Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 12th, 2021, 10:14 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I normally don't weigh in during design but here we are.

That is an awesome mini, and the central design is neat but not as fitting. Adding attacks for each kill is neat but it doesn't seem to be this creatures story, since those Arms and Heads look baked in. That is a giant abomination and should have an awesome story to fit.

Joten can throw, Zelrig can clear the map of commons, Marutuk attacks other Giants, Q9 is Q9. All are feared, whereas you will be slowly ramping this Guy up to be a Hyrda before he dies? 8 life / 3 Def will not last long against the commons he craves so I expect you might have disappointing game. I can see the reason for multiple attacks but I'm not sure that is the central theme. Keystone figures like this are actually really hard since they should be really, really cool. What niche are you trying to fill?

As for Mutant, the Heroscapeverse seems to be taking a "Tweeked" human approach. I would reconsider your species here.

Good luck I hope you find a theme that really hooks plays.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 12th, 2021, 10:36 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Some updates that make this guy stand out, thought I would check in for a temperature reading.

Ok, so changes I'm on board with at the moment are:

Remove third ability. (No Issues)
Rename second ability. (Probably just to - > Grafted Arms)
Examine race. (Not really a sticking point, the sculpt is a Dire Troll -> Mutated Troll. I tried mutant because Troll seems to bother some people even though WoTC designed the sculpt to represent that)

As for limbs and faces being baked in. WoTC created the sculpt to represent a Dire Troll from DnD. A mutated troll that is warped by magic, eats other creatures and other trolls and its regeneration ability has gone whack which is why it has additional faces and arms. They are a result of eating other creatures. I would say I'm pretty close to in line with what the company made the sculpt to represent.

I will think about it a bit, there are some good points to examine, I wasn't necessarily worried about how long he would survive in combat because 8 life is a lot to eat through. Things can always be made stronger lol.
Old August 12th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

There is nothing I like about that design other than the mini. If you guys are going to coddle every design that comes through here and pretend it only needs a tweak here or there, you are not being as helpful as the designer - and ultimately the SoV and the canon - needs.

Why is it a mutant? A mutant what? It doesn’t look like a mutated thing. What is this mutant resistance power? Why don’t existing mutants have it? If it’s absorbing everything it kills, why do all the things it’s absorbed look exactly like each other?

That’s just a sample of the questions I have. As I see it, this is a few powers stapled onto a mini to make a card. It does not elegantly express any theme. It is not ready for this thread, in my opinion.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 12th, 2021, 10:45 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

There's nothing wrong with taking design inspiration from what the figure originally was. That's especially true if you are making this from a D&D world, in which case it should have species Troll or maybe Dire Troll. Homeworld is very important here.

But this isn't a beholder or displacer beast or stormtrooper. It does have a look reminiscent of the D&D trolls, but I think you could get away with making this thing something else entirely. An Abomination from beyond, or something. It wouldn't have to be something that absorbs other creatures at all, just a monster.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with wriggz about the overall design. I think the concept could be fun (though I really dislike the name "Multi-Arms Race"). Adding attacks by killing things is unique and fits well enough.
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:04 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Gaining attacks through beserker rage power would be neat as it would compel opponents to run away rather than allow engagement and allow for more attacks against commins

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old August 12th, 2021, 01:07 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Gaining attacks through beserker rage power would be neat as it would compel opponents to run away rather than allow engagement and allow for more attacks against commins
So literally reverse Hydra if I'm picking that up correctly?

I've got a bit to think about, 3 day weekend for me so I'll be able to fo a lot of work and consolidate some ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by Shiftrex; August 12th, 2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old August 12th, 2021, 02:48 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Forgive me if I am posting too many at once, but here are a few customs of mine that I think have potential and would like to hear your thoughts. And please ignore wording errors for now unless crucial to the understanding of the ability.

SHOHR - Huge Water Elemental Unique Hero
Spoiler Alert!

GRISHLOK - Valkrill Warlock
Spoiler Alert!

KRIXATH - Lizardfolk General
Spoiler Alert!

KIRVIN - Utgar Lizardfolk Hero (possibly Kirvin “The Wily” to fit with Corwin, Elaria, Bloodknight
Spoiler Alert!

DZU-TOH - Dzu-teh bonding Hero
Spoiler Alert!

SLIPPERY MAHONEY - Outlaw
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; August 12th, 2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old August 12th, 2021, 03:25 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Yes, that's too many. This thread is to help refine specific designs, not get feedback on a number of things. Also, I suspect few people will take the time to review more than one or two. Doing so takes time and effort.

I'll give some preliminary thoughts.

Shohr
Is this double- or single- based? That matters a lot for a design that is dependent on terrain. If double, the powers should clarify if it needs to be on one space or two. Range 2 on Wave Crush is weird, too weird. He can Wave Crush something on top of a castle wall as long as he can see it. Should be limited like Reach. Needs a new personality.

Grishlok
C3V has tried doing non-bonding Orcs before, and ultimately we were never happy with it. Making him a Champion, similar to Kuthnak, could be interesting, but the special attack is too potent for bonding. I like the reuse of Orc Battle Rush, but it's almost more of a liability on a unit like this. The real problem here is Grishlok just being a non-synergistic medium fantasy hero, which VC is saturated with.

Krixath
Looks like a decent option for a Lizard King. "Battle Fury" as a power name was already used by the Mohicans, for a similar but different power. Here it's almost silly anyway; it's not like this power gives the unit any decision points. He just wants to engage as often and as much as he can anyway, this is just a bonus.

Kirvin
A low-cost Lizard King is interesting in theory, but will probably never see use as such. Pummel doesn't actually do anything since Kirvin only has a single attack. When bonding, the Greenscales get a separate turn after Kirvin's turn completes.

Dzu-Toh
I'm strongly opposed to using this figure as a Dzu-Teh. It (obviously) has too many arms as well as a tail, and lacks the dzu-teh's signature pointy head. Lead the Hunt is dangerous, dangerous territory; Heroes don't bond with Squads because of chaining potential, though that can be sidestepped with order marker reveal language. Still, reverse bonding is, at best, discouraged. Double Assault is not interesting here because Dzu-Toh has no range; just use Double Attack.

Slippery Mahoney
I don't really like Gunslingers breaking the stat mold all that much, but the reduced Range can be justified here, if only to ensure he isn't just "better Guilty." A Coward's Tactics doesn't work rules-wise, because Heroscape does not specify which figure causes damage. This is especially true for auto-wound powers. (If multiple Marrden Hounds are adjacent to a figure, which one causes the Plague wound? Answer, none, because figures don't cause wounds.) If you limit it to attacks it can work, but we've tried to do similar things that can trigger off of special attacks and have run into rules troubles.
Old August 12th, 2021, 04:06 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

How much have these customs been tested? Keep in mind (to all designers) that this thread is for customs that have been tested to the point that you are almost ready to submit to SoV, not for customs you’re at the early stages of designing.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 12th, 2021, 04:25 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for the giving me the time of day and the feedback. Opens up a lot that I hadn’t really considered though most of the recommended changes I can agree with.. some like double assault and the wave crush range being slip ups.
Unfortunately for play testing, I don’t have many options most of the time of people to do this with. I’ll be more careful the next time I drop something here.

The idea for Pummel is meant to be carried on to allow the following green scale warriors turn to potentially be more deadly. Did not know it would be isolated to his turn only, with the wording used.
Old August 12th, 2021, 04:30 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchismaticSounds View Post
Thanks for the giving me the time of day and the feedback. Opens up a lot that I hadn’t really considered though most of the recommended changes I can agree with.. some like double assault and the wave crush range being slip ups.
Unfortunately for play testing, I don’t have many options most of the time of people to do this with. I’ll be more careful the next time I drop something here.
Please don't feel bad! When you have something you'd like me to look at, please just tag me and I'll hop over. I want to support designers working in their own threads; I just don't have the time or energy to monitor that traffic. If you want me, just tap my shoulder with a tag!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 12th, 2021, 05:40 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

You do not need anyone but yourself to playtest.
I imagine most of the judges here solo playtest a lot.
Playtest your designs a lot! You never know what you may learn from different combos and strategies.
I think you will get better consideration if you can show your playtest results.
Good luck.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards