Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Notices

Old September 18th, 2018, 08:05 PM

DjKniteX Woo who?
Re: CA-SoCal Heroscapers

I haven't played in awhile but if anyone near Game Empire wanna get some games in, I'm down!
Old September 22nd, 2018, 05:55 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Okay, here's the rough outline of what I'm pondering. I really want to get some feedback on this from everyone:
  • Everyone must bring a primary army. This army will be exactly like our armies for the past few years (520 pts, 1 restricted primary unit/300pts for commons, 1 restricted filler unit), except maybe we could allow Marvel. Or maybe not—still flexible on that point.
  • Everyone may bring one or more extra armies; all extra armies go into the "army pool." Armies for the pool follow all the same rules as primary armies except that they cannot include a restricted primary unit (1 restricted filler unit still okay). My reasoning for this is that I think that armies from the pool should not be so good that you'd rather have them than your primary army.
  • We will divide into as many games as necessary to allow all participants to play. Basically, it'll break down like this:
    • 6 players – 2v1, 2v1
    • 7 players – 2v2, 2v1
    • 8 players – 2v2, 2v2
    • 9 players – 2v1, 2v1, 2v1
    • 10 players – 2v2, 2v1, 2v1
    • 11 players – 2v2, 2v2, 2v1
    • 12 players – 2v2, 2v2, 2v2
    • 13 players – 2v2, 2v1, 2v1, 2v1
    • and so forth
  • Every game will consist of 2 people on one side and either 1 or 2 people on the other. If there are two, that's team play; if one, that's solo play.
    • For the first round, the only rule we'll follow is that newbies (meaning our younger players and anyone who's playing for for the first or second time or whatever) don't get assigned to play solo. Otherwise assignments can just be random.
    • For the second and subsequent rounds, solo play (if any) goes to the currently top-ranked players.
    • Solo players must use their primary army, and must choose one extra army from the pool.
    • Team players will probably each use their primary army. However, they may, after consultation, replace one (and only one) of the two primary armies with an extra army. To make this decision, the team may consider how their armies play together, and the terrain of the map, and the primary army of their opponent(s), but not any extra army that their opponent(s) may choose. Final army choices for both sides are announced simultaneously. Therefore, it could be a viable strategy for a team to swap out an army just to insure that their opponent(s) don't know exactly what armies they'll be facing.
  • Each game is played on a combo map, which consists of two standard BoV maps (maybe add in the ARV maps as well?), which are glued together by a few small terrain pieces, which act as a "bridge" between the two maps. On the bridge will be 2 or 3 glyphs—I'm thinking perhaps 2 power glyphs and a treasure glyph. We could use the same glyph list that we made (but never used) for last year.
    • Glyphs encourage armies to cross over from one map to the other.
    • There are always 4 armies per combo map. Since each combo map has 2 maps, and each individual map has 2 starting zones, this works out perfectly: one army per starting zone.
    • Combo maps are glued together such that starting zones are at either end. Teams sit side-by-side.
    • Games are played for 45 minutes or until one pair of armies is destroyed, as per usual.
  • At the end of each game, scoring works pretty much like normal:
    • Count up however many points each army has left on the board. Only points actually on the board count:
      • If you bring less than 520 pts in your army, that puts you at a disadvantage immediately.
      • Undropped AE, unsummoned rechets, clinging gnids, and Mok-riding dwarves—plus anything else I forgot about that has either left the board or never got to it in the first place—don't count towards your points. If it ain't on the board, it don't count.
      • Team players each get the points remaining for their own armies. Solo players get the average of the points remaining between their two armies. I think it has to be this way for solo players, because otherwise they'll just completely sacrifice their extra army and turtle with their primary. Team players could either do points remaining for their own armies, like I said originally, or they could do average points remaining between their two armies (i.e. same as solo players), which might encourage them to have each other's backs a bit more. Either way could work.
    • Wins are assessed as follows:
      • If a solo player has more points (total points for both their armies, in this case) than the opposing team's total, the solo player gets a win.
      • If the team has more points remaining, they each get a win.
      • That might seem at first like there's an imbalance somehow, but obviously you can't give the solo player 2 wins or anything wacky like that. It should all work out mathematically.
    • Strength-of-schedule is assessed as follows:
      • Add up the wins of all your opponents.
      • For any given game, if you played team opponents, just add their number of wins together.
      • For a game in which you played a solo opponent, multiply their number of wins by 2. (I'm pretty sure you have to do this to make the math work.)
    • Tourney winner is then determined totally normally:
      • First add up your wins.
      • For players with equal numbers of wins, compare strength-of-schedule.
      • For players with equal numbers of wins and strength-of-schedule, compare total points remaining across all games.
I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it. We may need a little more bookkeeping, like:
  • We need a little more formality on how we choose armies from the pool. Specifically, what happens if two people want the same army from the pool?
  • We also need a little more formality in actually presenting the choices to the opposing side. Probably just every army is written down on a piece of paper and that way everyone can trade papers beforehand and look over the armies they'll be facing.
  • We need to make sure solo players have 2 different colors of 20-sided's and 2 different colors of OMs, so their armies can be kept completely separate.
  • We need to make sure we have enough armies in the pool that everyone who wants to trade out can do so. Essentially, we need as many armies as there are individual maps (not combo maps).
  • We need to choose the maps ahead of time and pair them up such that they will fit together nicely (as superfrog pointed out).
  • I'll put together a list of every unit in the game that works on "friendly" units, in case people want to refer to that when building armies.
  • We'll have to have a way to track what belongs to who. With combo maps composed of 2 full maps plus bridge pieces, and extra armies plus extra 20-sided's and OMs, making sure all parts get back to their prospective owners will be crucial.
Anything else people can think of? Anyone want to weigh in on the points I left open for discussion? Anyone want to say this is all too crazy and we should do something else entirely? It's not too late to change our minds on anything at this point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 22nd, 2018, 11:39 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

That's all long and complicated but if you go through the trouble of reading it it's quite straightforward and spells things out quite nicely.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 02:45 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjKniteX View Post
I haven't played in awhile but if anyone near Game Empire wanna get some games in, I'm down!
Do you think you'll be able to make it to our tourney on 11/3? It'll be in Sherman Oaks, not too far from Pasadena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
That's all long and complicated but if you go through the trouble of reading it it's quite straightforward and spells things out quite nicely.
Yeah, it's longer than it strictly needs to be, because there's some discussion of "why" that isn't technically necessary for understanding "how." Once we have the thread up, I'll write up a brief summary, and then put just the actual rules part in a spoiler.

Oh, and speaking of the thread: @warriorneedsfoodbadly , if you have a chance to make it tomorrow, awesome. Otherwise, I can prolly hack it up tomorrow night.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 25th, 2018, 06:52 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Oh, and speaking of the thread: @warriorneedsfoodbadly , if you have a chance to make it tomorrow, awesome. Otherwise, I can prolly hack it up tomorrow night.
Okay, it took me 2 nights to get to it, but it's done now. Please, everyone head over there and pile on with your comments/objections/hopes/dreams/complaints/aspirations/suggestions. I love hearing from my target audience.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old October 29th, 2018, 02:29 AM

DjKniteX Woo who?

Dang don't think I'll be able to make it out next weekend D:
Old November 1st, 2018, 04:55 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjKniteX View Post
Dang don't think I'll be able to make it out next weekend D:
Awwwww. Well, I'll move you to the "no" column for now then. Hopefully you can make it next year, or, hey: let us know if something frees up and you can make it this year after all. Last minute folks are always welcome!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old January 8th, 2019, 01:18 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Okay, who wants to play sometime this Spring? Doesn't have to be a tournament or anything, I'd just like to get together and play some 'Scape.
Old January 10th, 2019, 01:24 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Okay, who wants to play sometime this Spring? Doesn't have to be a tournament or anything, I'd just like to get together and play some 'Scape.
Sure. We'll most likely be down, depending on exact dates and all that.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old January 11th, 2019, 01:17 PM
This is merely a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Quote:
Sure. We'll most likely be down, depending on exact dates and all that.
I stumbled across @CharosInCharge on facebook, he said he could bring 3-5 (again depending on dates).
Old January 11th, 2019, 06:04 PM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd be down for something depending on time. Spring is busy season for me but I'll try to be there if you plan something.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old January 13th, 2019, 03:57 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Sounds good, guys! Looking forward to settling on some actual dates.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers