Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old August 5th, 2022, 12:24 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Heroscape 2nd Edition is here!

Eh, I think people are entitled to like what the like and want what they want, especially when it's their money involved.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old August 5th, 2022, 12:31 AM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A lot of people got into the original game (myself included) because the minis looked so cool and were ready to go right out of the box. Heroscape was definitely a stepping stone into other games that require more effort and preparation overall.

Already into the hobby now, I have no problem painting, but it will lose some of the broader appeal the original had. Of course I'm not complaining, I know the cost would go up immensely nowadays if it were prepainted and I am certainly not wealthy.
Old August 5th, 2022, 12:37 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahnarama View Post
Well if I could figure out how to upload pics without having a hosting site I have the ultimate picture form today featuring your beloved CVN
Maybe you can get Geeksquad to help you out.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old August 5th, 2022, 12:39 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

For hosting, I use a personal discord server.
Old August 5th, 2022, 01:11 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

I asked this in the CvN thread, but maybe someone here would know an answer as well:

Unpainted minis are one thing, but I REALLY want to know:
is this still going to be the battle of all time???

That concerns me more! The pictures from GenCon don't excite me the way that Rise of the Valkyrie box did way back when. Are there going to be iconic not-heroes the way Syvarris was not-Legolas and the Krav Maga were not-Matrix? Are there going to be historical units? That was the real magic of HeroScape for me, and I find it incredibly impressive how C3V has managed to keep the three pillars of HeroScapeGenres (Fantasy, Scifi and History) going and even expand on it to include more (like horror), even though they only work with a limited selection of painted miniatures from other games.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old August 5th, 2022, 01:18 AM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
I asked this in the CvN thread, but maybe someone here would know an answer as well:

Unpainted minis are one thing, but I REALLY want to know:
is this still going to be the battle of all time???

That concerns me more! The pictures from GenCon don't excite me the way that Rise of the Valkyrie box did way back when. Are there going to be iconic not-heroes the way Syvarris was not-Legolas and the Krav Maga were not-Matrix? Are there going to be historical units? That was the real magic of HeroScape for me, and I find it incredibly impressive how C3V has managed to keep the three pillars of HeroScapeGenres (Fantasy, Scifi and History) going and even expand on it to include more (like horror), even though they only work with a limited selection of painted miniatures from other games.
I'm assuming that the plan is to do multiple genre just like classic Heroscape, the figures in this new set already lean in that direction with the sci-fi gorilla, the tree person as fantasy, and what looks like a pirate type character so I think we're heading in a good direction especially once more expansions come out to pad out the roster
Old August 5th, 2022, 02:06 AM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Has there been any mention of a wash being applied to the miniatures? I can understand the decision to have them be unpainted. The inclusion of a wash would help bump up the visibility of the detail on figures, as well as add to the quality of presentation overall. The wash was one of the inclusions that helped to further set Heroscape apart from other pre-painted games on the market when it was initially released.

.:: .H3X.™ | aka, PushesPixels :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old August 5th, 2022, 03:39 AM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

Here's my two cents as a heroscaper who paints a lot of their own dolls for the game.

I think it's overall a neutral thing for the game, and can be done in a way that gives some amount of satisfaction to everyone.

CON: out of the box is much less exciting

PRO: cost is much lower and makes the game accessible to the wider community.
If you would pay a premium for painted minis, you can still do that by commissioning an artist.

Possible CON: it's hard to distinguish between minis from a distance when they're unpainted.
This is my biggest concern because I know there will be plenty of people who don't want to bother with a paint job at all, and it could possibly cause issues with general playability especially at tournaments.
This can be avoided by using different colored plastic based on faction/unit type and also by making sure each sculpt has a distinct silhouette. If this is done well, I can see that turning this from a bad situation to an OK one.

Possible PRO: because the figures are unpainted, this could mean that the sculpts are higher quality/more detailed; a possibility that a painter like myself is very excited by!
The original heroscape figures are all quite chunky, and the models we've seen look a lot more refined to me. This could be seen as a downside if you like the cartoonish feel for heroscape more, but I think that intricately detailed models are a lot more fun and cool.

If you're hesitant about painting but aren't completely opposed to it, I encourage you to try it out and be bad at it. You can always undo paint! You might be surprised at how easy it is to make a decent looking doll with a spray can of primer, one or two colors, and a black or brown wash.

If you don't have the funds to pay an artist for a full commission, I doubt you would have the funds to pay for what a pre-painted set of this would cost. And this scales with the complexity of the commission, you can pay an artist to do the primer, 2 color, wash method and they'd likely be just as happy that you're hiring them lol!
Old August 5th, 2022, 04:03 AM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
I collect a lot of Hasbro products (Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, GI Joe Classified, HeroQuest revival.)

One thing I have noticed they do is selling something as a normal release, then having a jazzed up version as an exclusive later. An example is the GI Joe Zartan figure, he was sold as a normal figure in the regular line. Then as an SDCC exclusive, they sold a color changing version with extra accessories.

Its possible that the glowing lava is a feature like that, it may be something that is sold in a deluxe or exclusive set, then regular versions come with not glowing tiles.

Or it could just be a mock up for the announcement at the trade show and none of us will get glowing lava unless we customize it.
Interesting considerations, but I cringe at too much exclusive stuff. The old Gencon exclusives were fine because they were few, and Walmart and TRU stuff was decently stocked, but when I think Joe Classified I cringe a little.

Since the closing of Classic Scape years ago, I slowed my game collecting a little and shifted my plastic crack addiction to recollecting vintage, and then modern action figs--along some of the same lines you collect (add in Masters of the Universe too).

So with that in mind, I am hoping more of the easy access model HeroQuest is leaning towards, and not limited exclusive--direct and plentiful Pulse exclusives, fine, but not any kind of chase exclusives.

On average I was dumping about $300 per wave release during the Classic Scape retail days...especially when House Mouse was around, and when I had a really good FLGS (which is no longer in business).

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

Hymar's_Temple
1moreheroscaper's_Customs
War_of_the_Great_Wellspring
Old August 5th, 2022, 04:13 AM

1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby! 1moreheroscaper rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hextr1p View Post
Has there been any mention of a wash being applied to the miniatures? I can understand the decision to have them be unpainted. The inclusion of a wash would help bump up the visibility of the detail on figures, as well as add to the quality of presentation overall. The wash was one of the inclusions that helped to further set Heroscape apart from other pre-painted games on the market when it was initially released.
I think the wash would be good as a minimum, like they do with the Unmatched miniatures. But I am also wondering is different plastic colors, matching the general colors (and similar to Arena of the Planeswalkers) plus an ink wash would be even better for differentiating figures during game play.
I come from the early HeroQuest days, and I really liked how simple color coding was used for monster types. Classic Scape obviously spoiled me with pre-painted, but I think just gray miniatures may be too bare-bone for the new-player ease that a game like HeroScape lean towards.

Hymar's_Temple
Old August 5th, 2022, 05:12 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun

I’m going to speed paint these these with contrasts and be done in about 3-4 hours with the Master Set and the paint jobs will still be better than original Scape.
Old August 5th, 2022, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
I’m going to speed paint these these with contrasts and be done in about 3-4 hours with the Master Set and the paint jobs will still be better than original Scape.
I agree that the original Scape painting standards were not on the serious hobby-gamer level.
I mainly did my 4th edition Talisman figures to a Scape standard of basic colors and a quick ink wash.
My only real issue--if I get hung-up on needing them painted, will be finding the time to paint high quantity squads. At my insane squad collecting zenith, I was getting 8-10 squads of lower point commons (like Orcs, Venocs, or Romans), for epic battles.

Hymar's_Temple

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion