na - 160
X2 Nagrubs
500 points, 14 hexes, plus the hive

Same idea except that Su-Bak-Na is slightly more maneuverable and has hive supremacy. Because of hive supremacy, I think this one might a bit better, especially with the extra stingers, but the other one is fairly effective also.
The Hive can't activate nagrubs

Neo is Heavy Grut...
Old September 4th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Well, while we're on the topic of Marro Armies, I like-
Su-Bak-Na- 160
Nagrubs x2- 60
Stingers x3- 180
Dividers x2- 100
500 points, 20 hexes. I think.
Anyway, Dividers can screen for the Stingers, and Su-Bak-Na kills anyone too tough for the Stingers to take down (in short, nobody). You have to keep those Nagrubs close to the Hivelord though, 'cuz if he goes down, those Dividers won't survive worth a . However, if they only have to get a 16 or higher, with a little luck, this army kills all in it's path.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion