Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old July 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Saratoga Slugfest, Post Thread!

100% agree on completing a game as opposed to allowing the snap shot at the time limit to dictate a winner.

What I'm getting at is that if you know going in that you can spend 600 points and your games will be 45 minutes at the most, then using higher valued units is probably a better idea in the interests of playing a complete game.

-insert signature here-
Old July 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
100% agree on completing a game as opposed to allowing the snap shot at the time limit to dictate a winner.

What I'm getting at is that if you know going in that you can spend 600 points and your games will be 45 minutes at the most, then using higher valued units is probably a better idea in the interests of playing a complete game.
Only if your opponent is also thinking like that. I'd be tempted to think "Aha, the metagame is leaning towards high valued units so that gives my swarm army a better chance than it otherwise would." I guess I'm saying that I'd rather the time limit was not a consideration---designate an appropriate time limit for the army size and starting zone limits you want and work from there. I think it was about right on Saturday---there were not that many games, it seemed, that were decided on points.
Old July 14th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

-I'm going to do 600 points next year easily.
-I'm thinking of a Start Zone limit at 35 maybe?
-5 Rounds is a must!
The reason it ended up taking so long, was that we had at least 3 breaks in between! One Pizza/One Cake/ One just random Break, so as you can see it's all Onacaras fault for having a birthday in July!

I really enjoyed the tournament, and figured that TD's never supply their guest with Food and Beverage, so I wanted to do that.

Overall, this kind of felt a lot like a big Game day if you look how everything played out.

i'm thinking of having it in September next year, that way it's nice and cool their, and I can convince my parents that it's a Birthday present!
I thought the starting time was perfect, for everyone setting up. People got practice games in, and they helped set up, which was very helpful.

Ollie, I really like the 300 point tournament, I've been playing a couple of those games lately. You just have to watch out for Q9!

I was wondering how a 3 player tournament would work? If this tournament did anything, it made the North East coast think about diffrent tournament structures!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:11 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan View Post
-I'm going to do 600 points next year easily.
-I'm thinking of a Start Zone limit at 35 maybe?
-5 Rounds is a must!
The reason it ended up taking so long, was that we had at least 3 breaks in between! One Pizza/One Cake/ One just random Break, so as you can see it's all Onacaras fault for having a birthday in July!

I really enjoyed the tournament, and figured that TD's never supply their guest with Food and Beverage, so I wanted to do that.

I'm thinking of having it in September next year, that way it's nice andcool their, and I can convince my parents that it's a Birthday present!
I thought the starting time was perfect, for everyone setting up. People got practice games in, and they helped set up, which was very helpful.
  1. First, yes, keep everything the same. That all worked well, and 35 is a good start zone.
  2. Second, thanks for the food! You actually sped things along by doing that. No one had to wait for someone to get back.
  3. September might be hard for some people, seeing as in summer a lot of people are off of work or school, and things are a lot less hective. Though the cooler weatther would be nice.
  4. I"ll see you there next year
Old July 14th, 2008, 06:38 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Well 600 is fine, id like to be 24 starting zones if it were up to me... no offense, hoard armies are good, but to get matches done in an hour with 30+ figures is a little rough.

Just my Thoughts on that.

I think Andrew S had the smallest army.

DW9000, DW8000, Raelin and Charos, imagine if he played Shades Fan, who had 30 Zombies? Watchout!

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old July 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Saratoga Slugfest Battle Reports
My army:
Microcorps x3
Laglor
Brunak
Rats x2

1st Match
Opponent: Ollie
Map: Surface Tension
Opponent Army: Taelord, Minions x2, Omnicron Snipers x2

This was an excellent match played on a very poor map. (We found out later that they forgot to put the jungle trees on the map for the first round, which is why it was so terrible). Playing against Ollie was a lot of fun and this game was really the highlight of the tournament for me. I tied up his snipers with my rats and blasted away with my range boosted Microcorps and Laglor. I put one order marker on Brunak and attacked a Minion, only to whiff and on the next turn the Taelord/height boosted minion rolled 4 dice and Ollie said, “Four . . . which is Eight.” That was the end of Brunak. Shortly after that, Laglor went crazy and rolled skulls and vydar symbols multiple times and was able to kill Taelord and cripple the army pretty effectively. It came down to 2 Microcorps vs. 1 minion and 1 sniper. A Microcorp Agent was smacked hard by the minion, only to be saved by the stealth armor, and then the minion rolled 0 shields vs. 1 skull and that was all she wrote. This advantage in this game swung back and forth so many times that it was a blast. It easily could have gone the other way. Thanks for a great match Ollie!

2nd Match
Opponent: Kinseth
Map: Badru Valley
Opponent Army: Cyprien, AE, Wolves of Badru x3, Krav

Kinseth is an excellent player. He outplayed me in this one, but some lucky rolls kept me in it and I almost pulled it off. My whole strategy was turned upside down when his AE dropped before the first round. I felt like I had to put markers on the microcorps agents right away to deal with the AE threat. I got lucky and won initiative and killed 2 AE before he had a chance to use them. The other 2 killed 3 agents before I got them. When the Krav moved in, I couldn’t get my rats there and they started doing major damage. I should have forced my rats in, but I chose to shoot it out with them, a very poor decision. Eventually I got one of them, but it didn’t matter because in came the wolves. The wolves were pouncing all over the place and took down Lags (and a few more agents) before I could do much with him. I put my remaining agents in the water and put all my markers on Brunak and charged him towards Cyprien. On Kinseth’s turn, he pounced at 3 agents in the water and failed to kill all 3 (1 whiff, 1 block, 1 stealth armor save) Brunak was able to get Cyprien down to 1 life remaining, but I whiffed on my last chance to hit him, and then a 19 on the chill touch and Brunak was done. That was the difference in the game. Somehow I was able to kill off his remaining 2 krav with my rats that hadn’t been used yet, but Cyprien took care of business and had full health when he killed my last rat. The vamp was the only figure I didn’t take down in the whole tournament. Thanks for the great game Kinseth, and thanks for doing all the scoring for the tournament.

3rd Match
Opponent: Coyote
Map: Diversions?? (I’m not sure if that was the name, but I loved the map)
Opponent Army: Zelrig, Nilf, 10th Foot x3

This map was perfect for my army. Water and height was all easy to get to and all from a good range from his army. I was extremely worried about Zelrig. I sent the rats in immediately and kept tying him up with one or two at a time. He whiffed a lot with his special attack and usually failed to kill any. I used Brunak to carry Laglor to a prime spot and set up the ‘corps to do their worst, and they did. I almost always had height, which meant 4 attack dice with range 9, and if I didn’t I seemed to still manage 2 skulls. Just when in looked like he might get his dragons to deal some serious damage, I won initiative and Laglor went on an absolute rampage. I wish I kept track of how many times I rolled the vydar symbol, it seemed like every time I would get 2 skulls and a symbol. With both dragons dead, I just outranged the 10th foot until they were mopped up. Coyote was a victim of extremely unlucky rolling in this one and in the end I had lost only 2 microcorps and most of my rats.

4th Match
Opponent: Josh ?
Map: ?? I liked this map though. It was one of the maps with jungle.
Opponent Army: Sujoah, Zetacron, Rats x2, Krav, Isamu, Sonlen

I didn’t know what to expect when I sat down across from Josh with this army. I sent my rats in early and had Brunak carry Lags to the center of the map and surrounded him with agents. I was able to take down Sonlen before Josh really had a chance to use him. Zetacron was busy trying to get rats off him while I dealt with the Krav. Eventually, Josh sent his rats in and there were rats everywhere, which was actually kind of fun. In the end, my agents were too much though and Sujoah never really got to do much damage either. I had a lot of fun playing against Josh. He was a smart and respectful kid who was there having a great time.

5th Match
Opponent: Onacara
Map: Ticalla Sunrise
Opponent Army: Parmenio, Sacred Band x2, 10th Foot x4, AE
This was my first time playing Onacara and it was a real treat. I was very worried about the AE, but fortunately for me they didn’t drop for a few rounds. The first 4 or 5 rounds were all Microcorps and Onacara couldn’t get anything to go his way. Then the game shifted and I couldn’t find any shields when I needed them. (I think Onacara may have switched my dice when I wasn’t looking. J ) My luck came back around at the end though and with some lucky rolls I was able to squeak this one out. A look over at the Kinseth/Tim match told me that I actually had a chance to win the whole tournament. Tim and I had the same score, but somehow I beat him in the tiebreaker and I won. From looking at his army and the way he was playing, I think I would have had trouble beating him. We’ll have to face off next time I guess.

Pre-tournament bonus friendly match
My army: Morpheus, Hounds x2, Raelin SotM, Major X17, Kosuke Samurai.
Opponent: Anthony Jr.
Opponent army: Taelord, Concan, Saylind, Raelin, Kelda, Krav
Anthony Jr. played great with a difficult army to use. Major X17 was huge in this game as it prevented the summon/heal combo. The Raelin boosted Samurai came up big too. Overall, I really enjoyed playing this army, and playing Anthony Jr. Thanks for a fun game!

I really enjoyed seeing everybody and I had a blast. Certainly no regrets for doing the 3+ hour drive. Thank you Shades and Kinseth (and families!) for all your hard work in pulling this thing together.
Old July 15th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Actually Surface tension wasn't meant to have jungle on it. i decided to spice it up a little, and add some trees!

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just arrived home after Slugfest. I drove through in one go. It would have been less of a drive if I didn't have a defeated ZOMBIE HOARD dragging me down. I mean, sure, six at a time move, but they only move four (4!), so that's just six moving slowly instead of three.

To make matters worse, I accidentally mixed my zombies in with my regular small and medium figures, and now I just have loads of zombies...

Battle report:
I played with an army of 8*zombies and 3*deathreavers. Winning or losing all hinged on wether my Zombies would engage the enemy troops in round 8 or in round 12, and wether my opponent had any vipers.

It was great meeting everyone again. Shades and family did a terrific job organizing the event and the location was great. I even liked Bob.
I just read through this thread and I agree with Ollie, I would have enjoyed some "goof off" time but was too busy playing because of the huge army I brought. Note that my army required 36 hexes, and I had the biggest army, so maxing the starting hexes to 35 (as suggested by Shades) really doesn't do anything to limit armies...
I think 24 starting hexes is just fine, and I would prefer that to be the hard upper limit. 600 pts was fun. I think we can do with a bit a variation in that area, as every point value brings out different units. And how about ending on a 5 (like 575) for a change, that will definatelybring some units out that are otherwise rarely seen.

Can I also break a lance for adding some glyphs? They add soo much to the game in terms of strategy...

We also really should come up with a way to mark starting zones. I would prefer a starting zone (& glyph) map for every map on the table. There was at least one game where the starting zone hexes where very unclear.

Finally: I had a terrific time, Shades. Thanx for having me over!

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Here's my Slugfest Battle Report:

With the leeway that 600pts gives I wanted to use a unit that's a tight squeeze at 500pts and would use that extra breathing room. I discounted Kato because I thought he would be a common choice (but I don't think anyone used him) and also because the Samurai are not one of my favourite heroscape subgenres. I also built and discarded a Dupuis army, a Glad/Blast army and a Grok Rider army before settling on using the Hive.

I set out at around 8am with Bryon pretty sure that I was going to take Stingers x4 and Drones x4 to accompany the Hive (thanks, Uprising, for being willing to lend me extra Drones). I was thinking about switching out a squad of Stingers for another of Drones and Isamu, or maybe Zetacron or Deadeye Dan to give some longer range, but other than that I was set. I put all of my figures in the car in case of last minute adjustments.

Somewhere around the NY/VT border I made my final choice: Taelord, Minions x2, Omnicrons x2. I genuinely thought that Taelord would shine with those extra points and units to which his support is especially valuable. I've toyed with pairing Taelord with either Omnicrons x2 and the Nakitas or Minions x2 and the Krav Maga at 500pts but my gut, and a couple of decisive defeats, say that he is using too large a fraction of the points at that limit. With the release of Zetacron, perhaps I can try again: Taelord, Minions x2, Zetacron and a squad of Deathreavers could be worth a shot.

The main count against the Hive was a fear of getting bored after a couple of games. I enjoy having tough decisions to make when placing order markers and the Hive army doesn't provide that, and I now find the Stingers relatively dull to play as I think it's almost never a good idea to roll for Stinger Drain.

Anyway, that was my preparation: a heap of Glad/Blast and Laglor theoryscape; a decision to use the Hive---a unit I've never used except in the SotM rogue hive scenario; and, a last minute change to a 600pt version of armies I like that have failed at 500pts. Things were looking good.

Game 1 paired me with Bengi and his army: Microcorps x3, Laglor, Brunak, Rats x2. The map was fairly small with no sight blockers whatsoever. The rats came and engaged me and the Microcorps shot away at my Snipers from 8 or 9 spaces away. I was soon well behind. However, the Omnicrons rallied once the rats had been worked through and then Taelord took enough of the attention to allow the Minions to get up close. I wasn't holding out much hope until the Minions worked through Laglor's lives with only a couple of losses and then one of them rolled four skulls (counting for eight) at Brunak and took him out with that single roll. This left a Minion and a Sniper facing two Microcorps. The Minion took out the first Agent---or so I thought. Stealth armour saved him. The Minion went down next turn and the Sniper soon followed. A great game with bags of tension at the end. Thanks Bengi. It also maintains my record of losing to the eventual winner in every tournament I've been to (unless I'm that winner ).

Game 2 was against Dylan's Dragons: Zelrig, Braxas, Nilfheim and the two 10pt ninjas. This was on Hot Heights, one of my favourite maps but not ideal for my expensive squad figures. However, high-life heroes are what the Minions do best and the map is big enough to not need to worry too much about a Zelrig start zone blitz. The battle ebbed and flowed with Braxas taking down her share of Minions and giving me a couple of tense moments watching her roll acid breath against Taelord, but the Taelord-enhanced Minions proved too much for all three dragons and a couple of turns of Isamu's vanishing antics and anti-Jandar boosting against the Snipers were not enough for Dylan. Considering Dylan is six (or seven?), he is a good player and a great sport---it was a pleasure to play against him. Actually, let me rephrase that. Dylan is a good player and a great sport---it was a pleasure to play against him. There's no need for the qualifier. I think Wizards might have to reconsider that 8+ billing. I now have two scalps from the Onacara family. Anthony Jr, I'm gunning for you next!

Game 3 was against Josh. His army was Sujoah, Sonlen, Zetacron, Krav Maga Agents and Rats x2. I misplayed Taelord horribly in this game. There was a large castle structure in the middle of the map. My plan was to fly Taelord up there on the first move, which I did, and then send the Snipers up along the road attacking on the way and up the ladders to join him and get the boost. My Omnicrons got distracted by the possibility of attacks with height into the start zone, and they took out Zetacron and did some decent damage to Sujoah and Sonlen (Sonlen, with his healing and Minion-killing defence-bypass, was my primary target). I think I got one of the six Snipers to have one shot with Taelord's enhancement before they died. However, I was in reasonable shape. I'd done some damage and a full-health Taelord and the Minions are still quite a force. Now Josh activated the Krav Maga and got two of them in range to shoot at a 4-defence Taelord: three skulls, no shields; three skulls, one shield. Bye-bye Taelord. The Minions got through the Krav and finished off Sonlen leaving me an outside chance with one Minion against a one-life-remaining Sujoah and a bunch of rats. Again, I made a poor move. I could have got myself at least one of first strike or height against Sujoah but misjudged Sujoah's threat range and let myself be attacked on level ground. That was it. I'm still kicking myself about the errors of judgement in this game. I think a more conservative approach could well have prevailed. It'll certainly encourage me to do some proper playtesting next time I want to use an army I'm not fully familiar with. But another great game against another great opponent---thanks Josh.

Game 4 against Joseph was the point at which the Taelord and Deadly Shot/Strike combination began to click. We played on a jungle map without a great deal of height. Taelord moved up next to a tree, and the Omnicrons worked mainly within his aura and with at least equal height and were often next to a tree. Occasionally one would head forwards out of the aura to get a shot with height into the start zone. Joseph's army---Grimnak, Kaemon Awa, and some other heroes I don't recall---fell quickly; there is not much to be done against defence 4 figures (against range) with Deadly Shot at range 7 rolling two or three attack dice. Thanks for the game Joseph; another star of the future.

Game 5 was against Uprising on the same map as Game 4. Uprising had Braxas (probably the best anti-Minion unit in the game), James Murphy and Agent Carr (both good anti-Minioners with the Whip and Sword of Reckoning) and Microcorps x2 (Bengi had taught me to fear these guys). I used exactly the same strategy as the last game. Taelord got to his spot by the tree and the Omnicrons started blasting away. Uprising led with the Microcorp and the Omnicrons got the better of the initial exchanges. Next, James Murphy started coming forward with fire also from the remaining Microcorp. I was most scared of Braxas, so each turn I made sure at least one Omnicron edged forward and shot at her in her start zone with height. I think I put three wounds on her before she was activated. I also timed my order marker switch correctly---something that always pleases me. After a couple of rounds of 1,2,3 on Omnicrons and X on the Minions I switched to 1,2,X for the Omnicrons. The last two Omnicrons died after using the 2, and the Minions started rolling forward. Braxas took out a few, but it was soon set-up so that two minions could attack Braxas from within Taelord's aura and another could attack regularly. A couple of turns of that was enough. The game finished with the last two Minions chasing the remaining running-and-gunning Microcorp around the board for a while, but they caught him up and won the game. It was great to play you at last Uprising after being at a few of the same tournaments. Thanks.

So I finished with a 3-2 record and, because I scored well in Kinseth's system with my wins in completed games and my losses passing the 400pt mark, I finished in 5th place. This means I have a $25 HouseMouse voucher waiting to be turned into another jungle set, and probably a booster or two as well (I know I won't be able to resist spending more than $25 if I'm there anyway). Thanks to whoever brought it for the table, or was it direct sponsorship?

Thanks to Shades Fan, Shades Fan's parents, and Kinseth (and others?) for putting on a great event. The 600pts was an interesting change; I hope we keep varying the point total and other aspects in future tournaments to encourage some different types of army. I really enjoyed seeing and chatting with you all, both longstanding tournament goers and new faces. See you at the next one! (Well, that isn't true because I can't make Islandscape, but I hope to see you at the next one I'm at.)
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Habeo_Bukkit Woo who?

Hello all! I'm Bryon Kershaw from the tournament and just recently got an account here. I'd just like to say I had a blast at the tournament, and thank you Shades for organizing it.

I would just like to chime in that the time limit felt a little tight to me, but I faced down both of the armies which relied on zombies, so that could be a key factor. Shades and I had a great match where I fled onto a small ridge and rained down holy terror and his zombies swarmed ever closer en mass towards me.

I brought an elf army featuring the Wave 8 elves and Morsbane. I had been hoping to add Akorlah to the mix, but wasn't able to get ahold of him ahead of time. I'm looking forward to seeing many of you again at the local tournaments, and it'll be a pleasure facing off against you all again!
Old July 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If I remember correctly, you also had Isamu and K. Gwyn. I remember you managed to ignore K Gwyn for a couple of turns until I pointed it out.

Also, your avatar is cracking me up!
Old July 20th, 2008, 08:36 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Welcome to the site Habeo ...look forward to seeing you at more tournaments...even if it means I have to see ollie again too.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events