Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old January 14th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Desert fuel transfer pump station

Photobucket is great. Imageshack is terrible, in my opinion.

Just use the img tags to post the images to the thread. The forums here will auto resize them if the are too large.
Old March 12th, 2009, 11:56 PM

glenn knows what's in an order marker glenn knows what's in an order marker glenn knows what's in an order marker

Here are my first shots at some custom terrain. The desert was flocked with powdered mortor and glue, the facility was carved mostly from blue foam with some weird shaped cardboard for the roof. The facility transformer is a busted relay with scraps. I also stenciled and spray painted some of the hexes.
All the custom jungle pieces were bought cheap at a pet supply store (fishtank terrain) hot glued together. The skull is foam too, its kind of cheesy but it was kind of an experiment to see how it was working with the foam. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I almost forgot...the toxic waste disposal photo's. I'm seriously slipping!

Old March 13th, 2009, 01:57 AM

glenn knows what's in an order marker glenn knows what's in an order marker glenn knows what's in an order marker
Dioneus Gigantus (Feed me Seymore!!)

This was my entry into Speed Custom Contest nineteen.
I'll give a little background on this fella and then move
right into the tutorial.
This plant is a member of the Dioneus Gigantus species.
Its home is Valhalla where the waters of the precious
wellsprings have allowed this normally smaller species to
grow very large. With the ongoing threat of the Marro and
the ravishing of the wellsprings this species of plant is
almost extinct. (Corrections are welcome if I botched the
Heroscape mythology at all)

That said, moving on.
You will notice in my first and a few more of my pics a
shiny knife. Its what I prefer to carve with. Its a normal
kitchen knife sharpened with Emry cloth. (Emry cloth is
the bluish paper used to sand copper joints in plumbing)
Whenever it dulls I just sand it up qick and its razor sharp
again. Yes, razor sharp so be very careful if you use this
method.
First I make a basic oval from blue foam.
Then I began sanding it to the shape of a head. This took a very long time.

Next I cut the grooves for the face. Be careful with that knife!

Now you can begin smoothing it out with a fine grit sandpaper. I used the same Emry cloth though that I had for my knife.

Now the fun part. The leaves were not bought at petco! They were all carved from triangular foam scraps. Always save you scraps. I did this so they would look thicker and tougher.

Hot glue or Elmers them around the head to form a collar.

Now the grooves in the leaves. I used pliers to hold a hot sewing pin and burnt them in. I won't tell anyone to use a hot knife because that would be VERY dangerous.

This part is tedious and time consuming. You must clip the tips off of 30 or so toothpicks and stick them all over his head with a pair of tweezers. Also make holes for the nostrils and glue two small pyramids of foam on both sides if not done already.

Now for his arms. This method could probably produce a great custom tree as well. I just glued together thin lengths of foam scrap. Spikes here and there for claws and spin things. It was all from random scrap. Always save your scrap. I have another closeup of the arms if anyone wants a better shot. The base is just a chunk of foam cut to fit a seven hex. I used the popsickle stick method on the bottom for stationary purposes. Also, all foam pieces were coated with three coats of CVS brand school glue gel. It gave it a nice smooth look for the skin I thought.

Now the neck was four gray spraypainted pipe cleaners. Two blue ,orange, and red interlocked with plastic terrain clovers (Petco). They looked veiny and allowed his head to move around. I eventually glued
plastic terrain in any spot I felt added life to it. Little flowers (Killer plant with flowers, oh the irony) clovers, bushes and little tentacles from the bottoms of floating plastic plants. The painting scheme was not too hard. A black wash for the arms with some pinkish tones and some dry brushing. Base, different green tones and the head was painted after a pic of Audre from LSOH.

There you have it your own little Dioneus Gigantus. I'm not very good at customizing stats and making cards so if anyone wants to help me make one or give me some good ideas on cost,life,attack and abilities it would be appreciated.
Thanks to Leifkicker for letting me in the contest and answering all my annoying questions . Thanks to everyone who voted for me,and thanks for reading my thread.
I leave you all with my favorite pic that I left out of the contest because it REALLY made my living terrain look more like a creature.
Til next time
Glenn

Old March 13th, 2009, 02:03 AM

JakeAndy has disabled reputation

WOW!

Wish i was this talented.

What is blue foam exactly?

I thought of this awesome ability for it.
Say that Anybody walking within 5 spaces of the plant was hit with "mysterious scent" (makes them walk adjacent if possible) then can take a d20 roll to see if it kills the character. I think it would work well on a cluttered jungle board.
Just a thought JakeAndy

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller
JakeAndy's Custom Terrain
Old March 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

That is really cool but its a little BIG.

Good job thought thats really cool.

Old March 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM

A little big..if I get a card made for him it would need a
new size class ! It would prob. say Freaking Enormous
on the card . Hey does anyone know how I can change the
name of this thread? Say..Glenn's customs or something
like that..
Old March 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Blue foam is just 2 inch or so thick foam that is used
in construction for insulation. Its much sturdier than
the green foam used in flower shops for arrangements.
You should be able to find it in big sheets at home depot
or someplace like that. Search the threads on this site for
plenty more information on foam board.
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:56 AM

karl with a k knows what's in an order marker karl with a k knows what's in an order marker

Go to your first post and hit edit, then click advanced and change the title. You can change it as many times as you want.

Old March 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Glenns Customs ( Plant Monster 3/12/09)

The Plant Monster was yours?? Nice, Glenn. You had my vote. Not just for the Mega-flora, but the jungle terrain with which you've surrounded it looks great.

Oh. And the Super Mario Brothers asked for directions to your house. I gave them directions and a Tanooki suit. I hope that's okay.
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM

JakeAndy has disabled reputation

Would the Blue foam be an equivilent to Pink Foam?
JakeAndy

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
Helen Keller
JakeAndy's Custom Terrain
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM

sonlen-a-hand costs too much!

Regarding a power.... er ...ability that you could use for the Dioneus Gigantus , the trick would be too make a power thats not overglorifying. I'll have a go ,Shall I? Here goes: Carnivorous devour- Any opposing unit that moves within (oh i dont know ) 6-7 spaces of the Dioneus Gigantus must roll the 20D. if a 1-13 is rolled , the figure is destroyed/2 wounds if not then the figure is entangled and must not move for a round to cut themselves out. Thats about it . Tell if u like the iDeA. OK
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:49 AM

SpiteoftheDice-
Yah I made a plant monster alright. Thanks for the vote.
I think I actually have a Mario living in the apartment next door.
Hmmm I'm starting to worry.

Jake-
Yah its just like the pink foam. pretty sturdy and hard to
carve without a sharp knife so be very careful if you ever give
it a go.

SonlenaHand-
I like that for a start. It would be tough to determine a fair
and affordable cost for him though. I was definately going to make
his range a 6 though. His whole neck is flexible and can actually stretch six spaces. He would have to have a very low defense though to
balance him as well

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles