Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old August 9th, 2022, 10:48 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!
Cool Heroscape 2 Prediction Thread

What are your predictions for Heroscape 2? Anything from release dates to special attacks.

Some of mine:
  1. Release date will be between 7-13 months from now, targeting a launch tournament at GenCon and/or inventory ready for the holidays.
  2. If a significant number of new players pick up the game, they'll reprint classic figures with new cards.
Reasons: I'm assuming 20-30 units for a typical set + wave. With 10 units partially revealed, I'm guessing they're roughly 1/3 finished. There were about 3 years between the first sets, but we don't know when the second set design and production really began.

Easier to bring a product to market now than 15 years ago, especially when unpainted. All things considered I'm guessing 2 years total for design and production, with 2/3 left to go. Which would match nicely with those target dates.

It would be unfortunate if new players were locked out of units like Raelin, but there is a huge incentive to reprint some units, especially if one rumor is true: they're unpainted. Because of this they can print existing figures (e.g. Ne-gok-sa) that use a choice of a new set of abilities (e.g. Dark Ne-gok-sa) and an old set with no confusion over the figure's painting. This has precedent with the GenCon exclusives and units like Raelin 2. The plastic molds already exist, online retailing is much easier than it was 15 years ago, and it'd be a low-risk boost to the game.

This throws a bone to both old players and new players. Gives access to the OP older units and makes existing old figures that much more usable which builds the playerbase and game.

Any wildcards they throw at us would be great too.

Curious to know what everyone else predicts!

Last edited by TurtleKing99; August 11th, 2022 at 06:47 PM. Reason: grammar
Old August 9th, 2022, 11:14 PM
Gluing The Mask On This Time...

Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby! Scapemaster rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Heroscape 2 Prediction Thread

I don't know how I feel about all the news coming out of the GenCon threads.

I was really excited at the release trailer, but almost all the info I'm reading seems to be the going to direction I don't want to go.

Unpainted Figures, I really dislike this. When I started playing ages ago, everything was nice and colored and painted, and I'm disappointed they don't appear to be continuing that.

Also that the plan is to release as a direct to market hobbyist game instead of trying to go for the big box appeal of the original feels like they aren't planning to maintain the game for any long duration.

I'm reading estimates that the Master Set will be going for $100+ dollars on release, which seems absolutely ludicrous to me. If I remember right, the original Set was $40 and came with a ton of terrain and figures, more than anything else released since.

At such a high price point, I know I won't be able to be able to pick up more than one Master Set, and I don't know if I would even want to if they are that expensive AND unpainted.

Less a prediction and more a hope, I hope they release a bulk "terrain" set that focuses on just putting out a ton of hexes, even if it comes with no figures.

~Those who live by the dice, die by the dice.
Old August 10th, 2022, 12:48 AM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemaster View Post
I don't know how I feel about all the news coming out of the GenCon threads.

I was really excited at the release trailer, but almost all the info I'm reading seems to be the going to direction I don't want to go.

Unpainted Figures, I really dislike this. When I started playing ages ago, everything was nice and colored and painted, and I'm disappointed they don't appear to be continuing that.

Also that the plan is to release as a direct to market hobbyist game instead of trying to go for the big box appeal of the original feels like they aren't planning to maintain the game for any long duration.

I'm reading estimates that the Master Set will be going for $100+ dollars on release, which seems absolutely ludicrous to me. If I remember right, the original Set was $40 and came with a ton of terrain and figures, more than anything else released since.

At such a high price point, I know I won't be able to be able to pick up more than one Master Set, and I don't know if I would even want to if they are that expensive AND unpainted.

Less a prediction and more a hope, I hope they release a bulk "terrain" set that focuses on just putting out a ton of hexes, even if it comes with no figures.
When I look at the heroquest set for $130 it makes me cringe cause I know I wouldn't buy it. They can choose to provide unpainted figures to simplify production, but the price should be reasonable to reflect that
Old August 10th, 2022, 03:59 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

They've now said that they have the first two years of expansions planned out, so no worries about support for now.

* I expect to see them fill out Classic factions C3V has not gotten to. For example, the new Gorilla/Primadon shown could be a leader that powers the Gorillanators up! This may include some old characters prepared but never produced back in the day!

* I expect some new terrain types as well as new characters and rules.

* I expect new scenarios. Nobody has mentioned that yet, but all Master Sets come with more scenarios showcasing the new units and backstory they contain.

* I expect an evolution of the role of the Archkyrie Generals, with more coherency within our seven factions. The first teasers talk about a chronological progress on the world of Valhalla. The first graphic reveal of design sketches show more interspecies cooperation in the new Dawn Raider mercenaries. It seems that some of the more simple types will also gain more sophisticated tech.
Old August 10th, 2022, 07:49 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

I'll play.

We know the minis will be colored and we have a hint they are substantial (not thin like Pathfinder and D&D). We also know we have new factions and AoA will be compatible with classic. The design members from this site include one of the greatest playtesters and I don't think that was an accident. Finally CVN stated there will be squads and this is the battle fr all time.

It looks like we will get some faction merging which s inline with recent trends. I think the other factions lines will be along alignment and goal rather than origin. marauders and hunters rather than Romans and vipers.

I think one of the biggest changes will be maturity. In the time since og heroscape went down boardgames have exploded. The designers involved have even more petigre than before and will offer designs to reflect that. Skirmish games are a full genre now and not nearly as niche as it was. The market is much larger now and 8-12 year olds are not your target audience, this is not a toy anymore. Finally players are more mature and will make more educated purchases and are able to play more complex games do to playing other similar games.

AoA will reflect all this and I expect a more adult centric game with added complexity. I think we will see something that can stand along the unmatched line (replace deck with card and gameboard with terrain). In the end I see this as a mass market lite skirmish game that appeals to casuals who are intimidated by rulers and painting or for hard core wargammers that want something quick and portable they can play at the loacl board game Cafe.

This will be a contemporary game for a contemporary audience. I don't expect to simply get more of the same (like C3V offered) but something new. I also don't expect to get "holes" filled like an aquilla flagberer or valkrill dragon just to satisfy diehards. AH is amining at hundreds of thousands of potential fans not the hundreds of fans on this site. I'll be surprised to see reprints to be honest. They will honor us but not cater to us.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs

Last edited by wriggz; August 10th, 2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old August 10th, 2022, 08:32 AM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

MSRP $19.99 Hero, $34.99 Dragon $24.99 squads

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old August 10th, 2022, 10:05 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

The different target audience comment is interesting to consider. I think it is possible that they drop the basic version of the game.
Old August 10th, 2022, 12:25 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I'll play.

We know the minis will be colored and we have a hint they are substantial (not thin like Pathfinder and D&D). We also know we have new factions and AoA will be compatible with classic. The design members from this site include one of the greatest playtesters and I don't think that was an accident. Finally CVN stated there will be squads and this is the battle fr all time.

It looks like we will get some faction merging which s inline with recent trends. I think the other factions lines will be along alignment and goal rather than origin. marauders and hunters rather than Romans and vipers.

I think one of the biggest changes will be maturity. In the time since og heroscape went down boardgames have exploded. The designers involved have even more petigre than before and will offer designs to reflect that. Skirmish games are a full genre now and not nearly as niche as it was. The market is much larger now and 8-12 year olds are not your target audience, this is not a toy anymore. Finally players are more mature and will make more educated purchases and are able to play more complex games do to playing other similar games.

AoA will reflect all this and I expect a more adult centric game with added complexity. I think we will see something that can stand along the unmatched line (replace deck with card and gameboard with terrain). In the end I see this as a mass market lite skirmish game that appeals to casuals who are intimidated by rulers and painting or for hard core wargammers that want something quick and portable they can play at the loacl board game Cafe.

This will be a contemporary game for a contemporary audience. I don't expect to simply get more of the same (like C3V offered) but something new. I also don't expect to get "holes" filled like an aquilla flagberer or valkrill dragon just to satisfy diehards. AH is amining at hundreds of thousands of potential fans not the hundreds of fans on this site. I'll be surprised to see reprints to be honest. They will honor us but not cater to us.
Okay, let's play. First, I agree with most of what Wriggz says.

Master set will be 10 figures, and we've seen them. All will be unique figures.
Squads will be sold in Waves...possibly 3 set up for the first two years.

Expect a fusion between Ullar and Aquila.
Valkrill will have lost and been incorporated into Utgar.
Possibly make another alliance for two generals into one to leave it as a 4 General game.

The only thing I disagree with from Wriggz is than the mini's will be closer to D&D style instead of the original Heroscape. And painting will hurt the buy-ability for it but I'm sure that's something Avon Hill (Hasbro) already understands and has included in their thoughts.

Looking forward to the master set at roughly $80 USD.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; August 10th, 2022 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Or $1,200 CAD once transportation is included :)
Old August 10th, 2022, 12:44 PM

Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker Tauros105 knows what's in an order marker

I'm thinking 15-20 new figures in the master set. I don't think they would show us all the new figures, but Nadeau has hinted that its not 30 figures. I think price should be 60-80 because 35-40 fixed with inflation is roughly 60 dollars today, and they will definitely be looking for an increased profit margin but have also talked about how accessibility will be a priority. as far as factions and what not goes I have no idea. Can't wait to be completely wrong about all of this lol
Old August 10th, 2022, 12:48 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauros105 View Post
I'm thinking 15-20 new figures in the master set. I don't think they would show us all the new figures, but Nadeau has hinted that its not 30 figures. I think price should be 60-80 because 35-40 fixed with inflation is roughly 60 dollars today, and they will definitely be looking for an increased profit margin but have also talked about how accessibility will be a priority. as far as factions and what not goes I have no idea. Can't wait to be completely wrong about all of this lol

I think 15-20 figures would be a good amount for them to include, that's enough for two people to play together; anything less and it's kind of forcing someone to have to buy an expansion in order to play a decent game for the firs time. I'd be okay with the price range you suggested
Old August 10th, 2022, 12:53 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

If a new Sgt. Drake Alexander unit isn't released within 12 months of the first set, I will eat a Nikita Agent figure.
Old August 10th, 2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
If a new Sgt. Drake Alexander unit isn't released within 12 months of the first set, I will eat a Nikita Agent figure.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion