Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old December 4th, 2018, 06:55 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

No deck building in KeyForge. Each deck is prebuilt and made to stay configured as is. capsocrates may have been thinking about Shards of Infinity when typing which is a deck building game.

Newb.
Old December 4th, 2018, 08:34 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Okay, so it's not a deckbuilder, but it's not a Collectible Card Game or a Trading Card Game either. The mechanics are like a deck builder in that each player has a unique deck that they play cards from, and the deck recycles. But it is true that it is not actually a deck builder, since each procedurally generated deck in existence is unique and immutable.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 4th, 2018, 10:21 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Played Near and Far in character mode today. Great fun!

Old December 4th, 2018, 10:59 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I have some family in town for the holidays and most of my board games I would describe as medium to heavy in terms of rules and strategy, or have a 3-4 player cap, so we were looking for something a little lighter and easier to access by a wider range of players for 5 or more and my Nephew ended up buying a copy of Ticket to Ride. He had played it once before and I had heard good things about it but never played. We ended up playing it twice last night, it was pretty fun and I'm considering picking up my own copy now. It's an easy access game for non-hard core gamers but still is interesting and competitive enough for those who are.
I also think Carcassone fits into this mold. Its a good boardgame intro for those into jigsaw puzzles.
My family is huge into Ticket to Ride and we have, I think five maps. USA, Europe, Nordic Countries, and the Swiss and India set. We mix it up but Nordic and Swiss are great for smaller 2-3 player games.

Based on my families interest here I can also agree with Spidey's recommendation. We picked up Carcassone as last years family Christmas present and the same group also loves that game. We spend some time playing Splendor as well. That gives us a nice collection by adding in a tile placement game and an engine building game. If you can find it my family also likes the Archeology: the new Expedition card game. I think it goes up to 6 players.

I'm thinking to build on the Splendor fun with my family and adding in a deck building game. I'm really looking at the Star Realms:Frontier set since it is more COOP focused but still allows for the default PvP version. I was also looking at the Heroes Realm version with the Campaign deck for Coop but it was more investment to get the Coop experience so I'm leaning toward the Star Realms: Frontier game instead. At least that's what I asked for for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I'll hang on to a handful of favorites, but most of them are dust collectors. Some of them, I may donate for prize support at a local convention I will demo games at in February. Money raised goes towards helping veterans, as so many commit suicide every day.
For the record, this makes me smile. As the brother of veteran that nearly succeeded in increasing that stat I'm grateful for any program that attempts to help.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 5th, 2018, 09:30 AM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

As an owner of both Star Realms Frontiers and Hero Realms with the campaign deck, I can recommend them both. The former co-op is more transient, but still plenty of fun. The latter co-op does require the purchase of a hero deck for each player (about $10 each) but since it is a campaign, the heroes level up as you play through the campaign and gain new abilities. You can then use the customized, leveled up decks in PvP. Star Realms does have Commander decks as a standalone purchase, which are pretty awesome, but there is no way to level them up in co-op.

As games, I prefer Hero Realms over Star Realms. It feels like the theme of the cards comes through stronger in the fantasy heroes and monsters context than it does in the space ship context.

If you do get Frontiers, your next expansion should be Colony Wars. With that and Frontiers you can play up to six players, and Colony Wars is really nicely balanced, with great cards.

EDIT: Hero Realms has a Kickstarter right now that includes new cards for the game, part 2 of the campaign, ancestry decks that can be used to modify the hero decks, and a pledge level that also includes all of the existing Hero Realms releases. The price is good for the value (as usual in Kickstarter).

--
--
--

--
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:10 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
As an owner of both Star Realms Frontiers and Hero Realms with the campaign deck, I can recommend them both. The former co-op is more transient, but still plenty of fun. The latter co-op does require the purchase of a hero deck for each player (about $10 each) but since it is a campaign, the heroes level up as you play through the campaign and gain new abilities. You can then use the customized, leveled up decks in PvP. Star Realms does have Commander decks as a standalone purchase, which are pretty awesome, but there is no way to level them up in co-op.

As games, I prefer Hero Realms over Star Realms. It feels like the theme of the cards comes through stronger in the fantasy heroes and monsters context than it does in the space ship context.

If you do get Frontiers, your next expansion should be Colony Wars. With that and Frontiers you can play up to six players, and Colony Wars is really nicely balanced, with great cards.

EDIT: Hero Realms has a Kickstarter right now that includes new cards for the game, part 2 of the campaign, ancestry decks that can be used to modify the hero decks, and a pledge level that also includes all of the existing Hero Realms releases. The price is good for the value (as usual in Kickstarter).
$99 for everything is tempting. My biggest fear though is that no one in my family has ever played any Deck Building games. My main draw is the Coop play though and this does look to be a great option. I leaned Star Realms Frontier for the fact that it was essentially stand alone for the Coop experience and my son leans a touch more sci-fi than fantasy.

Dang...I've never kickstarted anything but you make a very convincing argument.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old December 5th, 2018, 12:38 PM

White Wizard Games is a great place to start with Kickstarter. They have run multiple successful kickstarters (several of which I have backed). The only tough part is it will most likely be Q3 or Q4 next year before you actually get the merchandise. Plenty of time to let the anticipation mount.

--
--
--

--
Old December 5th, 2018, 01:46 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey'tilIDie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I have some family in town for the holidays and most of my board games I would describe as medium to heavy in terms of rules and strategy, or have a 3-4 player cap, so we were looking for something a little lighter and easier to access by a wider range of players for 5 or more and my Nephew ended up buying a copy of Ticket to Ride. He had played it once before and I had heard good things about it but never played. We ended up playing it twice last night, it was pretty fun and I'm considering picking up my own copy now. It's an easy access game for non-hard core gamers but still is interesting and competitive enough for those who are.
I also think Carcassone fits into this mold. Its a good boardgame intro for those into jigsaw puzzles.
My family is huge into Ticket to Ride and we have, I think five maps. USA, Europe, Nordic Countries, and the Swiss and India set. We mix it up but Nordic and Swiss are great for smaller 2-3 player games.

Based on my families interest here I can also agree with Spidey's recommendation. We picked up Carcassone as last years family Christmas present and the same group also loves that game. We spend some time playing Splendor as well. That gives us a nice collection by adding in a tile placement game and an engine building game. If you can find it my family also likes the Archeology: the new Expedition card game. I think it goes up to 6 players.

I'm thinking to build on the Splendor fun with my family and adding in a deck building game. I'm really looking at the Star Realms:Frontier set since it is more COOP focused but still allows for the default PvP version. I was also looking at the Heroes Realm version with the Campaign deck for Coop but it was more investment to get the Coop experience so I'm leaning toward the Star Realms: Frontier game instead. At least that's what I asked for for Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
I'll hang on to a handful of favorites, but most of them are dust collectors. Some of them, I may donate for prize support at a local convention I will demo games at in February. Money raised goes towards helping veterans, as so many commit suicide every day.
For the record, this makes me smile. As the brother of veteran that nearly succeeded in increasing that stat I'm grateful for any program that attempts to help.
Deck-builders are a favorite in my family, and we also enjoy many of the above mentioned, family weight games (Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Splendor).

This is just my two cents having played a number of deck builders, but I still think Dominion (base set) holds up very well considering it started the genre of a game primarily designed around building a deck to produce victory points.

We also have the DC Deck-Building Game, Ascension, and Star Realms, but Dominion is probably the one that gets pulled out and played the most. And even after many years, the variety included in the base game is enough to keep us coming back and not feel burned out on the same cards every game. I think the base set comes with 25-26 available cards, of which you use 10 per game. So it would be rare to pull the same 10 cards from game to game.

It also is very accessible. Kids love it, friends love it, wife loves it. The theme is not very immersive to me, but I don't even care. I feel like I'm building an efficient engine to acquire victory points rather than building up a kingdom of wealth and prosperity, but it's just a fun game and you grow to recognize and get excited about certain card combos more than any of the artwork or theme.

Star Realms is probably my favorite 2 player deck builder. My kids love that one too. I haven't played enough Hero Realms and never felt the need to purchase it because Star Realms is so good for us.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in and give Dominion a plug. An oldie, but a goodie and the original.
Old December 5th, 2018, 01:54 PM
C3G's First Fan

Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth Spidey'tilIDie is a man of the cloth

I also love Star Realms and Dominion. I own Star Realms and a friend owns Dominion. Have thoroughly enjoyed both and the expansions just add to the experience with both. Just played Star Realms with the fleet commanders the other day. It was still fun but changed the game in interesting ways.

Semi-Retired C3G Hero
(and first Official Member of the C3G Target Audience!)

The correct way to add C3G playtests to posts.
My favorite day EVER on heroscapers.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.
RIP George Perez
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:07 PM

My take on Dominion vs. Star Realms is that Dominion is a much better game, but Star Realms is an easier/better introduction to the genre (and much easier to setup).

--
--
--

--
Old December 5th, 2018, 02:39 PM
A Man of Taste

My son watch a video of Dominion and he didn't seem too excited. That's why I thought a solid coop version could get him into it and then after some time we can try the PvP game which could possible expand to other Deck Builders.

Old December 5th, 2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
My son watch a video of Dominion and he didn't seem too excited. That's why I thought a solid coop version could get him into it and then after some time we can try the PvP game which could possible expand to other Deck Builders.
I think it's safe to say that a game like Star Realms is more *exciting* than Dominion. I think you're making the right call.

--
--
--

--

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games