Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old September 3rd, 2022, 01:56 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Dignan's Maps - New Map 9/3/22

That's a very pretty map

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 13th, 2022, 09:30 PM
BBQ-er of Beer Bathed Brats

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!
Re: Dignan's Maps - New Map 9/13/22

Update 09/13/22

Alright, time to crank out another map. As we are getting closer to NHSD over in here in Texas, I'm trying to get a few more maps up and out there. Here is the latest little guy that we've been running over at my place.

Map: Cinder
Date Uploaded: 09/13/22
Requires: 1 RotV, 1 FotA, 1 VW

Dignan's Maps - Dignan's Multiplayer Maps
Competitive Unit Congress
"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old September 14th, 2022, 05:38 PM

Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death! Dignan is hot lava death!

FYI, there was a small error in the Cinder build instructions. I was missing a hex on level 4. Luckily Gamebear caught it. I've updated the file now.

"It doesn't matter how you find the pot of gold, all that matters is that you beat the leprechauns".

Old September 15th, 2022, 01:15 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Awesome looking map, Dignan!

You know, with all the VW maps you have, I'm shocked you can still find more fire-related titles to use!
Old September 15th, 2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post

You know, with all the VW maps you have, I'm shocked you can still find more fire-related titles to use!
Thanks. And yeah, I'm running out of fire-based names. I'll have to start looking elsewhere here soon.

Old September 15th, 2022, 11:19 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post

Thanks. And yeah, I'm running out of fire-based names. I'll have to start looking elsewhere here soon.
Ember's Cross
Flame Spike
Sons of Fire (My bloodbowl team name)
Flickering Glow

Still a bunch to finish...you need more just ask!

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; September 15th, 2022 at 11:19 AM. Reason: I can do map names...just not very good maps.
Old September 25th, 2022, 05:20 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Would you mind if I remix Cage Match at some point?
This is my attempt to address the objections of the WoS judges (below) to Cage Match
Spoiler Alert!

TL;DR:
  • "this level 3 platform is too easy to hold... it’s too easy to block the level 3 platform access from your opponent"
  • "Thorian doesn’t apply to special attacks. So the screen + special attackers armies will have the advantage in pretty much any machup, and all they do is to stay on the platform."
  • "The biggest issue with the map is the two single-spaced dips in the road to level 2 - and, to a lesser extent, the two double-spaced dips on the other side."
  • "... the Thorian glyph [is] a very matchup-dependent glyph in addition to being very powerful"
--

To address these issues I raised the road so that is level 3 all the way around the entire map. I also removed Thorian and Astrid as hard-coded glyphs for the map, suggesting they be replaced with other strong glyphs instead. I also removed the swamp water dip along the outside edge of the map, making it easier to go around the sides.

As part of making the road level 3 all the way around, I also removed the level 4 road on the outer edges and replaced it with a single hex on level 4 in the middle of a 7-hex shape of road and sand.

To implement the various level-raising changes I did have to bring in a couple of extra 2-hex snow tiles. These are placeholders--I imagine most collections have some extras, since I know there were some waves that included extra tiles in booster packs. If no extra tiles are available, I believe that some leftover wall bases (of which this map leaves several) would also do the trick.

Finally, I removed a few battlements and added multiple ladders to make the map easier to traverse for melee armies.

--

We'll be using this version at our next several events to see how the changes play out. I did use a similar version at our previous event and liked the way the changes felt while staying true to the spirit of the map.

If @dok or @Foudzing would care to comment on these changes, I would appreciate their feedback.

--

But first, what do *you* think, @Dignan ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cage Match Redux by Dignan and caps (w ladders).jpg (1.13 MB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Cage Match Redux by Dignan and caps (w ladders)-2.jpg (1.16 MB, 131 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cage Match Redux by Dignan and caps.pdf (399.3 KB, 12 views)

--
--
--

--
Old September 26th, 2022, 08:52 AM

Man, that looks pretty good. You've really taken their feedback and found good solutions with the map. It looks like you have kept the original idea behind the map intact and made it for fair from a tournament perspective.

Cage Match was always more of a novelty map from my perspective. I enjoyed it, but I knew it wasn't going to be for everyone. It's glyphs and arrangement were going to keep it a little too spicy for the average event and some matches would just fizzle. I really like how you've worked to make this map more universally consistent in its play. The only thing that is a possible negative is the glyph change. If you don't ensure that the center glyphs are the most powerful, the action on the edge could pull too much and lead to some less than stellar game play.

Otherwise, great job.

Old September 26th, 2022, 11:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I really love the novelty of this map and I hope these changes make it good enough to start seeing regular tournament play. I really like seeing the bounds of what can be a tournament map pushed. Along the same lines it was Grutsbane Pass that inspired me to make Thaw, and I'll be playing around with that concept some more in the future.

I'll add a note about putting the strongest glyphs in the center of the map to the build instructions.

--
--
--

--
Old December 6th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Would you mind if I remix Cage Match at some point?
This is my attempt to address the objections of the WoS judges (below) to Cage Match
Spoiler Alert!

TL;DR:
  • "this level 3 platform is too easy to hold... it’s too easy to block the level 3 platform access from your opponent"
  • "Thorian doesn’t apply to special attacks. So the screen + special attackers armies will have the advantage in pretty much any machup, and all they do is to stay on the platform."
  • "The biggest issue with the map is the two single-spaced dips in the road to level 2 - and, to a lesser extent, the two double-spaced dips on the other side."
  • "... the Thorian glyph [is] a very matchup-dependent glyph in addition to being very powerful"
--

To address these issues I raised the road so that is level 3 all the way around the entire map. I also removed Thorian and Astrid as hard-coded glyphs for the map, suggesting they be replaced with other strong glyphs instead. I also removed the swamp water dip along the outside edge of the map, making it easier to go around the sides.

As part of making the road level 3 all the way around, I also removed the level 4 road on the outer edges and replaced it with a single hex on level 4 in the middle of a 7-hex shape of road and sand.

To implement the various level-raising changes I did have to bring in a couple of extra 2-hex snow tiles. These are placeholders--I imagine most collections have some extras, since I know there were some waves that included extra tiles in booster packs. If no extra tiles are available, I believe that some leftover wall bases (of which this map leaves several) would also do the trick.

Finally, I removed a few battlements and added multiple ladders to make the map easier to traverse for melee armies.

--

We'll be using this version at our next several events to see how the changes play out. I did use a similar version at our previous event and liked the way the changes felt while staying true to the spirit of the map.

If @dok or @Foudzing would care to comment on these changes, I would appreciate their feedback.

--

But first, what do *you* think, @Dignan ?
Hello @caps ,your remix looks very good, I kinda want to review it again but I have no scape anymore and can only play online soi I need to do the top-down view etc...
If you are up to do some online playtesting hit me up!

Old December 6th, 2022, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
Hello @caps ,your remix looks very good, I kinda want to review it again but I have no scape anymore and can only play online soi I need to do the top-down view etc...
If you are up to do some online playtesting hit me up!
I am planning to upload this map to my own map thread soon (with credit to @Dignan , assuming he gives his blessing for me posting it there) along with the .hsc. Right now the remix has nowhere to "live" so unless Dignan wants to post it here in his thread I think that makes sense.

I've never made an overhead before but I know that when you have the .hsc it is fairly straightforward? If you don't want to do it perhaps we could ask someone like superfrog to do it?

I'm glad you like the look of it!

--
--
--

--
Old December 7th, 2022, 09:12 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
I've never made an overhead before but I know that when you have the .hsc it is fairly straightforward? If you don't want to do it perhaps we could ask someone like superfrog to do it?
Neither did I, but I think it's pretty much just take a top-down screenshot, place the numbers and save as an image.

Yeah maybe, or maybe superfrog is bothered by other stuff I dunno.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios