Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old May 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 05/13/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBear View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
My first thought is that you might want to make that a fixed glyph. If the glyph isn't something valuable it cuts down on the strategic depth of the map.
Definitely. Temporary glyphs and situational permanent glyphs are questionable choices for this map. The standard RotV glyphs seem suitable, particularly Astrid and Gerda. Wannok is probably the best choice from SotM.

Mapmakers should always make an effort to provide glyph recommendations. I have been less diligent recently, partly because I find myself repeatedly suggesting certain glyphs. Wannok is almost always my preferred SotM glyph.
I don't think there's anything wrong with suggesting the same glyphs over and over, as long as there's a clear purpose to it. In a map like this one, or Turret Rocks, where one side of the map is clearly preferable to the other, the "enticing" glyph basically has to be Gerda, Astrid, Wannok, or a similar powerhouse glyph, or it's not going to matter. The same goes for a "no man's land" middle ground glyph, like the glyphs on Badru Valley or Swamp thing.

On the other hand, if you're talking about glyphs on a rotationally symmetric map, where there's lots of good spots and you just want to put more of the map in play, lesser glyphs like move or initiative work well. Random glyphs can also work in these spots, although if one comes up Oreld and the other one comes up Gerda, you're going to end up with the entire battle centered around the stronger glyph. On some maps, specific weaker glyphs end up being key. For instance, I eventually landed on Rannveig and Valda for "swamp helix", because these glyphs balanced out the map's natural slant toward fliers and fast figures.
Old May 18th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 05/13/09

Did you nominate have a map for the GenCon contest Gamebear?

I would say healing waters would be a good choice!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
New map: Radiator Springs. 1 MS + 1 VW
Glyphs: 2 random

Here is my latest attempt at a lava map; that terrain set continues to confound me, but I had fun constructing another asymmetric map.
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 05/19/09

Radiator springs looks pretty slick though. It's like Badru Valley meets Hot Heights... with a little asymmetry thrown in.

I'm a huge sucker for lava maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 19th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 05/19/09

Can't wait to give it a try!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:21 PM

jameswards16 is surprisingly tart
Re: GameBear's Maps

You are the best map designer ever.

It is just that simple.

Never stop making maps!

-- James
Old September 15th, 2009, 01:52 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thank you for the compliment, jameswards16. I will probably try to come up with a couple more maps after the rules for the shadow tiles are revealed.

I have uploaded a new version of Dvalin's Furnace that does not include the wind glyphs. I still like the idea of a map that incorporates wind glyphs, but this map may work better without any glyphs at all.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: GameBear's Maps

Is the only change between versions the add/remove of the paired Wind glyphs, or did the map change slightly as well?

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old September 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM
The Silent Cartographer

I added another water hex next to each end of the road, and repositioned the upper 1-hex and 2-hex lava tiles. The changes are minor, but hopefully improve the map ever so slightly.
Old September 25th, 2009, 11:47 AM
The Silent Cartographer

New map: Ratcatcher. 1 MS + 1 TJ
Glyphs: none

Small maps are certainly popular these days, but I decided to have some fun stretching the terrain again. This map is still pretty narrow and easily fits on half of a standard (30"x72") table.

Ratcatcher attempts to slow down figures with 6 move. Single-space figures with 7 move (Gorillinators, Vipers) and double-space figures with 8 move (Templar, Hounds) should fare relatively well.

EDIT 12-01-09: The PDF file has been updated - the jungle terrain has been rearranged to relieve congestion.

Last edited by GameBear; December 1st, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: GameBear's Maps - New Map 09/25/09

Heh, cute title.

It's really hard to make an anti-rat map. Even with what you've done, I think that with water on one side of the starting zone and height on the other, that might help funnel traffic towards the middle. With the jungle occupying more spaces, and the ruins doing the same, there might still be some chokepoints that the rats are adept at clogging... although it will take them time to reinforce those positions. If you toss Raelin on the three-hex high ground on your side, she can overlook the middle and help you have 6- 7 (jungle) defense rats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The Silent Cartographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I think that with water on one side of the starting zone and height on the other, that might help funnel traffic towards the middle.
That is definitely a possibility. Note that the middle is also raised, though; figure can advance one space further in the middle, but still cannot climb on the 1st order marker with less than 7 move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
With the jungle occupying more spaces, and the ruins doing the same, there might still be some chokepoints that the rats are adept at clogging... although it will take them time to reinforce those positions. If you toss Raelin on the three-hex high ground on your side, she can overlook the middle and help you have 6- 7 (jungle) defense rats.
My hope lies in the number of order markers needed to set up this army. Rats need 2 order markers to climb onto the raised area, and realistically need a 3rd order marker to effectively clog the map. Raelin also needs an order marker to get into position. The offensive figures will still be on level 1 after their 1st order marker, which means they will not be able to attack from even ground until order marker 6, and will not be able to attack from height until Round 3. All of that is without considering reinforcements.

This may be wishful thinking, but I am hopeful that a more offensive army could establish a fairly dominant position in that much time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios