Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers
Meet Other Scapers Find other scapers in your area

Notices

Old May 24th, 2017, 01:18 AM

TheTravelingScaper is surprisingly tart
Red face Re: New England Scene Revival

Well I shan't believe this. People do play Heroscape in Connecticut. I was so happy to see @OrcElfArmyOne is a resident of the homeland that it reminded me that 75% of the Scape community is over by Utah/Idaho for whatever reason . Why must New England have so few yet so many?

Missing 24 Units until I have 1 of everything. Missing stuff from waves 4,7,8,9,10,13 AA,Skahen Brown & Woo
My Tradeslist : http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=51248
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:10 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!
Re: New England Scene Revival

Permission to revive this revival thread (19 or 20 roll please). I have been having the urge to play something somewhere weather its a tournament just for fun or whatever.

I have a group of 4 maybe more that I have gotten hyped to do something. Not sure if I should make a demo or run a tournament somewhere to get some fresh faces or involve the veterans here that seems to be plentiful in the NE area.

What is the condition of you fellow players and others and the locations including shops nearby? It's been a while since the game came out but my group still plays it strong.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

If you have that many to start with then I encourage you to follow the steps in my “first tournament” thread, linked below, and see what happens. If you build it, they will come.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 12th, 2018, 02:20 PM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
If you have that many to start with then I encourage you to follow the steps in my “first tournament” thread, linked below, and see what happens. If you build it, they will come.
That was precisely my thought exactly as I have read through both threads (Tourney and demo) fully just before posting this. Your explanation is very throughout as are the questions that followed.

My main concerns is prize pools as I wouldn't know how many people would come and therefore wouldn't know how much to buy for a prize, maybe I can just divide the entry fee and solely use that?

Another than that I tried clicking some download links in the threads but they were outdated, namely the download to the player sheets (I could make them but if there is a download that would be easier)

Because the scapers in NE are scattered and not as active as they once appeared to be I am not sure the implementations of "build it and they will come" works in our case. How do i invite people other than on a post here?

Old February 12th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Excellent questions!

The answer is, you do *everything* to get people to come. Bring your friends who already play. If there are others who might like it, tell them about it too. Tell those people that it's not really a competitive tournament, it's just an opportunity to play a fun game with a welcoming community.

And that's what it will be, because you and your friends will be welcoming to everybody, and you will be able to supply armies for the people who are coming and who let you know. Explore local options for locations and find one that you think might work. It may or may not be the closest to you.

Then post something in the Events forum here, looking for ideas for a date and for a format. That will build some energy here. Also, in that same thread, tag the other NE 'Scapers, and maybe send them a group PM also. In other words, do *everything* to get people to come. I also have normally publicized upcoming events on BGG, but I don't know if that ever makes a difference.

As for your "prize pool," don't worry about that until later in the process. What I do is I collect $5 from everyone who attends as an entrance fee, and then I buy a few gift certificates with that money to give out as prizes. I don't keep any of it, of course.

Start a thread and see what happens. If it's just the four of you that will be fun, but if you get 8 then you will have a real tournament structure. Just see what happens. I guarantee that if you *don't* build it, then they will never come.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 12th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Excellent questions!

The answer is, you do *everything* to get people to come. Bring your friends who already play. If there are others who might like it, tell them about it too. Tell those people that it's not really a competitive tournament, it's just an opportunity to play a fun game with a welcoming community.

And that's what it will be, because you and your friends will be welcoming to everybody, and you will be able to supply armies for the people who are coming and who let you know. Explore local options for locations and find one that you think might work. It may or may not be the closest to you.

Then post something in the Events forum here, looking for ideas for a date and for a format. That will build some energy here. Also, in that same thread, tag the other NE 'Scapers, and maybe send them a group PM also. In other words, do *everything* to get people to come. I also have normally publicized upcoming events on BGG, but I don't know if that ever makes a difference.

As for your "prize pool," don't worry about that until later in the process. What I do is I collect $5 from everyone who attends as an entrance fee, and then I buy a few gift certificates with that money to give out as prizes. I don't keep any of it, of course.

Start a thread and see what happens. If it's just the four of you that will be fun, but if you get 8 then you will have a real tournament structure. Just see what happens. I guarantee that if you *don't* build it, then they will never come.
I will be bringing all my friends who play and inviting some that used to along with other potential candidates. As mentioned in your OP on how to make a tournament it will be fun no matter what you bring and how many people go so fun wont be an issue and I intend it to be a structured tournament that is more causal than not.

I want this to just be a whole bunch of people to kickstart the NE heroscape community again. That being said is there someway to search members here from location? I can only see through past posts of who to tag in a post and they may not check here anymore. (also how do I tag people in posts?)

Before I make an official post about this I just want to get all my ducks in a row which includes figuring out how one of these will run and score the location so just a few more questions if you don't mind.

Because this will just be sort of a head count event prizes most likely won't be included but the entry fee will be divided for prizes. I intend this event to be sometime during the summer as that is where a lot of kids have free time and seems like the best time to give me and others time to plan to go.

I love your idea of name tags, I will definitely be doing that. In the sign up sheet (that includes name, army used, I forget what else) is it unheard of to have an email section, in case I want to organize an event afterwards?

I believe I have a good idea of a location, and have 2 ideas. 1) years ago I found this game store that was selling heroscape on the back wall, I picked up what I needed and left. That store may be more likely to host one of these events as they have shown devotion to the game. 2) When wandering a mall I found this new location (this maps turn over rate seems to be every few years) and this place was a board game location and they had classes and such and seemed like a great spot to rent. Not sure which will prove the better spot.

I had a question about how the Swiss point system worked. I played MtG so I have an idea of how to run something like this but the points throw me off a bit. So I'm thinking give 45 minutes per round and its your remaining points (partial squads and wounded heroes counted as well) and whatever you took out, add those up and also count win and loses. Is this correct with how this Swiss goes?

Last question I can think of atm: Maps. I have access to a good amount of terrain pieces but want to maximize how many maps I can build myself. Amount of maps wont be a problem, ill be driving my 4 friends, maybe more, and they can help me setup. Where can I find a good thread of tournament-typical maps and how to build them? Sorry for the long post but I am a very organized person and need to figure everything out before I do something like this.

Old February 12th, 2018, 04:51 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

To tag somebody, put @ before their username: @itsbuzzi

Any game store will work. Find one that has nice people running it, they might even try and hook some people into coming.

Tournament style is the least of your worries. Just pair the highest records of players, and go down from there. Switch if necessary to avoid rematches. Count points as a tie-breaker, either partial or full, it doesn't matter. I'd give at least 55 minutes per round, though.

Check out the Battlefields of Valhalla, the Wargrounds of 'Scape, or the Architects of the Realms of Valhalla. They each have display threads of maps that are tournament ready, with build instructions.
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post

Any game store will work. Find one that has nice people running it, they might even try and hook some people into coming.

Tournament style is the least of your worries. Just pair the highest records of players, and go down from there. Switch if necessary to avoid rematches. Count points as a tie-breaker, either partial or full, it doesn't matter. I'd give at least 55 minutes per round, though.

Check out the Battlefields of Valhalla, the Wargrounds of 'Scape, or the Architects of the Realms of Valhalla. They each have display threads of maps that are tournament ready, with build instructions.
Thank you! I will look around for game stores nearby as that seems to be the best place to start.

Because I'll be the TM I will need to deal with tournament style at some point but the standard seems to be what I described with map rotation, ties, and players. As for time I've read through the comments of both sticky posts about hosting and it seems 40 or 45 is more than enough time, but I never did this, so I can change to 55, nothing set in stone yet.

I checked out the BoV, Wargounds and ARV and am a little confused as to why they are seperated. Are some accepted by some and others by others? Thank you!

Old February 12th, 2018, 06:36 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
Quote:

Thank you! I will look around for game stores nearby as that seems to be the best place to start.

Because I'll be the TM I will need to deal with tournament style at some point but the standard seems to be what I described with map rotation, ties, and players. As for time I've read through the comments of both sticky posts about hosting and it seems 40 or 45 is more than enough time, but I never did this, so I can change to 55, nothing set in stone yet.

I checked out the BoV, Wargounds and ARV and am a little confused as to why they are seperated. Are some accepted by some and others by others? Thank you!
BOV and Wargrounds of scape are older Map groups made for competitive tournament play. The ARV is a new group that makes map contests for the community to get involved. The maps get judged by the judges to make a top ten, and get voted on by the community to see who wins a prize. The goal is to make maps that can be used by tournament organizers to have fun on balanced maps. (I'm one of the founding members.)

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 12th, 2018, 06:42 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

The BoV was the original (and still the greatest). They've been judging tournament maps since this forum started, more or less. Not too long after the game was discontinued, that project slowed down significantly. The WoS started to fill that niche. They had a faster process, and were geared towards accepting maps for online play in addition to for tabletop play. For a variety of reasons, that project faltered soon after it started, although they did induct a few (great) maps. The ARV is a new project, based on a contest Sir Heroscape ran a year or so ago. For that, they take map entries based on a theme, review the 10 most popular, and induct the ones that are tournament worthy.

tl;dr

They're from different eras of the site, and each has a slightly different focus. The BoV is the original, the others tried to fill the hole that the BoV left on the site (and in our hearts).
Old February 12th, 2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsbuzzi View Post
Quote:

BOV and Wargrounds of scape are older Map groups made for competitive tournament play. The ARV is a new group that makes map contests for the community to get involved. The maps get judged by the judges to make a top ten, and get voted on by the community to see who wins a prize. The goal is to make maps that can be used by tournament organizers to have fun on balanced maps. (I'm one of the founding members.)
Ok so all maps in all these categories are fair game when it comes to competitive maps some are just older than others and in the works. Thanks i'll check them out!

Old February 12th, 2018, 06:57 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Correctamundo. Have fun.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Meet Other Scapers