Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 05:57 PM

Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Gen Con 2010 Main Event Armies

Yeah Mattser, I really like that idea. MWs can be even more bothersome than rats with some strategic playing (that I've learned thanks to Ry, I believe).

Man, I really want to go.
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:31 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
At 510, I'd like to see

160 SBN
300 Dividers x 6
50 MW
510 24 hexes

Day 2 choices are very limited.
They aren't too bad (sit a Divider for each of these):

90 - Raelin
110 - Drake/Alastair/Sharwin (hey, she fits the points and has a Special Attack. Moriko does too)
130 - Kee-Mo-Shi
I tried the SBN/Divider/MW army and lost to a 10th Reg army in a fairly tough battle. Even though the Dividers seemed to come back over and over (I got multiple cell divides), it just wasn't fun for me. I think that you need more than 3 figures for a melee army to work.
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Man, you guys are really ruining whatever comparative advantage I may have had by coming up with better armies than the next guy.

I remember last year, most of the people playing and around were Heroscapers, and I'm sure they're reading this.

Oh well, at least some people will get to brag that they beat me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played this army today against Migol, 3x Dwarves, and Nilf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Mogrimm 120
Marcus D 100
NGS 90
MBS 50
3xRLs 150
The map was Underground Iceways, and I was able to sustain both the defense and move glyphs the whole game. I was leading until the Romans thinned out. The problem is that the Romans are your only offense, and you have so many Warlords that they don't all get used. At the end of the game, my opponent's squad of Dwarves and wounded Migol could make a comeback against my full-health but single attack MBS, Marcus, and NGS. So I've been thinking of some other figures for more attack power. I think at 3x Romans, the sweet spot is 2-3 Warlords.
-sub Mogrimm and MBS for Q10
-sub Mogrimm for Krug/Kaemon
-sub the Marros for AE and filler
-sub Mogrimm for AE (the classic)

I like Mogrimm though. What does this army need? Raelin, a Q9 counter, a 'tron counter? (I've never played against 'trons so not sure about that matchup)
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:27 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by arp12 View Post
Quote:
Mogrimm 120
Marcus D 100
NGS 90
MBS 50
3xRLs 150
The map was Underground Iceways, and I was able to sustain both the defense and move glyphs the whole game. I was leading until the Romans thinned out. The problem is that the Romans are your only offense, and you have so many Warlords that they don't all get used. At the end of the game, my opponent's squad of Dwarves and wounded Migol could make a comeback against my full-health but single attack MBS, Marcus, and NGS. So I've been thinking of some other figures for more attack power. I think at 3x Romans, the sweet spot is 2-3 Warlords.

I like Mogrimm though. What does this army need? Raelin, a Q9 counter, a 'tron counter? (I've never played against 'trons so not sure about that matchup)
150 Romans x 3
140 Phantom Knights x 2
120 Mogrimm
100 Marcus
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:44 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
150 Romans x 3
140 Phantom Knights x 2
120 Mogrimm
100 Marcus
I love that army! Phantom knights grab glyphs and are sturdy enough to hold out until your full army hits the front.
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:05 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Mogrimm 120
Marcus D 100
NGS 90
MBS 50
3xRLs 150

Why not the simplest switch of all?

200 Roman Legionnaires x4
120 Mogrimm Forgehammer
100 Marcus Decimus Gallus
090 Ne-Gok-Sa

Dropping MBS for another squad of Romans means you have no Range at all, but a single attack of 3 isn't much Range anyway. Better yet, you have enough LEGOs to keep around and use all your Warlords. This is why I always try to play X Bonding Squads with X-1 Bonded Heroes.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 6th, 2010, 01:51 AM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post

120 Mogrimm Forgehammer
090 Ne-Gok-Sa
I think 3 Heroes is too Many. I say we drop Mogrimm and replace him with the AE so now we have:

4x Romans
AE
Marcus
NGS
------------

or the interesting

4x Romans
AE
Marcus
Raelin
-----------
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote:
150 Romans x 3
140 Phantom Knights x 2
120 Mogrimm
100 Marcus
This is an army I'd like to try out; I just have to proxy a 2nd squad of PKs.

Quote:

120 Mogrimm Forgehammer
090 Ne-Gok-Sa

Dropping MBS for another squad of Romans means you have no Range at all, but a single attack of 3 isn't much Range anyway. Better yet, you have enough LEGOs to keep around and use all your Warlords. This is why I always try to play X Bonding Squads with X-1 Bonded Heroes.
I definitely also want to play this one, and I can proxy the 4th Roman squad.

I have to disagree with this post though. 4x Romans bonding with just Marcus (and maybe NGS) is too much. Marcus is your main Warlord, and if your opponent just takes him out, you're left with 20 4-move figures in your army.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil's Advocate View Post
I think 3 Heroes is too Many. I say we drop Mogrimm and replace him with the AE so now we have:

4x Romans
AE
Marcus
NGS
------------

or the interesting

4x Romans
AE
Marcus
Raelin
-----------
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions.
Quote:
150 Romans x 3
140 Phantom Knights x 2
120 Mogrimm
100 Marcus

Quote:

120 Mogrimm Forgehammer
090 Ne-Gok-Sa

I have to disagree with this post though. 4x Romans bonding with just Marcus (and maybe NGS) is too much. Marcus is your main Warlord, and if your opponent just takes him out, you're left with 20 4-move figures in your army.
Mogrimm Forgehammer is a Warlord, too... (hence X Romans [4] bonding with X-1 Warlords [4-1=3]).

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Having 3 Heroes, all with decent survivability is too much though. NGS is a tank who can survive an extremely long time and Marcus also has good life. Including the AE adds a lot more to the army than a 3rd Hero morgrimm does. Look at Kow for example, most of the best KOW armies include 1-2 Heroes, very rarely 3. The primary reason is that the power of the army is in the squad members so you want to maximize your points in that direction.
Old June 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

120 Mogrimm Forgehammer
090 Ne-Gok-Sa

Mogrimm Forgehammer is a Warlord, too... (hence X Romans [4] bonding with X-1 Warlords [4-1=3]).
I think Arp was saying he didn't agree with Devil's post, regarding Marcus AE, and tons of Romans, and NGS. However, I don't think it's as bad as Arp thinks. Leading Romans with NGS as tank is pretty effective, so you just leave Marcus to cheer-lead in the back. The problem isn't Marcus- it's whether the AE drop, and how fragile they can be. If you don't have them, or lose them to ranged fire? Your Romans lack cover, and will probably get worn down by enemy range.

Necro's PK supplement is an awesome idea for that. Well done.

Working with PKs briefly, I also came up with this. Not shore if it was done already:

PKs x3 - 210
Stompy - 430
Nagrubs x2 - 490
Marcu - 510
18 hexes

This seems really solid, it's fast, durable, easy OMs, ignores rats, can deal with range. I can't think of any solid counterarmies that would have this army's number. Stinger horde, maybe? If you got one, post it! If the point total was 520, Marcu for 1x more Nagrubs would be a done deal.

- Heroscape is a standing game. -

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion