Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old March 6th, 2007, 11:19 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
You were too lazy to do that, but not too lazy to make that post?

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:56 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Recently, a friend and I won a set of incredibly awesome battle mats at the Texas Team Tournament. We've had few chances to try them out and I thought you might enjoy the pics:

We start with Desert Crossing. Two 1,000 point armies lined up on a mostly flat map whose major features included an oasis and the ruins of an ancient city.

Side view. Also included were 2 +2 Move glyphs and 8 hidden glyphs: 4 artifacts which did nothing, 2 healing glyphs, and 2 curse glyphs. By our house rules, whoever steps on the curse glyph rolls one undefendable die against themselves in addition to the normal effect.

I brought Blastatrons and a few marro while my friend drafted an all-orc melee army. Play ended up concentrating around the ruins where he could best limit my gladiatron's engagements and hinder my blastatron's LOS. I managed to score both move glyphs early and position myself well despite this.

Later we used the water map to create a 3-way free-for-all we called Monkey Island. My friend's game room prominantly features monkeys of all sorts which we decided to incorperate into the map for asthetic purposes. The mats allowed to create islands of all sizes with ruins and pillars sticking up out of the water. Probably the sunken city of whatever civilization built the primate monoliths.

At the top of 6 pillars we put down artifact glyphs which served as teleportation pads. By placing a figure on the pad, you could teleport to any other unoccupied pad. This ended that character's movement. Consequently, play was all over the map. As always the team that won the map was the last team to start fighting, mopping up the results of previous skirmishes.

The mats are really, really cool. We've noticed however that the hexes are ever-so-slightly larger than their real counterparts. While this isn't noticable if you're only building small structures on the mat, it becomes a big problem after about 10 hexes. So we've been forced to limit their use to maps with huge footprints and limited structures.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Zombie Island

Zombie Island

Secret goverment experiments gone awry, oh noes! Team up with or against your friends to find information, a potential cure, or devastating traps while racing the dead. No, it's not Far Cry, it's Zombie Island!

Build Notes: Built your map however you want. In my first attempt (depicted below), I used a mostly square map with a single beachhead. Players were forced to channel through a narrow canyon to get access to the glyphs. In hindsight, I would have rather created a circular map with multiple beachheads.

Setup: Players draft 300 points worth of human-only heroes with a maximum range of 1. Deploy on a single 7-hex tile unattached to the map. The first player to win initiative may attach his tile anywhere along the water but may not touch any other type of tile (including the other "boats").
-- Deploy your zombies randomly across the map but not within 6 hexes of any water space. We happen to have 6 squads of zombies, but I suppose you could really use any figure to depict them.

Speical Rules:
- After each player's turn, that player takes a turn with the zombies. A player may not activate any zombies within 3 spaces of his own figure. All normal rules apply to these figures but they also gain the following Special Abilities:
----- Zombie Plague: If a human hero is wounded by a zombie, place a marker of your choice (black, brown, purple, whatever you have handy) on the card. That hero is now infected with Zombie Plague. At the end of each round, place a blood marker on that hero. If this kills the hero, it becomes a Zombie Hero at the beginning of the subsequent round.
----- Nothing Can Stop The Horde: At the end of each round, the last player in the round rolls a single attack die. If a skull is rolled, that player deploys two destroyed zombies back onto the board next to any hidden glyph. If a shield is rolled, redeploy only 1 zombie. If a blank is rolled, no zombies are returned to the board.
- Zombie Hero: Any hero killed by a zombie or its plague becomes a Zombie Hero. Units killed during a round are left on the map to incubate. Place a marker of your choice (again, whatever color or type you have handy) on that figure at the beginning of the subsequent round and remove any wound markers on that card. Players taking their turn with the zombies may choose to activate a Zombie Hero in lieu of a normal zombie. These figures retain all the abilities they had in life and must be killed again or revived (see below) to remove them from the game.
- Glyphs: Place 6 Artifact glyphs, 3 Revive Glyphs, and 3 Curse Glyphs face-down at random around the map, but not within 6 hexes of a water tile.
-----Artifact (or a glyph of your choice) glyphs represent knowledge pertaining the zombies and the experiments on the island. When a figure reveals this glyph, place it on the army card of that figure. Therafter it may move the glyph to any adjacent friendly figure's army card, or drop it off at the "boat" by standing in its own starting zone.
-----Revive glyphs are cures to the plague. These are also placed on the army card of the figure which revealed it and may be used without spending an action on that unit's turn. Use these glyphs to cure Zombie Plague or revive a friendly unit who has been turned into a Zombie Hero. A unit benefiting from this glyph is immediately brought back to life at full health.
-----Curse glyphs are insidious traps laid for interlopers. A figure revealing this glyph is immediately infected with Zombie Plague and rolls one undefendable attack die against itself.
-----If a unit should die (or become zombified) before it can return to its boat, or use its glyph, it drops the glyph in the space it died in.

Victory Conditions:
- The player to return the most Artifact glyphs to his boat and escape the island wins!

Overview

Side View

"Docks"/Beach

Action shot. The zombies in the back were just used to keep track of who killed the most of them.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Recently, a friend and I won a set of incredibly awesome battle mats at the Texas Team Tournament. We've had few chances to try them out and I thought you might enjoy the pics:

The mats are really, really cool. We've noticed however that the hexes are ever-so-slightly larger than their real counterparts. While this isn't noticable if you're only building small structures on the mat, it becomes a big problem after about 10 hexes. So we've been forced to limit their use to maps with huge footprints and limited structures.
It is great to see some of these in use. Thanks for the information on the hex size issues.

The water ones seem like a must for maritime based scenarios. I never have enough water.

I have the water one saved on a memory card and keep meaning to check how much it will cost to print, but before these were posted I had seen some on TMP by a company named Hotz Artworks that looked good.
They charge $41.99 for a 6'X4' mat (shipped) and they can make them reversible for a little more.

I have a special scenario in mind that is going to require these mats, so I'll have to pick one up soon one way or the other.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Build Notes: Built your map however you want. In my first attempt (depicted below), I used a mostly square map with a single beachhead. Players were forced to channel through a narrow canyon to get access to the glyphs. In hindsight, I would have rather created a circular map with multiple beachheads.

Setup: Players draft 300 points worth of human-only heroes with a maximum range of 1. Deploy on a single 7-hex tile unattached to the map. The first player to win initiative may attach his tile anywhere along the water but may not touch any other type of tile (including the other "boats").
-- Deploy your zombies randomly across the map but not within 6 hexes of any water space. We happen to have 6 squads of zombies, but I suppose you could really use any figure to depict them.

Speical Rules:
- After each player's turn, that player takes a turn with the zombies. A player may not activate any zombies within 3 spaces of his own figure. All normal rules apply to these figures but they also gain the following Special Abilities:
----- Zombie Plague: If a human hero is wounded by a zombie, place a marker of your choice (black, brown, purple, whatever you have handy) on the card. That hero is now infected with Zombie Plague. At the end of each round, place a blood marker on that hero. If this kills the hero, it becomes a Zombie Hero at the beginning of the subsequent round.
----- Nothing Can Stop The Horde: At the end of each round, the last player in the round rolls a single attack die. If a skull is rolled, that player deploys two destroyed zombies back onto the board next to any hidden glyph. If a shield is rolled, redeploy only 1 zombie. If a blank is rolled, no zombies are returned to the board.
- Zombie Hero: Any hero killed by a zombie or its plague becomes a Zombie Hero. Units killed during a round are left on the map to incubate. Place a marker of your choice (again, whatever color or type you have handy) on that figure at the beginning of the subsequent round and remove any wound markers on that card. Players taking their turn with the zombies may choose to activate a Zombie Hero in lieu of a normal zombie. These figures retain all the abilities they had in life and must be killed again or revived (see below) to remove them from the game.
- Glyphs: Place 6 Artifact glyphs, 3 Revive Glyphs, and 3 Curse Glyphs face-down at random around the map, but not within 6 hexes of a water tile.
-----Artifact (or a glyph of your choice) glyphs represent knowledge pertaining the zombies and the experiments on the island. When a figure reveals this glyph, place it on the army card of that figure. Therafter it may move the glyph to any adjacent friendly figure's army card, or drop it off at the "boat" by standing in its own starting zone.
-----Revive glyphs are cures to the plague. These are also placed on the army card of the figure which revealed it and may be used without spending an action on that unit's turn. Use these glyphs to cure Zombie Plague or revive a friendly unit who has been turned into a Zombie Hero. A unit benefiting from this glyph is immediately brought back to life at full health.
-----Curse glyphs are insidious traps laid for interlopers. A figure revealing this glyph is immediately infected with Zombie Plague and rolls one undefendable attack die against itself.
-----If a unit should die (or become zombified) before it can return to its boat, or use its glyph, it drops the glyph in the space it died in.
So that's how I first played it. It was a resounding failure. The zombies were just too much; we never even made it off the beach, much less uncovered any glyphs. This became very obvious when Crixus got zombified, followed by Drake, and then a quick succession of the rest of us after that. Even with some players moving the zombies back and forth, we never even got the chance to advance.

So in hindsight, here's my proposed revisions. I'd love any feedback on these:

* Make a circular map with multiple beachheads.
* A player may take a turn with either the zombies or a single Zombie Hero.
* Zombie Heroes have their movement reduced to 4.
* Zombie Plague is an undefendable attack die against yourself at the end of every round, instead of an automatic wound.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
Re: Zombie Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velenne
Zombie Island

Secret goverment experiments gone awry, oh noes! Team up with or against your friends to find information, a potential cure, or devastating traps while racing the dead. No, it's not Far Cry, it's Zombie Island!
Very cool.

Those zombie heroes sound deadly. No wonder no one survived the island.

Plus, you have them running in to get stuff and then back out. Ouch!

With the water mat you can actually make the full island you mentioned instead of just part of it with a beach like we did. The multiple escape/landing points would be nice.
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The Zombie Island scenario is awesome (with the changes you proposed)! I'll have to try it out.

Newb.
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie
The Zombie Island scenario is awesome (with the changes you proposed)! I'll have to try it out.

Newb.
Thanks! Oh, and one more revision I call the LilNewbie Addendum:

No playing with x14!!
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM

Obsidian3d has disabled reputation
This sounds like a great time. If I can get a game going on the holiday this Friday we may just have to try this out. I'll probably have to make the map a little smaller because I only have four squads of zombies.

Obsidian
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker Skeletor knows what's in an order marker
So many zombie maps so little time

Honestly the reason why I bought Heroscape in the first place was to use my ZOMBIESS minis for scenarios.

We shuold make an all Zombie scenario/map thread.
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian3d
This sounds like a great time. If I can get a game going on the holiday this Friday we may just have to try this out. I'll probably have to make the map a little smaller because I only have four squads of zombies.
Obsidian, feel free to substitute other units/squads as proxies and just treat them as s!!
Old April 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Obsidian3d has disabled reputation
I've got some Horrorclix figures that should do the job nicely.

Obsidian

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios