Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old July 1st, 2020, 03:57 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Varkaanan Blade Dancers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Swamp Water Tunnel would also make most folks think it would trigger Engagement Strike if the Drudge tunnels around a Nakita.

Its best to just put in an FAQ and be done with it.
It's a long list of powers. Since this is a broader issue that exists without customs, I made a post in the rules forum.

We can put together a FAQ on it as well.
Old July 1st, 2020, 08:07 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Can you point me to the wording that makes you think blade dancing is different than stealth leaping?
@dok ?
The easiest way to explain it is that Steath Leap uses the flying wording that has a known ruling attached to it, while Blade Dancing is just "do what card says".

Blade Dance is a placement power that says you place the figure on a spot. That's what it says to do so that's all you do. So if you move from one spot adjacent to the figure to another spot adjacent to that figure, you never left engagement, because you moved from one space next to the figure to another space next to the figure. (The "does not take leaving engagement" wording is there for possible disengagement from another enemy figure, not the one you're leaping around.)

By contrast, stealth leap uses nearly the exact wording as flying. Flying uses wording that strongly implies space-by-space movement, and we have established rulings that flying triggers leaving engagement when you start flying, even if you plan to fly around a figure without moving away from it.

I guess at this point I'll tag @Scytale to see if he disagrees with me or has anything to add.
I agree, and have a counter question. What wording makes you think this is the same as Stealth Leap, and different than, say, Swamp Water Tunnel?
Looking at Swamp Water Tunnel, it would seem like that ability actually sets a strong precedent that figures DO leave engagement when they start to use their "placement" abilities.

The wording for Swamp Water Tunnel reads:
Quote:
If a Marro Drudge ends its normal movement on a swamp water space, you may immediately place it on any empty same-level swamp water space within 5 spaces. If a Marro Drudge is engaged when it starts to tunnel, it will take any leaving engagement attacks.
The bolded section is worded exactly the same as Flying and other space-to-space movement powers that cause a break in engagement at the moment of activation. I could be wrong about this, but it seems pretty clear from the way this ability is worded that Swamp Water Tunnel is also intended to cause a break in engagement at the moment of activation ("when it starts to tunnel") rather than after a destination is selected? Am I misinterpreting this, @dok , @Scytale , @quozl ? If I am, what makes Swamp Water Tunnel different than Flying and other similar powers when the wording used to describe the timing of disengagement is the same?

Presumably, Swamp Water Tunnel isn't a completely different kind of placement than other placement powers; other placement powers just typically don't have to highlight this because they're not subject to leaving engagement attacks at all. This interaction suggests to me that all placement powers result in a break in engagement at the time of activation, regardless of their destination.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 09:38 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

You do make a good point about Swamp Water Tunnel wording. That is the same (wonky) wording that Flying uses, and suggests that it's the act of Tunneling that causes the disengage, not the act of moving to a non-engaged space.

Edit: though dok made a good argument against this in a different thread.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 12:33 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

SWT was simply a matter of templating being changed to match the many other "place" powers that move figures without counting space-by-space. I see SWT not as attempting to match the wording of flying/etc, but attempting to match the wording of chain grab/throw/spear of summoning/etc.

The alternative would be to believe that Glacier Traverse and Grapple Gun were intended to place a figure on a different space without necessarily breaking engagement, but they decided to never revisit this mechanic in the future. This strikes me as an overly close reading of the text. I don't think there was any intentional difference between these earlier powers and SWT.

If I'm going to read something closely to try to parse out the intended meaning, it's going to be the FAQ. And it very specifically calls out a limited set of powers to cause automatic disengage at the start of movement.

Last edited by dok; July 2nd, 2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old December 12th, 2020, 01:33 PM

Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker

PDF to printable cards is not linked in the book. Here is the link: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=3407
Old December 12th, 2020, 01:56 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by myth26 View Post
PDF to printable cards is not linked in the book. Here is the link: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...o=file&id=3407
It is linked, but it's not in the usual place. It's right above the Character Bio.
Old December 12th, 2020, 02:04 PM

Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker Myth26 knows what's in an order marker

My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs