Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old October 16th, 2018, 02:22 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Index of 3D Printed Stl Files

An Elstree sighting? What is this, 2010?
Old October 16th, 2018, 02:29 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

If you upload the back to back file I can link it for others.
Old October 16th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'll try to do that in the next few days. On my home computer I have files for height 2, 3, and 4 formatted for three to a job (like the shortest falls in the first photo), but my files for the height 5, 6, 7, and 8 falls are just two because the university I work for has a 30g limit for personal print jobs. I can do three-ups for all of them, which will probably be more useful for folks here.

I also want to check and make sure srmalloy's ok with folks posting derivative work from his files. I want to be clear, this is all his work. What I've done is basically like changing the margins or font on a Word doc.
Old October 16th, 2018, 03:12 PM

shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree View Post
This is because as the print head moves up and prints each successive layer it sometimes leaves a little strand of plastic as it moves from one object to the next.
3D printing is my favorite thing to do lately so I’ll take any chance to talk about it. This might be fixable. I’ve been playing with my retraction and extrusion settings lately and getting much better results. Also if you use Cura there’s an option to “retract at layer change” that might help. I’ve been having problems with the pieces breaking easily so I upped the temp to 220 degrees, so turned extrusion down to 95%. Retraction is set at 6mm (Ender 3, so settings may not apply). And I think I upped the print speed a little too, it was leaving pimples when the hot end was touching for too long, think I’m up to around 35 mm/s. I’m still getting some stringing, gotta tackle that next, but the layers have been very smooth and even. Have you messed with any of those settings to try and tweak it?
Old October 16th, 2018, 03:24 PM

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elstree View Post
This is because as the print head moves up and prints each successive layer it sometimes leaves a little strand of plastic as it moves from one object to the next.
3D printing is my favorite thing to do lately so I’ll take any chance to talk about it. This might be fixable. I’ve been playing with my retraction and extrusion settings lately and getting much better results. Also if you use Cura there’s an option to “retract at layer change” that might help. I’ve been having problems with the pieces breaking easily so I upped the temp to 200 degrees, so turned extrusion down to 95%. Retraction is set at 6mm (Ender 3, so settings may not apply). And I think I upped the print speed a little too, it was leaving pimples when the hot end was touching for too long, think I’m up to around 35 mm/s. I’m still getting some stringing, gotta tackle that next, but the layers have been very smooth and even. Have you messed with any of those settings to try and tweak it?
Unfortunately I don't have any control over any of this. I submit the file through a webpage, then pick up the finished product about five days later when the university's 3d print lab gets around to my stuff. (Personal print jobs understandably have lower priority than those submitted by students for classes.)

I'm just using Cura as a very basic editing tool for rescaling, duplication, rotating, and repositioning. I have to save the file in makerbot format before submission because the university's machines are Makerbot 5th Gens. About the only things I have control over are whether to use rafts, supports, and what color filament I want.
Old October 16th, 2018, 04:12 PM

shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker shaolin knows what's in an order marker

Booooo university! Lol

In that case, some pointy tweezers and an emery board are probably all you can do. That’s what I’ve been using to clean up the bumps from the strings as I play with the settings. Pull ‘em off and file ‘em down.

Last edited by shaolin; October 16th, 2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old October 17th, 2018, 02:11 PM

I uploaded some pictures of the waterfalls in action. The first shows them with traditional HeroScape figures. The second to shows how different figures and scenery completely change the perceived scale. (Note the rough surface on the tallest waterfall, which I have yet to clean up. This is what happens if you print that side facing another tall object. Compare it to the surface of the medium waterfall, which was printed back-to-back with another the same height.)

(Clicking on an image should take you to the gallery page where you can view the original image.)
Old October 17th, 2018, 03:06 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Some of us have been talking about a giant sized scape project where the scale of 1 hex is based on hundreds to feet rather then less then 10 feet. That second picture you posted seems to be right in the same scale range we've been talking about. Stop by and share your thoughts and custom terrain some time.
Old October 17th, 2018, 08:14 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

That stuff looks great @Elstree . I actually like them next to regular scale heroscape. They are more like little streams and fountains rather than raging waterfalls, but I like how it looks.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 17th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Those are gorgeous, elstree! Please come to the tournament on 11/3 and bring them! And also bring bunjee!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 24th, 2018, 12:38 PM

Quick question: Has anyone tried printing srmalloy's flat-topped "tree base" tiles from thingiverse, the ones found here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1789245

(Note, they have to be rescaled to 10% size for most software, but that's not the problem.)

I printed a set out (at least up to those no larger than four hexes - the most I can print for free at my university). On a flat surface of heroscape tiles they fit great - there's a little bit of extra tolerance, so they slide around just a hair but that's not really a problem.

The problem is the lip around the edge is too wide and extends into the gutter such that they can't be placed adjacent to regular tiles. That is, you can't place them against "cliffs" or other elevated terrain. (Well, you can get one edge up against another tile, but two or more and it won't fit any longer.)

I was hoping someone might have already fixed the problem and have .stl files to share. I installed Blender with the thought that I might try editing the files myself, but to say Blender has a steep learning curve is an understatement.
Old October 24th, 2018, 02:00 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I think @TREX has been tacking models onto a tree base.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing