Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old November 29th, 2018, 09:47 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Talking Re: Index of 3D Printed Stl Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
White/black/grey are all good base colors for mini painting. As for the different plastics, I'm not familiar enough with both to recommend one over the other but I've seen people in the past say they get better results with one (don't recall which one though) with their printer and paints.
This is my preference as well for stuff being painted. I generally use black for all my painted terrain.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old November 30th, 2018, 12:30 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Index of 3D Printed Stl Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I have a quick question. I'm getting ready to add an Ender 3 to my Christmas wishlist. What type of filament would you recommend for a first timer that is planning on printing some figures and perhaps some terrain?
I like white PLA for miniatures and black PLA for items I don't plan to paint. The white shows off the details better. The black looks better as a finished product.

I've used other colors, but just for specific things. (Green for pine trees, brown for bases, etc...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
White/black/grey are all good base colors for mini painting. As for the different plastics, I'm not familiar enough with both to recommend one over the other but I've seen people in the past say they get better results with one (don't recall which one though) with their printer and paints.
This is my preference as well for stuff being painted. I generally use black for all my painted terrain.
Having received printed pieces from both of you I probably should have known the color's you guys preferred. Material however I had no clue. The only thing I knew of was that I bought some ABS pellets that I melted down with MEK to make a paste to fix my camper.

I have yet to paint either the white figures from WK or the black figures from Trex. Why do each of you feel that your choice is better. Not trying to start a disagreement but I respect both of your works and wanted to understand your opinions.

Mainly the part I have in bold above. Seems like you both say that Black makes a better final product but white's detail is better?

So if I'm a mediocre painter would more detail be better or does the black looking better as a finished product be better to prop up the paint job?

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 30th, 2018, 01:32 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Just guessing here, but I would surmise that printing in white being bright when put under light makes it easier to see the details for you the painter, which makes painting easier. Black absorbs the light though, so if you are not going to be painting it the darkness helps cover up the flaws in the printing process that you would normally cover up with paint.
Old November 30th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I think Yodaking is right. There are additives in different colors that make a physical difference in strength and resolution, but i can't say that is the case here.

I like the look if the black for electronics enclosures, and other engineering final products. It looks like an off the shelf part. White looks obviously 3d printed, as does orange and some other colors.

I mostly use PLA+ from esun for my figures. I like it better then regular PLA (not as brittle, and prints better on my printer.)

I use ABS for things that have to be water resistant. But the ABS does not print as well on my printer. Large items tend to warp at the edges, and the resolution isn't quite as good. I'll also use AND if I want a cleaner finish, since AND can be polished with acetone.

I've used clear PET for elemental and water resistant items as well. But PET is stringy and more difficult to get a good print.
Old December 3rd, 2018, 05:48 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

I always print minis in grey PLA, and then prime them in grey or brown.
Old December 7th, 2018, 10:28 AM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I recently been updating my classic and road hexes based on inputs from others. (Note that they are a little tight on my printer, but they seem to work well for others.) Also added textures:
DELETED (see Thingiverse)

Last edited by White Knight; October 27th, 2022 at 12:51 PM.
Old December 7th, 2018, 10:58 AM

serial2k9 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Hello,

I'm new here in the forum...
I'm from Austria and have seen your STL files of the HS Hexes. I did a little redesign to them and mixed it with other models I have found. I will try to make them locking like the original stones.

The first test Hex is printing at the moment, I'll let you know if it fits as I wanted.
Download STL file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eg...vAyE0XykBngzxO

Best Regards
Alex
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:28 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I recently been updating my classic and road hexes based on inputs from others. (Note that they are a little tight on my printer, but they seem to work well for others.) Also added textures:

Classic single hex

Classic double hex

Classic 3 hex

Classic 4 hex

Classic 7 hex

Classic 24 hex

Road single hex

Road double hex

Road 3 hex

Road 4 hex

Road 5 hex straight

Road 7 hex

Bridge half

@Yodaking , can you add these to the OP?

Yeah, it may not be today but I can do an update here. Do you want me to just replace the old links where I can or should I have both links available?
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it may not be today but I can do an update here. Do you want me to just replace the old links where I can or should I have both links available?
Go ahead and delete the old links for the 5 and 7 hexes. The singles and can stay since they have different heights and so can the twisted hexes. Also delete the old bridge files.
Old December 7th, 2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial2k9 View Post
Hello,

I'm new here in the forum...
I'm from Austria and have seen your STL files of the HS Hexes. I did a little redesign to them and mixed it with other models I have found. I will try to make them locking like the original stones.

The first test Hex is printing at the moment, I'll let you know if it fits as I wanted.
Download STL file:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1eg...vAyE0XykBngzxO

Best Regards
Alex
Welcome to the forum! Once you get them sized correctly, please post your files. Thanks!
Old December 7th, 2018, 02:55 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:

Oh wow...now I really need to get a printer for xmas. I can finally complete my RttFF set by printing the bridge wall piece that I'm missing.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 7th, 2018, 02:56 PM
A Man of Taste

Does anyone know what type of plastic the original tiles are made from?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing