Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 21st, 2020, 09:40 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: Painted Miniature counts

Oh boy uh. Probably almost 80? I sold almost all of those so I'd have to look at my records.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 12:08 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Cool idea TREX

I think I'm at 113 ish if you count the mods I've painted. This includes classic 'scape and vc.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 01:45 AM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

Stopped by my local game shop earlier to get some sealer and purples, now it's time to start my Orchid Spellweaver.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 02:24 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: 900 units with a million more well on the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I've done 6 unpainted minis and recolored 6 prepainted figures. I do enjoy painting though; it's somehow both therapeutic and stressful at the same time. Listening to podcasts helps pass the time.

~TAF
I hear you. I generally rewatch shows like the office and such along with youtube while painting. While most are fun to paint sometimes painting the same sculpt a half dozen times the same way(for some games) gets slightly irritating. Ill put you at 12. Look forward to what else you get into.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 22nd, 2020, 02:29 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Oh boy uh. Probably almost 80? I sold almost all of those so I'd have to look at my records.
Done, starting number is 80. No worries. Its all in good fun. I hope there are many more you get to in the war against grey plastic. When I did my count I only counted what was at my house. Im sure there are easily a few hundred more that are no longer with me.

Old September 22nd, 2020, 02:31 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Status View Post
Cool idea TREX

I think I'm at 113 ish if you count the mods I've painted. This includes classic 'scape and vc.
Absolutely repaints count. I did not go down the rabbit hole of terrain pieces painted or it would be a headache for me to go check out the other room that terrain is stored. Also. Some terrain could be a complete castle while another terrain piece could be a miniature chair. So not the same as figures as much. Sure 1 dragon= 1 zombie but meh.

Old September 22nd, 2020, 02:38 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunaks View Post
I don't mind the standees and there are,I believe, several hundred baddies all together in the game. Using minis would give me a reason to open Castle Ravenloft though.
Yeah. Ive heard castle ravenloft has plenty of great figures to paint. Almost picked that game box up once. I just finished painting up my first batch of toxic zombies. After the paint and matte sealer was dry I added some blood for the blood god paint and as an added touch mixed up some electric green paint with straight floor polish to give them some puss to go with the boils they have. They turned out terrific and nasty looking. Just 24 more to go of the toxic zombies. Im having fun with the modern zcide but cant wait to dive into the bigger monsters of some of my other games.

Old September 22nd, 2020, 04:15 AM

Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker Figure knows what's in an order marker

Blood for the Blood God is fantastic. That sounds awesome, good thing too if you're doing 25. It's like opening a Warhammer army and you have like 5 sprus full of tiny platic pieces that you need just for one beginner army. My buddy doing Nurglings had like 80 minis to paint!
Old September 22nd, 2020, 09:44 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunaks View Post
Blood for the Blood God is fantastic. That sounds awesome, good thing too if you're doing 25. It's like opening a Warhammer army and you have like 5 sprus full of tiny platic pieces that you need just for one beginner army. My buddy doing Nurglings had like 80 minis to paint!
I generally just use cheap walmart craft paint for most of my painting but there are a few things Ill spring for. I always color prime my models with whatever color is on the majority model using rustoleum or krylon spray paints. Cheap spray paint will ruin your models but I dont bother buying more pricey army painter spray paint and the like. At about 4 bucks a can, rustoleum hits the sweet spot when Im doing whole armies in that particular color base. Ive bought the army painters quickshade a few times but have also picked up other colors of miniwax polyshades. The trick with any of these that I like to use is not too long after they are applied I wipe the areas that you would highlight with a qtip dipped in mineral spirits to shade the model a little better. I would pick up paints such as blood for the blood god and nuln oil as well but not spend the extra money on all the expensive colors. Some are worth spending the money on and others not so much in my opinion.

Old September 22nd, 2020, 09:58 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Blood for the Blood God is good fun. Lasts forever too since you generally don't use much at a time!

I've been painting on and off for probably close to 12 years or so. One of the best decisions I ever made was tossing my craft paints and picking up Vallejo. Decisions like this obviously vary person to person and depends on your goal as a painter though. If you want to speed paint everything and just have your table not be gray, go for whatever's cheapest. If you want to enhance your skills and make models look as good as you can, then get some dedicated hobby paints. Like I said my favorite is Vallejo, but it doesn't really matter what paint you get, as most of the bigger brands are great quality, they just might behave differently from each other, which is something that practice and time would easily help. I also have some P3 and Citadel paints (Citadel shades are fantastic, especially).

I use the Citadel black and white spray primers, those are leagues above any other spray primers I've tried. I also use Gesso as a brush on primer in winter occasionally, but I don't like how thick it ends up being.

(Oh, and that 50 count you gave me is just for this year, if that wasn't obvious. I couldn't even guess how many in my lifetime )
Old September 22nd, 2020, 10:25 AM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
I generally just use cheap walmart craft paint for most of my painting but there are a few things Ill spring for.
I could highly recommend the Army Painter Mega Paint set when it goes on sale again. It's currently $150 but includes 60 paints. I snagged one for $110 on sale and I used almost every color so far. It really helped with quarantine painting.

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!
Old September 22nd, 2020, 02:22 PM
"like" happy

Back in my earlier days of painting I did buy some of the dropper bottles of paint. I chose to go the way of craft paints( for the most part) because of a few reasons. I agree that the pigment quality and overall paint quality is better, but on average colors I can make craft paints work well by thinning them a little.
- cost per quantity-I can get 10x the paint or amount of colors with craft paint. The bottles are twice the size of citadel pots.
-multi purpose use- I paint a bunch of terrain as well and would never use the expensive stuff for it. Also when my kid and her cousins want to craft I dont have to stress over them knocking over a 5 dollar bottle of paint.

Ultimately the two types of paint do the same thing. There are exceptions to the rule. I will gladly buy glazes, inks, and washes of those types of brands because they do something different than the average paint and do it well. For instance, the newer contrast paints look great, and act as a thicker type wash. The technical paints are also great in my opinion because they create different affects than normal paint.

Lastly, Ive seen many paint jobs that look horrible that were painted with high quality paint, and seen many great paint jobs that look great using craft paint. Most of mini painting is reflected from the skill of the painter. My stuff wont win awards, but will look great while playing with it, even if someone picks up one of them to look at it closely and says wow, these look so good. In short, just because I use the majority of craft paints, doesnt mean my painting is garbage. If anyone is following this wondering what is a good fit for you, go with your gut and try things out. If you get a couple bottles of each you can try them all out for yourself.

@Lord_Pyre, its all good. I know my mini painting total is off as well. I just counted what is currently at my house. Im sure it is a few hundred shy of what it really is. Ive painted so much stuff Ive given away. Feel free to make a guess and update it. This thread is about getting excited about your progress and what you get into painting next.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General