Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Notices

Old September 25th, 2021, 10:00 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 2 until 10/4

550 Points
Map: Jabberwock
Glyphs: Valda and Wannok

S1R_ART0R1US - Army: Greenscale Warriors x4, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Syvarris
mtl - Army: Greenscale Warriors x3, Altais of the Deep, Krav Maga Agents, Sentinels of Grax

Which units survived?
Kalagrith with 3 lives, Syvarris, all Marro Warriors and 11 greenscales.

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Kalagrith: Scorched Earth was very good with having Valda, which was easy to control with the greenscales. Kala was very quick and dealt a lot of damage. Outside of that one scorched earth attack, felt underwhelming.
Altais: died before attacking anything.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

Kalagrith is much much better with valda than without. Feels like a Quahon to me still, being able to attack multiple figures with 4 attack. Something S1R_A mentioned was that the nature of scorched earth leaves Kalagrith closer to the greenscales whereas the other dragons use the greenscales as a screen. I think that's a noticeable difference and makes Kalagrith feel unique. S1R_A compared Kala to a Nilfheim. Good when not engaged, kinda useless after being engaged.
Old September 25th, 2021, 10:20 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The S1R_ART0R1US (0-1) v. mtl1998 (0-1) pool of armies is:
* Buzz-killers: Amberhive Protectors x4, Byrikon the Hiveless, Amberhive Queen, Sujoah
* Fire From Above: Greenscale Warriors x4, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Syvarris
* : Acolytes of Vorganund x4, Caylus, Corvor, Kaemon Awa
* : Greenscale Warriors x3, Altais of the Deep, Krav Maga Agents, Sentinels of Grax
S1R_ART0R1US chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, mtl1998 chooses who places first.

Round 1 mtl took init and moved Altais and GSWs up on OM1. I grabbed Valda on the south with Kalagrith on my OM1 then moved up GSW. Altais transitioned to Krav mainly on the north side who were blocked, then on my OM2 I flew up Kalagrith to take a whack with her normal on a GSW but failed and the GSW did too as I moved a GSW up on the north (Krav side) and retook Valda. On mtl’s OM3 the Krav were blocked again by some solid 2/4+ defense rolls from Greenscales. On my OM3 I took a LEA wound to fly Kalagrith over to the north side (9 move with Valda) and roasted two GSW and put three wounds on Altais while landing adjacent to two Krav. GSW followed up to be in the aura and while a Krav blocked one the other finished off Altais as he whiffed again on defense. I also took Wannok on OM3 and a GSW went off the board.

I got an initiative switch the next round. Kalagrith took out one Krav while wo GSW whiffed on attack. The two remaining Krav put two wounds on Kalagrith. On my OM2 I consolidated around Kalagrith and took out one more Krav with three attacks and threw one GSW out to engage a Sentinel who was within striking distance of Kalagrith. A Sentinel cleaved through him on the next turn while the other moved up slightly. I flew Kalagrith over to the lone remaining Krav and she survived while one of mtl’’s leftover GSW fell to one of mine while I plugged a key gap around Kalagrith close to a Sentinel. On mtl’s OM3 to close the round he engaged the screening GSW and was blocked with a 2/5 v 2/5.

Mtl got a good initiative switch and moved both sentinels into engagement with Kalagrith, one on height and survived a LEA from me. The good move didn’t quite pay off, with 2 skulls on 11 dice from mtl and 2 shields on 7 dice from me Kalagrith took one wound. On my OM1 Kalagrith and three GSW attacks combined to remove one Sentinel. Mtl’s OM2 on Sentinel’s didn’t bring one back and after a blocked attack on Kalagrith, the she-dragon roasted him with a 5/6 attack versus the 7 defense. The game was called for me at this point. I had lost one GSW and had 4 wounds on Kalagrith while mtl had one Krav and four greenscales left.

1-1

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Kalagrith: Scorched Earth was used once and hit a 3/4 doing 125 points of damage. Even if it had failed she was in good position to boost my Greenscales in the area. Once she’s engaged it can’t really be used effectively (like with Nilfheim’s power). Having above average life helps offset the pain of taking LEA's to hit multiple targets.
Flying - Used four times - combined with 7 move was helpful to grab Valda on OM1 and boost GSW development, and then boosted with Valda she was able to go virtually across the map (twice).
Overall very thematic design with her zipping around and I feel like the cost is about right since Scorched Earth isn’t likely to be used very often.

Altais-Never got an attack off and fell to two attacks of 4v3, can’t judge.
Old September 26th, 2021, 12:15 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Army 1: Janos, Maekor, Bambina, C'Rik, Etiana, Maltis Tez (Schismatic Sounds)
Army 2: Blade Gruts x2, Ataraxis, Isamu, Marcu, Iskra, Ornak, Bol, Torin (Cpt. Stupendous, winner)

Which units survived? 1 Blade Grut, Ataraxis Iskra and Isamu at full life
Etiana with full life and Maltis with 1 life remaining (conceded).

Schismatic and I each opened the game by developing our armies toward the height on the wannok side of the map. I led with Torin and Ataraxis, planning to keep the Blade Gruts in reserve until I’d taken out Maekor and C’Rik. I was able to reach the lvl 3 shadow tile with Torin, partially because my opponent didn’t realize that double space figures receive shadow bonuses if only one side is on a shadow space. Schismatic engaged Torin with Maekor and Bambina, and the three spent several rounds duking it out, with Torin killing Bambina and getting Maekor down to 1 life before he was finally finished off by C’Rik stabbing him in the back.

During this time, I was also putting some OMs on Ataraxis, as she was on height and in a good position to shoot Janos. The Explorer leader whiffed two defense rolls, allowing Ataraxis to deal 5 wounds to Janos before he finished her off. When she died, she haunted Maekor, where she would remain for most of the game.

Although Ataraxis went down, Blade Gruts were able to finish off Janos. Maltis Tez had taken some wounds from Wannok earlier, and C’Rik was able to take out Ornak. As the dust settled going into the endgame, I had a full life Iskra, Isamu and a Blade Grut vs Maekor, C’Rik, and Maltis Tez, each with 1 life remaining, and a full life Etiana. Iskra was able to finish off C’Rik, and after Isamu successfully finished off Maekor to revive Ataraxis, Schismatic conceded.

Normal: 5 wounds on Janos

Defense reduced: III

Revived I (would have likely revived at least two more times had game played to end)

I really enjoy playing Ataraxis. She plays a unique role as a high point total cheerleader. I still think that the engagement lock aspect of Terror Enhancement Field clutters up the design, as it is functionally a separate fourth power and seems in testing to be either irrelevant or game-changing, depending on the matchup. It also strikes me as unthematic that a terror ability PREVENTS enemies from fleeing. It would make more sense if the ability paralyzed enemies with fear, preventing them from moving entirely, but this isn’t the case as affected figures are still able to freely circle terrifying enemies.

I’ve also written at length about my concerns with the current iteration of the starfinder designs, but I’ll just note that my opponent seemed to struggle with the complexity level of the designs, frequently forgetting to use abilities, or misreading/misremembering exactly how all the different bonding triggers worked. To some extent this is just to be expected when playing a new faction for the first time, but I do wonder how much the complexity level of the abilities/bonding powers played into this. I’ll leave @SchismaticSounds to comment more on his experience playing the faction.

Version tested
Spoiler Alert!
Old September 26th, 2021, 04:34 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Army 1: Acolytes of Vorganund x3, Master Caylus, Skull Demon, Cathar Spearmen x2, Count Raymond, Marcu Esenwein (blue trails, winner)
Army 2: Goblin Slashers x3, Nottingham Brigand x4, Bugbear Basher x2, Ziggo, Elaria (me)

Which units survived? caylus 0/5, raymond 0/5, marcu 0/6, 2 cathar (a goblin slasher was left in my army when i surrendered)

Round 1
Bit of back and forth for a bit and set up for a few turns, first attack of the round was ziggo who was blocked
om 3 the acolytes wound ziggo and then the skull demon deals 2 more
all attacks from the goblins are blocked and ziggo kills an acolyte

round 2
the goblins take valda, and kill 2 acolytes
the acolytes try to take back valda and fail
both ziggo and the brigand are blocked
the acolytes kill the valda goblin an acolyte dies to no wounds
the goblins do nothing
the valda goblin is killed and wannok is taken along with another goblin and ziggo
goblin takes wannok wound
round 3
the acolytes are blocked and skull kills a goblin
the goblins move up and one of their attacks is blocked
another acolyte is sacrificed
the brigand wounds the skull demon
the goblins are blocked
elaria takes a wannok wound

round 4
cathar kill a goblin and a brigand
the goblins kill the skull demon
cathar kill a hob
cathar spear a goblin, but 2 cathar die and a cultist for it
cathar kill another goblin
spear kills another goblin and deals a wound to hob
goblin dies to wannok

round 5
elaria is wounded
brigand kills a cathar
elaria is killed and a brigand is too
the brigands kill 2 cathar
another goblin is killed and a wound dealt to the hob
the brigands kill the last acolyte

round 6
another cathar dies to the brigands
the hob dies
brigands are blocked
the brigands are killed
Both Taunt and Environmental Suit were not used this game.
Normal:killed one acolyte

I enjoy playing the goblins, the goblins seem to not enjoy me, or at least my dice. Ziggo was in a slug match with the skull for a bit with nothing much happeneing and all he did was kill an acolyte. I still really love him, he feels like something out of spyro or ratchet and clank, but I just cant seem to have any success with the goblin slashers, maybe with just straight brigands or something.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old September 26th, 2021, 08:55 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Seeing as Heroscaper Guy already concisely described our game, I'll just add my thoughts on the units involved.

Map: The Jabberwock
Glyphs: Valda & Wannok

Player 1 - Army: Acolytes of Vorganund x3, Master Caylus, Skull Demon, Cathar Spearmen x2, Count Raymond, Marcu Esenwein
Player 2 - Army: Goblin Slashers x3, Nottingham Brigand x4, Bugbear Basher x2, Ziggo, Elaria

Which units survived?
Master Caylus
2 Cathar Spearmen
Count Raymond
Marcu Esenwein
1 Goblin Slasher (Player conceded)

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)
See above post.

Master Caylus:
Rod of Enfeeblement: never used.
Brutal Taskmaster: used on the first round; affected six Acolytes. Allowed Acolytes to take both hills quickly; boosted one Acolyte's Attack.
Normal Attack: never used.

Ziggo:
Taunt 13: never used.
Environmental Suit 11: never used.
Normal Attack: used to little effect.

Master Caylus:
Spoiler Alert!

Ziggo:
Spoiler Alert!

As an aside: funnily enough, I almost brought Heroscaper Guy's exact army to this tournament, but I instead opted for a Varkaanans / Kalagrith build that was ultimately rejected.
Old September 27th, 2021, 01:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I played Shiftrex last Friday. I had his Kala/crypto/MW army, he had demons, corvor, and Caylus.

I moved Kala up early, but I forgot that Caylus boosts not just attack but move with Brutal Taskmaster, so shiftrex got three engagements I thought I was safe from. However, her defense held from the high perch, and it ended up being a beautiful mistake when I triple disengaged and fragged all three cultists (plus a hit on Caylus). The move glyph makes Kalagrith pretty amazing.

Corvor got out and held out for a very long time, killing Kalagrith and a crypto and taking another crypto down to 1 life. However, I was thinning out the cultists the whole time, and Corvor had 2 or 3 no-wound turns to take out Cultists for me. Shiftrex resigned when it was a 1-life Corvor, Johnny, and a wounded Caylus against 2 cryptos (one nearly dead) and the Marro Warriors.

Caylus was solid this game. Once Corvor is out a Caylus OM isn't worth the investment, but he's solid both in early game and, potentially, in late game too. The taskmaster boost was big and so was the one time Kala got enfeebled.

Kala was great. I had to take a big disengage to get the big hit in with her, but I like that risk/reward aspect to her play. She doesn't just sit behind a screen like the boring dragons do, she wants to mix it up.
Old September 27th, 2021, 11:42 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I lost to Vydar's GF in the second round today. The matchup was:

Vegie: Ataraxis, Zombies x4, Zombie Hulk x2, Marcu, Isamu
Vydar GF: Janos, Greenscales x2, Bambina, Maekor, Rygarn

Vydar GF had massed her forces on the south side of the board and I wasn't reactive enough to that. I had a pretty slow early game, deploying out Ataraxis on OM1 to the north-middle of the board, sending a single Zombie north to Wannok, but in the meantime with double Expedition the Mercs were surging up the hill. They took Valda and started blasting away at the Zombie Hulks. The first died almost instantly, but the second Zombie Hulk held out well set up some -2 defense attacks (Zombie Hulk Paralyzing Fear and Ataraxis Terror Field) against Maekor. Vydar GF smartly climbed Bambina and Maekor up to the highest perch on the board, and there was pretty much nothing the Zombies could do to that. Those hexes are immune to Onslaught and there were two massive tanks up there. I got a few Greenscale kills and put Maekor at 4 wounds, and Wannok ticked some damage on to Rygarn and Janos, but eventually the Zombies ran out. I still had the Marcu + Isamu + Ataraxis and a single Zombie on Wannok, which had the opportunity to make a miracle happen, but Isamu failed his first Vanish, and Janos blew up Marcu point blank.

Janos: Very strong showing for him here, he did so much work with Tracking Fire SA and Expedition obviously. He is quite good, and Rygarn synergy makes him even better.

Maekor: Very strong showing for him as well. Plasma Blade Arc was great against the Zombie Horde, killed three extra Zombies, and Company Defensive Formation helped keep him safe when he took a few early wounds.

Bambina: Was kind of just there this game. Not a bad showing, but she didn't do a whole lot of damage. Grav Hammer wasn't that impactful since Vydar GF already had the best height on the board.

Ataraxis: I didn't place her where I should have so hard to rate. I was over-concerned with having her placed within 5 spaces of Marcu and Isamu for a potential revival late game. She's a cool figure, the lategame potential cleanup role in addition to cheerleader is fun. Basically I'll hold some judgement because this was more of a loss for the Zombies than her. Side note: is Nanobot Virus Phylactery a joke I am not getting? If it is not, imo that power name is bizarre, does not describe the effect of the power at all and has a super weird word that I have never heard used before.
Old September 28th, 2021, 12:07 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Nanobot Virus Phylactery:

Phylactery is a physical item that Liches link their soul to that allows them to respawn.
Virus implies that this phylactery infects a host creature instead of a stationary object.
Nanobot implies that there is an underlying tech/sci-fi mechanism.
Old September 28th, 2021, 12:10 AM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Lich Origins

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Side note: is Nanobot Virus Phylactery a joke I am not getting? If it is not, imo that power name is bizarre, does not describe the effect of the power at all and has a super weird word that I have never heard used before.
In DND a Lich's soul is placed inside a phylactery similar to a Harry Potter horcrux. The word
originally originally
comes from a religious device used within Judaism and it's not entirely certain how it came to be a DND term which is where most people will encounter it. I'm assuming the Nanobot Virus is just to make it space themed.

~Dysole, informationally
Old September 28th, 2021, 12:11 AM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

FWIW I love the name and theme of Nanobot Virus Phylactery.
Old September 28th, 2021, 10:20 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Reminds me of the Techno Organic Virus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techno-organic_virus

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old September 28th, 2021, 10:57 AM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
The Chris Perkins (0-1) v. vegie's dad (0-1) pool of armies is:
* God Save the Queen: Amberhive Protectors x5, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Eltahale
* Choose (Your Dragon) Wisely: Greenscale Warriors x4, Altais of the Deep, Othkurik the Black Dragon
* Ziggo and the Blashers: goblin slashers x 5, bugbear bashers x2, Ziggo, Urk
* Big dragon, little dragon: Greenscales Warriors x2, Kalagrith, Sonlen, Raelin
vegie's dad chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Chris Perkins chooses who places first.
Playing tonight @ 8:30 pm eastern

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting