Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:08 AM

josh-n-papa Woo who?
Traveling base molds

I am ready to send out version 3!.
As we all know from back on HQ, I made a set of plastic molds to cast bases for customs out of cheap,readily available fiberglass resin.

This is the resin.It costs about $10.95 a can at Walmart or where-ever auto supplies are sold.

You should probably grab an extra tube of hardener for a dollar,you get one with the resin,but I usually needed extra.

The only problem with the first molds was they broke after they got to like the second guy.They were doomed to break,it was a design flaw.
About that time the thread went missing in action because of the server change,so I kept waiting for it to come back before I made a new set.Then HQ died,so I procrastinated a little longer.
Now that it seems we have all settled into our new home,I have finally got around to making a new set-version 3(There was a version 2 but I had a disagreement with it and it does not exist anymore).

Improvements to version 3 include 4 different sizes.large single space,small single space,large double space,and small double space.

Also on version 3, we have kick-out pins!(no more bending to get the parts out )Once the parts are hardened just tap on the pin on the bottom side of the mold and you parts pop right out.The pins usually stay stuck to the part but you can easily snap it loose with your fingers(please do not use pliers on the pins...it will leave rough marks on the pin and tear up the pocket it presses into)

Here is a picture of the molds empty

Here is a picture of the molds with the pins inserted

Here is a bottom view to show how the pins stick out the bottom

Here is what the molds look like full of resin

Fresh molded bases.

There are 32 oz in a quart,and to fill both molds it takes almost 4 oz(maybe someone more careful than me can get by with less)So I estimateyou should get about 32 large single bases,64 small single bases,32 large double bases,and 16 small double bases out of one can of resin.

I don't remeber who was on the list,I think Bad Calvin was next,But I have not seen him around lately.It would be nice if we could retrieve the old list.I intend to send them to Hahnarama first,cause back when the first molds went out I promised him in a PM that if they got lost or ruined I would make a new set.
Hahn! check your PM box!

^^^This post under construction^^^
There are things I like about these new molds and things I don't really care for,I will try to go over them when I edit this post to try write a how-to.I am going to go ahead and click submit anyway and then come back later and add stuff.
josh-n-papa

HOW TO
First of all you need to find a well ventilated place to do this,as this stuff dries and cures it gives off fumes.

Next,you need to lay lots of newspapers down,cause it's messy.

Get youself a measuring cup and put 4 oz. of water in it. Pour the water into whatever you plan to use to mix the resin(the mixing cup that comes with the can is too small)and make a mark with magic marker so you know how full to fill it.Dump water out.Dry mixing cup.I used a plastic drink cup made out of a real flexible plastic,so that I could bend it to get the hardened extra resin from the last batch out.

Now that your mixing cup is ready lay the molds on the table.Firmly press kick-out pins into their pockets until the top of the pin is flush with the bottom of the mold cavity.The skinny end of the pin should now be protruding out the bottom of the mold.If a pin seems unduly loose in it's pocket,try switching it around with one that seems tight.When all the pins are in,you are ready to mix the resin.

To mix the resin,simply pour the resin into your cup to the fill line,and add 11 drops of hardener per oz of resin.We are doing 4 oz.,so we need 44 drops.The amount of drops is not critical,so a few drops plus or minus isn't going to matter.FoeHammer back on HQ,who I felt was pretty experienced with this kind of stuff,said that the resin is very forgiving.He also saidIf you get the hardener in your eyes it will blind youSo it would also probably be a good idea to wear some eye protection........ Stir resin and pour into the molds.
Now this is the part I don't particularly care for,the original molds had tops that made the bottom nice and consistantly flat,but it did not let the bubbles settle out.Without using the tops you have to be real careful how full you fill the molds,if you don't fill them enough...the bottom of your bases will be slightly concave.If you put in too much....the bottom of your bases will be slightly convex.It just comes down too practicing on a couple of batches until you get a feel of how full to fill the molds.
Possibly GrungeBob or Imax can chime in with a more specific method here,cause I don't have an exact science to give you.

Once you have filled the molds to your satisfaction,let them dry for about an hour.Tap on the bottom of the pin with something gently until the part pops out.Try to tap the double base pins evenly,if you only tap only one pin on the doubles it can crack your part sometimes.
Repeat until all parts are out.Most of the time the pin is going to remain stuck to your part.You can get them off by firmly snap the pin sideways with your fingers.Please do not use pliers on the pins because it will leave rough marks on the pin that will tear up the pin pockets.

Clean up the excess hard resin from the molds.You can use a metal putty knife,but please be careful not to damage the mold pockets.If you gouge the insides of the pockets(the part that forms your bases)it is going to show up on your parts.

Repeat the process until you have all the extra bases you need.[/b]
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:16 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Wow! I almost wish I needed more bases! Great work, JnP. It's really great of you to do all this work.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:33 AM

shakey_snake has disabled reputation
yey there back!
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:04 AM

Doustin is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
The originals I got (I think from IMax) were great. I may have to get myself on the waiting list and try my own this time, especially now that it should be a bit easier.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:32 AM

dickflea Woo who?
Oh man those are kick *#$ bases. I wish i had some ideas for custom models.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:16 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
I would love to get my hands on some extra bases, do you trade or sell them. I wish I was able to do that
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:20 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
Skyknight, I have some extra bases laying around. How many do you want/need? Shoot me a PM, or I'm in the chat room right now.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 10:27 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Nice job on the improvements, J-n-P! I thought the originals were great. These newer molds are even better!

Newb.
Old June 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM

josh-n-papa Woo who?
Skynight,I guess I should have explained better for newer members that might not have seen the original thread.I 'm giving the mold to the community.That is why it is called traveling base mold,kind of like a gypsy wandering from member to member.I thought it would be neat to watch them travel around the country.
Any one may use it as long as they agree to send it along to the next guy who wants to use it when they are done.If someone wants to make extras for other members who would rather just pay someone else to do the molding,that's cool.I would however think it extremely "uncool" for some E-Bay bob to set himself up in business on e-bay using the molds I donated to the community.
There was a list on who was next,but sadly it died with HQ,I guess somebody needs to start a new list,not me.After I send these on their way I relinquish all control of them,they belong to the community.Like I said I intend to semd them tol Hahnarama first.I think Bad Calvin was next on the list,but lately he seems to be MIA.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
josh-n-papa (sorry about the publis post)

I just got your PM today. I have tried to reply back to it but I am not sure if it is going through.

E-mail me directly if you can.

Thx,

Hahn

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The ideal of the traveling mold is great - you wait your turn, you get to make some molds, you pass them on like the Sisterhood and their pants. The problem is, some people are A) unable to cast stuff in resin, or B) would rather just pay for a few.

When I had the molds, I made a few batches for people who were in either A or B camps. I made some for Doc Savage, too, but that was just because he kicks ass. When I made them for others, I charged a few bucks for shipping and a little for the resin. I also limited it to something like 2 batches, because I didn't want to profit, and if someone needed more, they just had to pony up and wait for the molds.

So anyway, if anyone just wants a few molds, maybe someone who gets the molds can hook them up. I think I did like 5 bucks for 20 bases, and wouldn't sell any more than that.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
OK just a quick note. I will get my bases done ASAP as soon as I get the molds, sometime next week. I am not sure what the mail schd is for the week of 7/4, but I will mail these on to the next person.

Josh, what is the ratio of resin to hardener? I know G Bob had some issues with bubbles when he tried to make the very first set of molds.

And I have to say these new molds look AWESOME! You put a lot of hard work into them. You R-O-C-K my friend.

GAME OVER Moon Pie!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions